Fatdog64-510 RC4

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
kirk

Fatdog64-510 RC4

#1 Post by kirk »

Fatdog64-510rc4 is available for testing. The big changes are a new kernel 2.6.35.7, Xorg updated to 7.6, and Samba server 3.0.37 added. Here's the change log:

* Update to Xorg 7.6 (Xorg-server to 1.9)
* Update/rebuild all xorg drivers
* Update Mesa to 7.8.2
* Update Firefox to 3.6.12
* Add upload option for ftp on Firefox.
* Update Flash to 9/27 square
* Update libxine to 1.1.19
* Update kernel to 2.6.35.7
* Patched the kernel for the new Dell Alps touch pads.
* Patched the kernel for Intel Ironlake video (Dell e6410/e6510).
* Update Pburn to 3.2.9
* Update dhcpcd to 5.2.7 (I see that 5.2.8 is out now, so this will change)
* Added Samba-3.0.37, just the parts needed to run a fileserver and client. (The rest is in a pet package if you want it.)
* A little GUI to start and stop the Samba server. The Downloads folder is shared without a password. Users connect as user spot.
* Added LameSMBxplorer
* Added netdiscover
* Added Monkey web server 0.11.1 and a GUI to start and stop it.
* Added a FAQ link to the home page with some docs.
* Other updates I've forgotten
* bug fixes

Added new pfix= options:
pfix=vesa --- Use the vesa video driver when Xorg auto configures it self the first time.
Pfix=xorgwizard --- Use the old xorgwizard instead of auto configuration at first boot.

It seems that some wifi modules in kernels after 2.6.28 will obey disconnect requests that APs send out after being idle for awhile. Added a script (WIFI-Keepalive) that checks if a wireless interface is associated, if so a daemon is started that pings the gateway every 20 seconds. Starting and restarting this script is in init.d and is tied in to the network wizard and pwireless. If you don't want this hack running delete /usr/sbin/WIFI-Keepalive.

I've also uploaded ati-catalyst-10.10.pet. The old ATI and Nvidia pet packages have been moved to the "old" folder. Please note that these video pet packages are kernel specific. There is no Nvidia package for 510 yet, but hopefully soon.

Please check out the FAQs link on the Firefox home page. I typed up some basic documentation.

EDIT: don't download this now, rc5 will be out soon.
Last edited by kirk on Fri 12 Nov 2010, 04:30, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

Fatdog64-510 RC4

#2 Post by Billtoo »

I'm running live with a save file and have installed the
ati-catalyst-10.10.pet.
# glxgears
39558 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7911.589 FPS
40534 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8106.627 FPS
40541 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8108.198 FPS
40539 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8107.612 FPS
#
Computer
Processor 6x AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1045T Processor
Memory 8186MB (1781MB used)
Operating System Puppy Linux 0.50
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Sun 07 Nov 2010 10:40:56 AM GMT+5
Display
Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer ATI Radeon HD 5500 Series
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation

I had a little trouble at first before the ati pet was installed so I
had to sneak up on it by booting the live cd with the "fatdog
pfix=nox" parameter and then reboot right away to create a save file
because although it would boot to the desktop right away when it
exited to the prompt the screen went black.
I then rebooted and set up the network and downloaded the ati pet and
installed it, then rebooted again with the "fatdog pfix=nox" parameter
and entered xwin at the prompt to get to the desktop, now it's good.

pemasu

#3 Post by pemasu »

Nice work. Booted, X is ok. Wireless and wired NIC found. Looks really good. Good selection of fine apps. Firefox, pidgin and transmission.

But.... difficult problem is that dhcpd or someother process still cuts the network connection. At least when i use my main connection wireless.

It was the same problem with 500.

But fatdog is really fast. Flying seagull is not overestimation.

Keep up the good work.

kirk

#4 Post by kirk »

pemasu,

Do you know what wireless card you have? Not that it matters a whole lot. Something in mac80211 went wrong after kernel 2.6.28. Most people using big distros don't notice because they're using a network manager daemon that automatically reconnects them. That's why I added the WIFI-Keepalive daemon, but it only runs for non-encrypted connections. It solves a lot of the disconnect problems, but not all. These disconnect problems also seem to depend on the wireless access point, you'll probably find that it stays connected on some. The ath9k seems to be the worst, I saw where the Google Android people made some patches for it, but it's only for 2.6.36 and up. If it's real bad, you could try Ndiswrapper, that way you'll avoid the linux wireless stack.

Billtoo,

Glad you got it going. Another possible solution to your blank screen problem would be to try one of the new boot options. Like fatdog pfix=vesa. Though I'm not sure what would happen when the pet package tries to configure your xorg.conf file. Just curious, did you have this blank screen problem with Fatdog64-500? I was hoping things would get better with Xorg 7.6. It did with my new laptop, a Dell E6410.

Also if you use the Samba server and you want to use symlinks in your Downloads folder, you'll need to edit /etc/samba/smb.conf. There's a comment in there that tells you what to do.

pemasu

#5 Post by pemasu »

I live in the countryside, so I have nonencrypted connection. And I have ath9k driver for wifi, so that might explain a lot.

I have had issues also in some lucid versions, but pwireless2 resolved them.

I might consider ndiswrapper. And thank of your fast reply.
Last edited by pemasu on Mon 08 Nov 2010, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

#6 Post by Billtoo »

kirk wrote:
Billtoo,

Glad you got it going. Another possible solution to your blank screen problem would be to try one of the new boot options. Like fatdog pfix=vesa. Though I'm not sure what would happen when the pet package tries to configure your xorg.conf file. Just curious, did you have this blank screen problem with Fatdog64-500? I was hoping things would get better with Xorg 7.6. It did with my new laptop, a Dell E6410.
I just got this pc a couple of weeks ago and I did try booting the fd500 live cd but it wouldn't get to the desktop, just a black screen.
This version got to the desktop but when I went to reboot I couldn't make a save file because it just went black and I had to shut it down.It's all good now though with the ati.pet installed.
I'm going to give it a try on my laptop and see how it goes, it has ati graphics as well.

Billtoo

Fatdog64-510 RC4

#7 Post by Billtoo »

I'm running live with a save file.
# glxgears
15943 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3188.452 FPS
16887 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3377.207 FPS
16488 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3297.544 FPS
16634 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3326.792 FPS
#
Computer
Processor 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz
Memory 3915MB (918MB used)
Operating System Puppy Linux 0.50
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Sun 07 Nov 2010 05:42:00 PM GMT+5
Display
Resolution 1600x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
OpenGL
Vendor ATI Technologies Inc.
Renderer ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series
Version 4.0.10243 Compatibility Profile Context
Direct Rendering Yes

This time it got to the desktop okay but when I went to reboot the
screen just sort of disolved so I had to reboot with the "fatdog
pfix=nox" parameter and then reboot again as soon as it got to the
prompt to create the save file.
The next boot got me to the desktop and I configured the wireless network and
installed the ati pet but instead of rebooting I just restarted x and the pet
was installed.

kirk

#8 Post by kirk »

Billtoo,

Would you mind trying something for me? Boot with this:

fatdog pfix=ram radeon.modeset=0

and see when you shut down if things work. That will disable the new radeon kernel mode setting if it's enabled. KMS for radeon was off by default in the kernel, but maybe that's changed in 2.6.35.7. I have a desktop with a hd3200 and it works, but it's older than yours. Assuming it's off by default, you could try it with it on by doing this:

fatdog pfix=ram radeon.modeset=1

WillM

#9 Post by WillM »

This is looking good. The only problem I had was when installing the firewall it produced this error message.

Running './rc.firewall check'. Output will follow ...

-> Projectfiles.com Linux Firewall version 2.0rc9 running.
-> Performing sanity checks...... [ FAILED ]
-> FATAL: Could not find 'filter' table. Did you compile support for all necessary modules?

Billtoo

Fatdog64-510 RC4

#10 Post by Billtoo »

kirk wrote:Billtoo,

Would you mind trying something for me? Boot with this:

fatdog pfix=ram radeon.modeset=0

and see when you shut down if things work. That will disable the new radeon kernel mode setting if it's enabled. KMS for radeon was off by default in the kernel, but maybe that's changed in 2.6.35.7. I have a desktop with a hd3200 and it works, but it's older than yours. Assuming it's off by default, you could try it with it on by doing this:

fatdog pfix=ram radeon.modeset=1
I tried both those commands on the laptop and when I reboot the screen slowly disolves and I have to hold the buttom down for a few seconds to shut down the computer.
I haven't tried on the desktop yet but I will next time and let you know if it makes any difference with it going to a black screen.

kirk

#11 Post by kirk »

WillM,

Yep, I goofed. I forgot to configure the netfilter stuff in the kernel. I just recompiled the kernel and now the firewall works. Thanks.

Billtoo,

I'll check if there have been any updates to radeon since I compiled it. With some of those cards radeonhd works much better, this is the case with my HD3200 using HDMI. The Xorg server doesn't choose radeonhd automatically, so you have to edit xorg.conf to use it.

RC5 will have a recompiled kernel so I'll be posting a updated ATI catalyst pet package compiled for that kernel.

Jim1911

#12 Post by Jim1911 »

Frugal installation of 510 is working fine. Only problems are with xine which won't play wmv files. Also, xsane won't work with my HP. There is an hplip-3.9.1.2-scan.pet that works with 32 bit pups, but not with Fatdog.

The 64 bit version of LibreOffice that I tested with 500 also works great with 510. Will make a great addition.

Also, the 64 bit version of OOo3 rc3 works great, the only problem that I've had with both is in preparing the sfs, numerous edits are required so that icons and menu items show up properly. The default symlink.desktop files are not recognized by fixmenus and have to be replaced with the actual desktop file.

Cheers,
Jim

System: BFG NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB, Asus P6T Motherboard, Intel core i7-920 (8MB Cache, 2.66 GHz), DDR3 3GB 1333MHz ram, Pioneer DVR-2910 DVD+-RW Dual Layer Burner, Realtek ALC1200 Audio, HP Photosmart C5280 All-in-One

Jim1911

#13 Post by Jim1911 »

Rainlendar is a neat little calendar program that has a 64 bit beta version available. I installed the Linux DEB (64-bit): rainlendar2-pro_2.8.b97-1_amd64.deb] which may be charged for with the final release, however, a free lite version should be available.

On another issue, I have been testing PupSnap on Fatdog64 and it has a problem, but that seems to be a problem with the current Scrot and the imlib2 library -- both compiled for 32-bit compatibility. I'm not a compiler or programmer , but I hope that you might consider making a 64-bit compatible version of Scrot so that PupSnap could work. It's a super snapshot capture utility.

I've also tested radky's PupShutdown which works great on 510.
Thanks,
Jim

kirk

#14 Post by kirk »

Frugal installation of 510 is working fine. Only problems are with xine which won't play wmv files.
I fixed a problem where Xine would not launch from Firefox. Some wmv files require Windows dlls to play that are not in Fatdog. The test files from here work:

http://puppylinux.com/test/media-test-video/

You'll have to dwonload them first and then play them in rc4. Rc5 will be able to open Xine from Firefox.

If you're making a sfs, keep in mind that files in your sfs that have the same name and location as a file in the main sfs will be hidden. Also Lxpanel in Fatdog64 doesn't use fixmenus, Lxpanel is hacked to retrieve this information for it's self.

Has anyone tried the Samba server? Just wondering how it's going.

I've fixed some bugs and cut some fat, I'll post rc5 in a day or two.

Roy

#15 Post by Roy »

Some wmv files require Windows dlls to play that are not in Fatdog
To benefit those who are dual-booting with XP (including me), can you describe which dlls are required, where they are located in XP, and where we should symlink them to in Fatdog's file system?

Inquiring minds, you know.

-Roy