Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 01 Aug 2014, 10:05
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Watchdog version 1 released with Zoneminder
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 7 [95 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
hushpuppy

PostPosted: Thu 04 Oct 2007, 18:05    Post subject:  Watchdog version 1 released with Zoneminder
Subject description: Turn a webcam into a security/surveillance camera

All the bugs found in the beta versions have been fixed.

Download from www.doubleburgerbar.com/watchdog/

Watchdog is puppy 2.16 with a fully working zoneminder (1.22.3).

Put the cd in, boot the pc, and a few minutes later you should have a working zm system with one camera.

Installing and configuring zoneminder takes an experienced user many hours, sometimes days, this distro does it in a few minutes, please try it out and send me your comments.

More enhancements to follow.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct 2007, 00:08    Post subject:  

Many thanks Smile

Downloaded the over 200MB ISO ready for burning Smile

Really looking forward to testing this over the weekend hopefully
You must have learned a lot doing all this? What a sense of achievement
We need testers with a spare rig including a webcam
Wink

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct 2007, 00:41    Post subject:  

Hushpuppy, could you give a brief description of what Zoneminder does, maybe some of its main features? To download a 200MB iso is a bit much just to find out.

Thanks. Smile
hushpuppy

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct 2007, 03:07    Post subject:  

Quote:
Hushpuppy, could you give a brief description of what Zoneminder does, maybe some of its main features? To download a 200MB iso is a bit much just to find out.

Of course, apologies for not explaining better, (im working on the web pages today).

Zoneminder (zm) is a video surveillance system, it displays all of its information in a web page, you can have multiple cameras, of different and mixed types. You can use simple webcams to sophisticated wireless remote controlled cams. It can control X10 devices. it can email you when movement is detected, or send you an sms, it can monitor, record, or motion detect. You can monitor it from any pc from anywhere in the world, or even from (as i do ) your web enabled phone.
hushpuppy

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct 2007, 03:12    Post subject:  

Quote:
Really looking forward to testing this over the weekend hopefully
You must have learned a lot doing all this? What a sense of achievement

It was hard work, and i spent many hours tracking down bugs, but eventually cracked it. Theres still lots of work to do, like having a mail server built in, but for now it's really useful.

I've even included mysql-gui-tools 5.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct 2007, 08:47    Post subject:  

Smile Finally found some time to test it Smile

Burnt the ISO
could not find any text file

No idea what to do now?
I seem to have a 2.16 Puppy - the camera is plugged in

No instructions on your web site or the wiki . . .
or link to any text

Did a search on the forum and read some of the threads
but I am rather lost, not sure what to do

Hope you can advise Smile

noprob

PostPosted: Mon 05 Nov 2007, 22:42    Post subject:  Watchdog version 1
Subject description: no documentation!

Post subject: Watchdog version 1 ready for download.

All the bugs found in the beta versions have been fixed.

Download from www.doubleburgerbar.com/watchdog/

Watchdog is a live cd and includes a fully working zoneminder (1.22.3).

Put the cd in, boot the pc, and a few minutes later you should have a working zm system with one camera.

During bootup you will see a message telling you that pup_216.sfs is being read, this can take quite a while, basically a 215 mb file has to be read from the cd and copied to memory, please be patient during this process.

The system should boot you straight into x-windows with mozilla showing the zoneminder console.

On some systems you might have to start zm from the console.

If you dont get an x window, simply type "xorgwizard" (without the quotes then press enter) and watchdog will attempt to build a suitable configuration file for your display.

If youre not happy with the current display clcik on the Menu button, select Sutdown/exit to prompt, and follow the instructions above.

If your display is garbled, press the CTRL ALT and BACKSPACE keys together and the x server will be killed, then follow the instructions above.

Have fun

located/found this from here

hope this helps
wachsmc

PostPosted: Mon 12 Nov 2007, 17:36    Post subject: Watchdog install
Subject description: Install on a Dell

Yippie Many Thanks to Hushpuppy. I was really struggling installing Zoneminder on a Ubuntu(any version). and came across your site "doubleburger" Downloaded the CD slaped it in my old Dell GX270 W/video card. Was actually up and running capturing video in less than twenty (20) minutes. Looking for directions on how to install it permanantly on my hard drive. I will be scaning this WIKI for info, Thanks again

Carl W
hushpuppy

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov 2007, 09:42    Post subject:  

First of all apologies for not replying earlier, i'm in the middle of moving house and moving business premises, all in one go, it's chaotic and I've just not had the time to do anything with Watchdog or even visit the forum for at least 2 weeks, thats likeley to carry on for maybe three weeks or so.

Quote:

Yippie Many Thanks to Hushpuppy. I was really struggling installing Zoneminder on a Ubuntu(any version). and came across your site "doubleburger" Downloaded the CD slaped it in my old Dell GX270 W/video card. Was actually up and running capturing video in less than twenty (20) minutes.

Thats fantastic, and the reason i plugged away at this project, to make it easier for folks wanting to use zoneminder. If you could also plug Watchdog on the zoneminder forums, i would appreciate that.

Quote:

Looking for directions on how to install it permanantly on my hard drive. I will be scaning this WIKI for info, Thanks again

You can install directly from the CD, it's the same as any puppy distro, menu/setup/puppy universal installer.

Having said that, it's not totally neccessary to install to hard disk, in the last iso i did, some settings can be preloaded, eg the xorg.conf etc.

http://www.doubleburgerbar.com/watchdog/Enhancements.html

Gives an explanation.

Eventually i hope to get a domain name for watchdog, but for now I'm afraid ill have to stick with doubleburgerbar.com (incidentally, i sell the best burgers in the country Smile ).

Once again , apologies for not replying sooner.

[/quote]
setecio

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov 2007, 13:11    Post subject:  

How does this compare to Motion ?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=21518
hushpuppy

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov 2007, 13:35    Post subject:  

It's far more sophisticated, with far more options.

I suppose i'm a little biased, as i've been using zm for a number of years.

If you want to test zm, i'm going to "open up" one of the machines at my end in the very near future, in other words im going to give access to the zm frontend for about a fortnight.

I'm only doing this as i'm moving home, and am going to lose my fixed ip, so if you email me or respond here, ill tell you how to access zm, and you can see just what it's all about.
setecio

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov 2007, 14:32    Post subject:  

Thanks, I might do that if I get a chance to set it up soon.

You might want to add another post to 'Additional software pups and stuff' as it sounds a great system.

Sounds like a cheap way of setting up home surveillance, but the cameras will cost a bit, or are there cheap otions for obtaining/making RJ45/wifi cameras to kit out a house ?
hushpuppy

PostPosted: Fri 16 Nov 2007, 06:07    Post subject:  

yes, its relativley cheap.

Some cheapo bttv 4 input cards can be bought from ebay for about £15, theyre slow, but you get what you pay for, and for most home stuff sufficient IMHO.

Cameras, again there's various price ranges, not sure where in the world you are, but in the uk they start at £10 and go upto hundreds of pounds.

There's lots of cheap cams with scart connectors, you can buy scart to BNC connectors (bttv cards typically use these), from places like maplins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BNC_connector

Of course, you can also use wireless IP cams as well, and whats called X10 devices.

Like i said, zoneminder is very sophisticated, and th beta version even more so.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Fri 16 Nov 2007, 22:49    Post subject:  

I bought a $15 Emprex PC-30AP webcamera from Fry's last Wednesday, hoping it would work in Skype with video. (here is a link to the only driver I found for it, a Windows driver) Unfortunately it seems that Skype does not yet include a driver for that particular camera. Before I took the camera back to exchange for a different one, I thought I'd see if Watchdog Puppy has a driver for it.

I confess I didn't do any research or preparation first, just downloaded Watchdog 1.1, burned a DVD+RW, and booted it, with the webcam plugged into a USB port of the computer.

It took me a while to realize that the ZM console window which was there after the DVD booted had anything to do with video monitors Smile . After stumbling past that hurdle, I began to click on the live links in the ZM console, but to no avail. As far as I can tell, ZM does not have a driver for the Emprex PC-30AP USBcam. I'm not sure though; I find the ZM GUI console very hard to figure out - but then I only tinkered with it for a few minutes before I decided there was no point, because it couldn't use the webcam.
jacky

PostPosted: Sun 30 Dec 2007, 04:30    Post subject: Watch dog on single board computers  

Has anyone tried watchdog on Single Board Computers that run puppy linux? That would make a compact watchdog Smile

For some examples of single board computers see http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6828123924.html

Thanks,
Jacky
Page 1 of 7 [95 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: