Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 01 Aug 2014, 20:43
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
"Fire Hydrant 3.0" 192MB java, flash, firefox,Gimpshop,"
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 4 [54 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sun 07 Oct 2007, 22:22    Post subject:  

Boo2themoon wrote:
Hi ttuuxxx,
Tested FH on 4 machines.
Desktops.
Sony Vaio P4 512ram 64 mb nvidia geforce T.
Home Built P3 380ram 16mb voodoo 3d.
Laptops.
Acer 292 P4 Centrino 1000mb ram 64mb vram ati.
Compaq Evo n610c P4 512 ram 32mb vram ati.
Desktops work fine but the Laptops freeze at shutdown (black screen) with no way to save.
Tried Barrys pup3 and it shuts down fine on all machines.
Hope this is of use.

ok i have an idea, since i didn't remove anything that would cause that problem it could be that its default windows manager is IceWm could you please boot up your lappy and change manager back to the original JWM and try to shut down, and if thats what it is.then i have a some place to start. Thanks for your time. Also if anyone has a laptop could you also try to see if you encounter the same shut-down problem? thanks Smile ttuuxxx
muggins

PostPosted: Sun 07 Oct 2007, 22:39    Post subject:  

i thought i'd add to ttuuxxx's comments about available downloaders for puppy.

on the commandline, for resuming broken downloads, you have available wget, curl, & aria2c. wget already is in puppy, and for curl, & aria2c, just do a forum search. aria2c also has the ability to download torrents & metalinks.

for gui downloading, puppy already comes with xwget & axel. alternatives, available through forum search, are aria, d4x & urlgfe.

alternatively, as mentioned by ttuuxxx, if you're using a mozilla based browser, you have flashgot, & downthemall, avialable as extensions. with flashgot, you can get it to use aria, d4x or curl as default downloader. (i've never had any success at using it with wget).

for windows users that want a small, easy to use, resumable downloader, there's dirk paehl's brilliant little wget gui frontend available here:

http://www.paehl.com/open_source/?GNU_Wget

i've always got a copy of this on a usbkey for use in net cafes.
TheNose100

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct 2007, 01:20    Post subject:  Laptops
Subject description: Laptop shutdown problem...

ttuuxxx wrote:
Boo2themoon wrote:
Hi ttuuxxx,
Tested FH on 4 machines.

Desktops work fine but the Laptops freeze at shutdown (black screen) with no way to save.
Tried Barrys pup3 and it shuts down fine on all machines.
Hope this is of use.

Thanks for your time. Also if anyone has a laptop could you also try to see if you encounter the same shut-down problem? thanks Smile ttuuxxx

I have two laptops. Both Toshiba Satellite's. Once I DL both yours and the stock 3.0 ver, I'll let you know. - For what it's worth, the older laptop that I have works flawlessly with 2.17 pup. the new machine, the sound won't work. and I haven't tried to figured it out, as the sound didn't work with Ubuntu "out of the box" either. - Kinda sucks, as it's the one that has linux on it. Sorta I wish I had waited and did a little research first. Oh well. Rolling Eyes
ecomoney

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct 2007, 03:50    Post subject: Congratulations  

Congratualations on your distro, it seems it is the first puppy three series derivative and obviously it works well. it sound as if you put a lot of hard work into it. I will download and give it a try. Theres a lot to be said for "fatter" puppies with everything just working.

Sorry, my server is down atm!
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct 2007, 05:30    Post subject: Re: Congratulations  

ecomoney wrote:
Congratualations on your distro, it seems it is the first puppy three series derivative and obviously it works well. it sound as if you put a lot of hard work into it. I will download and give it a try. Theres a lot to be said for "fatter" puppies with everything just working.

Thanks ecomoney that was nice of you, Puppy 3.0 had a PPoE problem, so this one did also, plus it hard a couple of default broken link, I've now repaired that, and installed the PPoE fix. Right now I'm uploading revamped version, it will be 3.01. And will be ready for download in 3hr 20Min, so if you could hold off just a bit, you'll get a better version, plus i added a couple of icons and galculator also with a shortcut, I also made gaim automatically log in, because when i was in the #puppylinux the other day I ran into a person who didn't speak English fluently and would of downloaded another version of 3.0 just because it auto logged in to pidgin. So i guess thats important to some.
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct 2007, 06:08    Post subject: Re: Congratulations  

[quote="ttuuxxx"]
ecomoney wrote:

Also here's what the new desktop look likes in 3.01 with the newly added icons, Xine, Pidgin, Galculator
newdesktop.gif
Description 
gif

Download 
Filename  newdesktop.gif 
Filesize  90.46 KB 
Downloaded  1111 Time(s) 
TheNose100

PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct 2007, 22:34    Post subject:  Awash in with glee at firehydrant...  

