[W]reckedleg "Voice Memo Recorder" GUI. dotpet Oct14 UPDATE

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
mcewanw

"wiak" me up from my dreams and nightmares

#16 Post by mcewanw »

Lobster wrote::) After trying the mhwaveedit recorder in Puppy PAL (Puppy 4 Alpha 1) and normalising. I got something but too much interference to use. I tried Wreckedleg and it produced an MP3 but did not seem to contain any sound? Is Lame required and not available in PAL?
Any updates? 8)
I haven't downloaded PAL as yet, sorry. I have played with mhwaveedit though.

Lame is required in the versions of wreckedleg so far published. However, it is not actually essential to use lame to produce the mp3s; If your system has the appropriate mp3 libraries (I forget their name) rec (of sox fame) can produce mp3's directly itself (albeit with less flexibility in terms of abr or cbr or vbr). I wrote something about that in the earlier rec2lamegui thread, I think, when talking about how to add mp3 support to Soxgui. Obviously you need sox and the aforementioned libraries though.

As for updates to wreckedleg... The promised major update IS coming, eventually... I am working on it, but it is tricky and taking ages, so will be a while yet. (In fact, it is taking much longer than I thought, but that is because I am building a more sophisticated overall system than I originally planned, whilst keeping the user interface pretty much as simple as before).

However, it is fair to say that the level of difficulty involved in implementing my new "concept" has at times threatened to frazzle my tiny mind, and slowed me to a snails pace. I've also been distracted now and then (sought refuge you might say) with too many forum "discussions" and debates about other things... I'm trying to focus though!

Everything I'm currently writing at the moment centres around a completely general-purpose client-server driven communication subsystem (being written in C), which I will be using in several planned applications (including wreckedleg) to simplify the processing of gtkdialog3 events. I call it "wiak"; a name I'll explain some day...

I'm also separating the UI from the event processing in the new wreckedleg in such a way that it will be easy to re-write the frontend for other linuxes, using for example Murga-Lua (for say, DSL) and even curses or plain dialog for a commandline only linux. "wiak", itself, as I mentioned above, is written in C and can itself be driven from the commandline...

Most of my wiak-ideas have now been implemented and tested in working bits and pieces, but I don't know when I'll manage to fill the remaining few holes and get all the pieces harmoniously joined and working together; in practice, you could say I'm purposively not hurrying. Being a general-purpose subsystem I have to design wiak's application interface very carefully because it can be difficult to add functionality later to such a subsystem without breaking everything else that might be using it.

It's all coming along though. It probably sounds much more complicated than the end product actually will be (what an effort for next to nothing really!) I may well become quiet for a while, but something will later suddenly appear!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#17 Post by Lobster »

Good News. Look forward to the final program. No rush as you say.

Puppy 4 Aka Rawpup ( missed that name :oops: ) is now known as Dingo
What an effort for next to nothing really!
The best programs always appear simple and easy to use. You don't have to think how they work. It is obvious. What is less obvious is the underlying work. Good news that your work will be used in a multitude of ways and benefit the whole Linux community :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

mcewanw

which editor(s), which of rec, lame, sox, play?

#18 Post by mcewanw »

I am finally just reaching the stage of pre-release testing my first working alpha of the next generation of this sound recorder. Have a few bugs to iron out and muchos code refactoring/restructuring to do, but shouldn't be long now before something is available for playing with... Expect a somewhat incomplete alpha. It is a complex system and lots can go wrong with it.

Nevertheless, my first test runs of today are very encouraging and promising. Yesterday's failed attempts resulted in my system becoming clogged up with self-cloning processes; it was impossible to kill them as fast as they were being created (ps showed hundreds of them!), but luckily I was still able to shutdown my system in the usual fashion and nothing was lost or damaged... Like I said, it is an experimental alpha.

In the meantime, it would be useful to know which of the following are available in the standard Puppy 3.x image and in the standard Dingo image (I don't have either of these here at the moment. I will download them for testing eventually, but my dialup connection isn't encouraging me!):

1. sox, rec, play, lame, gxine, mplayer?

2. which GUI text editor(s)? (e.g. geany, leafpad, or?)

Note that it is the standard image I'm enquiring about, not dotpets.

I need to know the above info so that I can make the alpha version of the new sound recorder as compatible as possible with each of these standard distributions.

In actual fact, the core part of what I'm working on has nothing to do with sound recording per se. But sound recording does provide a particularly good example of what can be done with the "main thing".

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#19 Post by Lobster »

Glad you are plugging away with this :)
I think this is right (as I am using an updated 3.01)
mplayer is not available but the rest are
geany and lefpad are in 3.01

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

mcewanw

#20 Post by mcewanw »

Lobster wrote:
I think this is right (as I am using an updated 3.01)
mplayer is not available but the rest are
geany and lefpad are in 3.01

:)
Thanks Lobster.

Are you also using Puppy 4 (Dingo)? I need to know the above info for that too. Come to think of it, the same info for 2.16 could prove beneficial as well if, as I've read, there are plans afoot to resuscitate and upgrade that version somewhat also.

There may be a slight further delay before I announce the new program. Implementing a last minute design change which will be beneficial (simpler) for some who might like to tinker with the programming. Anyway, it always takes longer than planned (!) to tidy up the loose ends, even on an alpha release, if it is complicated (and this is complicated...)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#21 Post by Lobster »

Are you also using Puppy 4 (Dingo)?
no :oops:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

mcewanw

wiakrecord is here

#22 Post by mcewanw »

I was determined to have something ready by Christmas, but it was a struggle putting it all together. However... it is here.

Announcement of the WIAK Suite of Applications:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 919#161919

or just jump straightaway to http://wiak.org/

mcewanw