[quote="ttuuxxx"]
ttuuxxx wrote:
ecomoney wrote:

Also here's what the new desktop look likes in 3.01 with the newly added icons, Xine, Pidgin, Galculator

I've DL the 3.01 version. I must say that I'm impressed with it. I'm going to have to put this one on one of my machines. Damn, almost everything is there that I want. I'm going to have to figure out how to hook an EVDO modem to it. Also. Does your default music player have support for podcasts? - I'm still new to Linux, so having all of the things installed like you did, really REALLY helps. FWIW, I loaded up the live CD of 3.01, and it worked as expected. I didn't have any wi-fi around to test that end of things, but that's ok. I'll have a chance soon enough. Oh, and this was on a Toshiba Satellite A45 that I tried it on.

-Randy
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sat 13 Oct 2007, 10:09    Post subject: Re: Congratulations  

ecomoney wrote:
Congratulations on your distro, it seems it is the first puppy three series derivative and obviously it works well. it sound as if you put a lot of hard work into it. I will download and give it a try. Theres a lot to be said for "fatter" puppies with everything just working.

Hi I've been reading your forums, your build is usually on 2.15ce, i was wondering why not switch to Fire Hydrant, it works better then ever and I'm constantly upgrading it, the only problem i have is Xvesa and that it doesn't work, its a puppy 3.0 flaw, when you remaster, at no fault of my own. Other than that Xorg works perfectly and s-video, etc. You said earlier you would try it out, well what did you think? I'm always open to suggestions. Well thanks for your time, ttuuxxx

Ps in the future I'll be implementing numerous ideas and changes that i've already worked out. Until then enjoy:)
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct 2007, 10:02    Post subject: Backgrouds for Fire Hydrant
Subject description: 2 new backgrounds same background, different Fire Hydrant, tell me what you think?

2 new backgrounds same background, different Fire Hydrant, tell me what you think?
firehydrant2-1024x768.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  firehydrant2-1024x768.png 
Filesize  126.89 KB 
Downloaded  898 Time(s) 
firehydrant3.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  firehydrant3.png 
Filesize  128.3 KB 
Downloaded  865 Time(s) 
darrelljon

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct 2007, 15:42    Post subject:  

The first one's great, the second one spoils it.
ronsteptx

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2007, 20:53    Post subject: Fire Hydrant
Subject description: Live CD?

Is the Fire Hydrant download a Live CD?
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Tue 16 Oct 2007, 00:19    Post subject: Re: Fire Hydrant
Subject description: Live CD?

ronsteptx wrote:
Is the Fire Hydrant download a Live CD?

Its a live Cd or you can install it to just about anything, hard drives, usb sticks, etc

thanks ttuuxxx
pedro

PostPosted: Tue 16 Oct 2007, 07:10    Post subject:  

Hi
Very interesting project, congratulations!
About the xvesa problem will you be able to fix it soon?Is this problem still not fixed in 3.01?I have a toshiba laptop with a ati card and the only way to work with it is with xvesa.
Thanks
Pedro
nic2109

PostPosted: Tue 16 Oct 2007, 07:50    Post subject:  

darrelljon wrote:

I agree. Drop the dog.

Have you tried any of WhoDo's wonderful Themes? Golden Mood would work really well with this, though you might want to substitute your Start button icon. What to you think?

Puppy is always the same: just when I decide to stop experimenting and stick with just 1 or 2 versions someone comes up with a great new version and I just HAVE to try it! Laughing
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Tue 16 Oct 2007, 12:34    Post subject: thanks  

[quote="nic2109"]
darrelljon wrote:

I agree. Drop the dog.

Have you tried any of WhoDo's wonderful Themes? Golden Mood would work really well with this, though you might want to substitute your Start button icon. What to you think?

Puppy is always the same: just when I decide to stop experimenting and stick with just 1 or 2 versions someone comes up with a great new version and I just HAVE to try it! Laughing[quote]

Hi thanks for the great feedback, I'll look at the Golden Mood theme, I can make a button to match just about anything, I like doing graphics, Keep a lookout for future releases, I've been debating on a few ideas, Like getting rid of xmms and xine, and replacing with audacious media player with the same sony skin, and VLC media player. The reason for this is because xmms is a dead project now and audacious is a replacement, all the skins and plugins work, and the reason for VLC is because well it works out of the box for streaming video, like real media and windows media. Also it can be skinned.
So what did you think of it darrelljon is it a keeper, anything you would like added or changed? Thanks for your time
ttuuxxx
Page 2 of 4 [54 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: