[W]reckedleg "Voice Memo Recorder" GUI. dotpet Oct14 UPDATE

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
mcewanw

[W]reckedleg "Voice Memo Recorder" GUI. dotpet Oct14 UPDATE

#1 Post by mcewanw »

[New:] Having had no operational problems with any of these versions, and no feedback to suggest otherwise,
I have now removed the alpha status of all of the 0.5.x versions below. However, since no changes to the actual
code have occurred, I have not uploaded any new versions to reflect the non-alpha status change, so the download will
still say alpha. Just ignore the alpha title on these ones!

For much the same functionality as the C/gtkdialog3 0.5.0 version, but using bash and gtkdialog3 instead, please look
down the thread a bit to:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 925#145925
The bash/gtkdialog3 version includes the 2 second delay to STOP but no Amplitude boost.
----------------------------------------------------------

C/gtkdialog3 version Compiled and tested on Puppy Linux version 2.17.1; probably works on some
others. Let me know if it works on Puppy 3

Worked well on my old laptop with Puppy sound mixer settings:
Master Vol=50; pcm=100; input gain=50
If you increase the input gain too much you may get extra distortion.

/*********************************************/
// Program: wreckedleg (GUI) Version: 0.5.1.c.pet
// Creation date (YMD): 2007/10/06
// (C) Copyright 2007 William McEwan (mcewanw A t Hot mail Dot com)
// wreckedleg (GUI) is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public
// License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
/**********************************************/
// [W]reckedleg is the GUI for a "Voice Memo Recorder" that uses various underlying programs to directly record
// audio files of virtually any duration in a variety of compressed or uncompressed formats (though this
// simple 0.5.x version is designed for mp3 outputs only). In this version the recording duration is limited only by the
// available storage space.
// The program title "wreckedleg" is a play on the words "rec" and "lame", the titles of two of the underlying
// programs used by the original version of wreckedleg to provide the audio recorder's basic functionality.
// By default, the program provides one-click recording, automatically storing the recording, with the default filename
// out.mp3, in the default directory /root/my-documents (the next version will include an automatic datestamp as part of
// the default filename).
//
// Revision history:
// 0.5.0alpha1.c.pet Original released version.
// 0.5.1alpha1.c.pet Added 2 sec sleep before STOP; Scaled rec amplitude -v 64
/***************************************************************************/
// Please note and accept this agreement prior to any use of this program
// for any purpose whatsoever. Any use is entirely at your own risk. This
// version of the program has so far worked fine to my own satisfaction but I
// cannot guarantee that it will not damage your system.
// WARNING: Note, in particular, that since Puppy Linux runs its programs as
// root user it is possible for this utility to overwrite existing system
// files if you are not careful with your choice of output filename.
// As a sensible caution, I thus advise you to make backups of your system prior to any use of the utility.
// That said, I hope you will find this program both fun and useful! :-)
/***************************************************************************/

This dotpet automatically adds the following files to your system:

/usr/local/apps/wreckedleg/wreckedleg
/usr/local/share/doc/wreckedleg/
/usr/local/share/doc/wreckedleg/wreckedleg-0.5.1alpha1.c_readme.txt
/usr/local/bin/wreckedleg
/root/.wreckedleg/

It also creates an icon (mini-sound.xpm) and JWM menu item in JWM > Multimedia > WreckedLeg Sound Recorder, storing this desktop info in /usr/share/applications

The utility registers with PETget so that you can easily uninstall it if you wish.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Though based on experiments involving the earlier rec2lamegui, wreckedleg has been written from scratch.

Work is currently well underway on a more sophisticated version of wreckedleg, though the overall simplicity and small size of the existing interface has been maintained as far as possible in that later version.

Before operating wreckedleg, you should, of course, check that your sound source (e.g. a microphone) is working correctly beforehand. Personally, I usually run JWM > Multimedia > Puppy sound mixer, in order to check that the settings are correct, before running any audio programs.

Remember, if you "break" it, no problem, you can uninstall it and reinstall it again via PETget. However, usage of this utility is entirely at your own risk! :-)

The program supplied in the download link is pre-compiled so you just need to install the dotpet package and start using it (at least on Puppy 2.17). However, if you want to compile it yourself or simply want to examine how it was coded, here is the program source code:

Code: Select all

#include <stdio.h>

main(){

chdir("/root/my-documents");

putenv(
"\
MAIN_DIALOG=\
 <window title=\"wreckedleg-0.5.1  This early alpha version was created with C and gtkdialog3 \"icon-name=\"gtk-media-record\">\
  <hbox>\
   <frame Lock:>\
   	<checkbox>\
	  <label>\"\" </label>\
      <variable>LOCKCHOICE</variable>\
      <action>if true disable:DIRFILE</action>\
      <action>if false enable:DIRFILE</action>\
    </checkbox>\
   </frame>\
   <frame output directory and filename                                     >\
   	<entry>\
      <default>\"/root/my-documents/out.mp3\"</default>\
      <variable>DIRFILE</variable>\
    </entry>\
   </frame>\
   <frame dir>\
   	<button>\
      <input file stock=\"gtk-open\"></input>\
      <variable>PATHTOFILE</variable>\
      <action type=\"fileselect\">DIRFILE</action>\
    </button>\
   </frame>\
   <button>\
	 <input file stock=\"gtk-media-record\"></input>\
	 <label>REC</label>\
	 <action>\"rec -c 1 -t raw -f sw -r 44100 -v 64 - | lame -r -x -s 44.1 -m m -h --abr 8 --nspsytune --lowpass 7 -  $DIRFILE &\"</action>\
   </button>\
   <button>\
	 <input file stock=\"gtk-media-stop\"></input>\
	 <label>STOP</label>\
	 <action>sleep 2;killall lame</action>\
   </button>\
   <button>\
	 <input file stock=\"gtk-quit\"></input>\
	 <label>QUIT</label>\
	 <action>killall lame</action>\
	 <action type=\"exit\">EXIT-QUIT</action>\
   </button>\
  </hbox>\
 </window>\
"
);

system("gtkdialog3 --program=MAIN_DIALOG --center");
exit (0);
}
md5sum of the dotpet download below:
9fa04df996524933594ffe44e758bcd3 wreckedleg-0.5.1alpha1_c.pet
(but no longer actually an alpha: considered stable)
Attachments
wreckedleg-0.5.0alpha1_c.pet
This version doesn't have any amplitude scaling: likely to give less distortion but may need preamp on your microphone
(5 KiB) Downloaded 700 times
wreckedleg-0.5.1alpha1_c.pet
Added a boost to the amplitude and a forced 2sec delay before STOP
(5.21 KiB) Downloaded 722 times
Last edited by mcewanw on Sun 14 Oct 2007, 04:31, edited 23 times in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

quick podcast using new software enclosed
- turn up the volume - multimedia - sound mixer

Good job - That recorder will be useful . . .

8)

Topics

Wreckedleg recording software

Puppy 3
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy300

Tmxxine Photon
http://tmxxine.com/Wikka/wikka.php?wakk ... xinePhoton

Talking Stick
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/TalkingStick
Attachments
testmp3.tar.gz
drag file into pupzip to unzip into a playable mp3 - remember to turn up volume - quality is low - high compression
(162.79 KiB) Downloaded 705 times
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

mcewanw

that was fun

#3 Post by mcewanw »

That was fun Lobster, good to hear your voice. Looking forwards to trying out Puppy 3.00 soon too.

The next version of wreckedleg will have quality controls in a pop-up config menu, by the way. It will also allow recording in, for example, ogg or wav format. Also has a play and pause button (the latter being particularly useful for longer recording sessions). I suspect work will slow down a bit as we all get busy testing out the new Puppy though!

Cheers

William

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

:) that was a rushed pawedcast (only puppy has pawedcasts)
and I could not post mp3's directly to the forum

What part of the program is written in C - can I see the code?

I look forward to the improvements. Your initial tests (in the previous version) are paying off.

Such an obvious and simple program to use. Just works (a Puppy specialty)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

mcewanw

code is simple as pie

#5 Post by mcewanw »

The code as shown in the original post above is complete. Very little C, really just gtkdialog3. In this version it is as simple as pie! Having said that I took ages getting the simple look and feel the way I wanted it. I didn't want the user (e.g. myself) to have to click several buttons before reaching the actual voice recorder, and I wanted it to just sit there on the screen taking up little space so that I could record stuff whilst doing other things on the screen. The future version includes config options that allow you to make the window even smaller (the "leg" or "legbone" as I call it), at the expense of on-screen information.

Currently I'm using bash and gtkdialog3 in the future version, but I'd like to use C because it gives me lower level control and faster window changes. Unfortunately, I haven't managed to get such good control over the gtkdialog3 inputs and outputs from C. The C programming example from the gtkdialog3 homepage is worse than useless, so I just need to experiment myself to see what is possible or easy.

There are also some options for lame (or rec) for scaling up the amplitude. I'll be including these in the forthcoming config options. Also putting in a short delay to the stop button, to allow lame time to finish processing the data still in the pipeline. A lot to do before I release all that though.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

:)

Many thanks
I studied your code which I will find useful :)

As you know Soxgui is in Puppy. However I really like the elegant simplicity of just doing mic recording - nothing more nothing less.

Look forward to the beta
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

mcewanw

yes, but the "extras" can be invisible

#7 Post by mcewanw »

Lobster wrote: However I really like the elegant simplicity of just doing mic recording
Yes, so do I, but the 'extras' can (and will be), to all extents and purposes, invisible. The idea is that the interface
will be much as provided in this alpha release, except for three extra buttons, which no-one needs to press!
(Play, Pause, and Config). Inside config, the user can set up a default profile more in line with what they prefer in
one-click recording (e.g. ogg, wav, or different quality). Then they just use it as before and there will be a defaults
button inside config which will return everything to the original settings or some previously stored user one if so
desired. If I ever decide I'd like even more buttons for something or other, I intend that they will only appear if
chosen by the user in the popup config screen. It is a very flexible interface IMO; that's what I've spent most time on.
The code is secondary.

My feeling is that too many programs make configuration options a major part of a program when really, once a
thing is working the way you want it, you don't need to see configuration stuff any more. So my method is kind of
like using command line options, the unix philosophy, but in a GUI form: use the options or don't use them as required.

Don't worry, you'll find the enhancements don't distract from the ease of use or the "just works" simplicity,
that latter is my goal too.

I also released this alpha for the special reason that it shows C being used in a very simple way with gtkdialog3.
However, so far I haven't managed to do things with C-driven gtkdialog3 versions that I can easily do with
bash ones. But I'm still checking that out; I used to write a lot of C but I'm incredibly rusty and relearning a lot of what
I once had at my fingertips.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Record and send your technical problem

#8 Post by Lobster »

:) Totally agree with your programming approach and configuration points.

Long term I am wondering . . .
A new Puppy service. Record and send your technical problem - receive a voice message and any other support . . .

We have a new server available to store messages

puppylinux.ca
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 159#144159
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

mcewanw

Re: Record and send your technical problem

#9 Post by mcewanw »

Lobster wrote:Long term I am wondering . . .
A new Puppy service. Record and send your technical problem - receive a voice message and any other support . . .
That's an interesting idea. Such a strategy could also help build support into puppy for the visually impaired. I'll keep that in mind for future developments. I've noticed some forum members discussing text to speech apps like flite which would also be very useful.

It will be worth keeping an eye out for voice recognition projects too, to see if some kind of friendly user interface for the visually impaired could be added to puppy without bloat. Nice if that could be done as part of the standard distribution, and not just a special release for a special purpose.

Funnily enough the interface design requirements become completely different; icons and buttons need to be big; sound becomes more important than graphics; multiple desktops become more important than multiple windows; voice commands as a pointing device. Some kind of controlled Aural User Interface dominating any GUI.

It would be good to know how many puppy users suffer from visual impairment, to try and get some feedback about what would be useful for them. Instead of just trying to increase accessibility for the visually impaired to the visual world, through the use of larger fonts and mouse cursors etc., we could design an aural interface for puppy which uses highly compressed sound for communications between the computer and the user and between users themselves. That would open up puppy linux to a whole new userbase and generate, I'm sure, a great deal of further media attention.

Clearly, voice control/ speech recognition is technically difficult, but the whole thing doesn't need to be built in a day! Even a start with the easier stuff involving compressed sound could be revolutionary and instantly appealing.

mcewanw

Small update to WreckedLeg

#10 Post by mcewanw »

Just a small update: now version 0.5.1

Added 2sec delay to STOP and Amplitude Boost

rec... -v 64

Worked well on my old laptop with Puppy sound mixer settings:
Master Vol=50; pcm=100; input gain=50
If you increase the input gain too much you may get extra distortion. Will depend on the sensitivity of your microphone/soundcard combination of course.

If too much distortion you may need to change the -v value to something lower and then recompile the main binary,but remember, its highly compressed mp3 so somewhat distorted anyway!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#11 Post by Lobster »

:shock: it was pretty distorted - OK for robot communication

am incorporating wrecked leg (even at alpha stage) into a the help part of a program that I am renaming 'scruffy'

more details soon :) or once I get it working . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

mcewanw

depends on your mike/soundcard sensitivity

#12 Post by mcewanw »

I've just installed Puppy (2.171) on another old laptop and tried wreckedleg 0.5.1 on that. The sound in this case is indeed quite distorted, whereas on my other machine, it isn't. Unfortunately the sensitivity of mike/soundcard combinations is very different between machines so the amount of amplitude scaling that can be used without severe distortion is unpredictable. I'll upload the next version with user configurable amplitude scaling as soon as I can (been a bit busy recently). In the meantime I've re-uploaded the previous 0.5.0 version, which doesn't use any software amplitude scaling.

It seems to me that using no digital amplitude scaling is indeed likely to produce the best quality; however, if the system gain is too low with that setting the user would need to attach their microphone to the soundcard input via an adjustable preamp. That way, they should be able to correctly match the microphone gain with their specific system However, I recognise that not everyone has such a preamp, so configurable amplitude scaling in software will be better than nothing. I would have thought you could reduce the distortion to some extent by dropping the input gain in Puppy sound mixer though.

mcewanw

bash/gtkdialog3 version 0.5.0_bash

#13 Post by mcewanw »

For most of the development I'm doing for wreckedleg I'm actually using bash and gtkdialog3. For those of you who don't have the dev sfs addon (and thus no C compiler), here is the code of the early C version rewritten in bash/gtkdialog3. Should make it easier to experiment with wreckedleg's sound quality since you won't need to recompile to do so. To experiment with the sound quality all you need to do is modify the line: <action>\"rec -c 1 -t raw -f sw -r 44100 -v 1 - | lame -r -x -s 44.1 -m m -h --abr 8 --nspsytune --lowpass 7 - \$DIRFILE &\"</action>

For suitable rec and/or lame parameters to try, see my more extensive earlier research results at forum thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 3&start=30

Note that as it stands, this bash/gtkdialog3 version includes the 2 sec STOP delay but no software Amplitude boost.
---------------------------

Please note that though I intend keeping the user interface to this program much like that of the present, the underlying code will differ substantially.

What I'm aiming for, and why it is taking a while, is a general purpose interface or API into the main program routines. One reaon for this is that I'm planning to call up the wlegcore functions from another project I'm interested in: the "Motion" video surveillance application.

The reason I've been using C, when at this stage bash is sufficient, is that C gives me much finer access to processes and files, which allows me to add greater functionality than I would be able to with bash alone (plus I know C reasonably well). Indeed, my intention is that wlegcore will be able to be called up by any application. I'm, working on giving wlegcore a "signal" driven interface, signals being a fast and resource efficient OS mechanism. Basically, when loaded, wlegcore will sit in a suspended (non-runniing) state in memory, not using up CPU cycles until woken up with the user app required action (e.g. Record, Pause, Rewind etc).

However, it will be a while before I release the first version of wlegcore! :-) So in the meantime, please enjoy this early but functional wreckedleg release? :-)

To use the code below, just save it as a text file called, for example, testwreckedleg and make it executable by rightclicking on the file, and selecting Properties (checking the boxes to make the script executable). [Alternatively, at the command line in testwreckedleg's directory, enter:
chmod +x testwreckedleg]

Then you can run it by just clicking on its icon in Rox file manager (or enter: ./testwreckedleg from the directory it is in). Alternatively, you can install the dotpet at the foot of this message and run it from the Puppy JWM Menu.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

#/***************************************************************************/
#/* Program: wreckedleg (GUI) Version: 0.5.0_bash */
#/* Creation date (YMD): 2007/09/29 */
#/* (C) Copyright 2007 William McEwan (mcewanw A t Hot Mail Dot COM) */
# wreckedleg (GUI) is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public
# License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
#/***************************************************************************/ 

cd /root/my-documents

export MAIN_DIALOG="
 <window title=\"wreckedleg-0.5.0_bash. This early version was created with bash and gtkdialog3 \"icon-name=\"gtk-media-record\">
  <hbox>
   <frame Lock:>
    <checkbox>
      <label>\"\" </label>
      <variable>LOCKCHOICE</variable>
      <action>if true disable:DIRFILE</action>
      <action>if false enable:DIRFILE</action>
    </checkbox>
   </frame>
   <frame output directory and filename                                     >\
      <entry>
      <default>\"/root/my-documents/out.mp3\"</default>
      <variable>DIRFILE</variable>
      </entry>
   </frame>
   <frame dir>
      <button>
       <input file stock=\"gtk-open\"></input>
       <variable>PATHTOFILE</variable>
       <action type=\"fileselect\">DIRFILE</action>
      </button>
   </frame>
   <button>
    <input file stock=\"gtk-media-record\"></input>
    <label>REC</label>
    <action>\"rec -c 1 -t raw -f sw -r 44100 -v 1 - | lame -r -x -s 44.1 -m m -h --abr 8 --nspsytune --lowpass 7 -  \$DIRFILE &\"</action>
   </button>
   <button>
    <input file stock=\"gtk-media-stop\"></input>
    <label>STOP</label>
    <action>sleep 2;killall lame</action>
   </button>
   <button>
    <input file stock=\"gtk-quit\"></input>
    <label>QUIT</label>
    <action>killall lame</action>
    <action type=\"exit\">EXIT-QUIT</action>
   </button>
  </hbox>
 </window>
"

MAIN_DIALOG="`gtkdialog3 --program=MAIN_DIALOG --center`"
exit 0
For convenience, if you want to use this bash/gtkdialog3 version as your main wreckedleg app for now (adding the item+icon to JWM Menu > Multimedia > WreckedLeg Sound Recorder) please find a dotpet below. It is registered with PETget so easily installed/reinstalled.
md5sum of the dotpet is:
8de9ae013fc244e45fcdb1b59fac0f00 wreckedleg-0.5.0alpha2_bash.pet
(now upgraded to non-alpha status)
Attachments
wreckedleg-0.5.0alpha2_bash.pet
wreckedleg 0.5.0 coded in bash/gtkdialog3 rather than C/gtkdialog3. Has 2 sec delay on STOP but no software Amplitude boost.
(3.03 KiB) Downloaded 692 times
Last edited by mcewanw on Sun 14 Oct 2007, 05:37, edited 1 time in total.

mcewanw

Removed the alpha status of all 0.5.x versions

#14 Post by mcewanw »

I haven't updated any of the code as such in this update. I'm simply notifying users that, since I've neither experienced nor had feedback of any actual bugs in the above versions, I'm now removing the alpha status of the 0.5.x versions of wreckedgui. I thus consider them stable and usable as is.

I haven't actually uploaded any new files, so the installed dotpets will still have the title alpha in the window; just ignore that! Anyway, the next version, a major revision is on the way...

I've also emphasised that wreckedleg does not itself contain any code to record audio, but is instead a GUI frontend to the pre-requisite underlying audio-processing programs (rec and lame in this early version of wreckedleg).

I'm continuing to work on the next release of wreckedleg. As mentioned in another post, that will be a major revision involving a general purpose signal-driven intermediatory interface called "wiak" (in a no-gui-required client/server arrangement that I also plan to use with other programs than wreckedleg).

To emphasise the fundamentally major change to the underlying code, the next release will jump version number to 1.0.0

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#15 Post by Lobster »

:) After trying the mhwaveedit recorder in Puppy PAL (Puppy 4 Alpha 1) and normalising. I got something but too much interference to use. I tried Wreckedleg and it produced an MP3 but did not seem to contain any sound? Is Lame required and not available in PAL?
Any updates? 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

mcewanw

"wiak" me up from my dreams and nightmares

#16 Post by mcewanw »

Lobster wrote::) After trying the mhwaveedit recorder in Puppy PAL (Puppy 4 Alpha 1) and normalising. I got something but too much interference to use. I tried Wreckedleg and it produced an MP3 but did not seem to contain any sound? Is Lame required and not available in PAL?
Any updates? 8)
I haven't downloaded PAL as yet, sorry. I have played with mhwaveedit though.

Lame is required in the versions of wreckedleg so far published. However, it is not actually essential to use lame to produce the mp3s; If your system has the appropriate mp3 libraries (I forget their name) rec (of sox fame) can produce mp3's directly itself (albeit with less flexibility in terms of abr or cbr or vbr). I wrote something about that in the earlier rec2lamegui thread, I think, when talking about how to add mp3 support to Soxgui. Obviously you need sox and the aforementioned libraries though.

As for updates to wreckedleg... The promised major update IS coming, eventually... I am working on it, but it is tricky and taking ages, so will be a while yet. (In fact, it is taking much longer than I thought, but that is because I am building a more sophisticated overall system than I originally planned, whilst keeping the user interface pretty much as simple as before).

However, it is fair to say that the level of difficulty involved in implementing my new "concept" has at times threatened to frazzle my tiny mind, and slowed me to a snails pace. I've also been distracted now and then (sought refuge you might say) with too many forum "discussions" and debates about other things... I'm trying to focus though!

Everything I'm currently writing at the moment centres around a completely general-purpose client-server driven communication subsystem (being written in C), which I will be using in several planned applications (including wreckedleg) to simplify the processing of gtkdialog3 events. I call it "wiak"; a name I'll explain some day...

I'm also separating the UI from the event processing in the new wreckedleg in such a way that it will be easy to re-write the frontend for other linuxes, using for example Murga-Lua (for say, DSL) and even curses or plain dialog for a commandline only linux. "wiak", itself, as I mentioned above, is written in C and can itself be driven from the commandline...

Most of my wiak-ideas have now been implemented and tested in working bits and pieces, but I don't know when I'll manage to fill the remaining few holes and get all the pieces harmoniously joined and working together; in practice, you could say I'm purposively not hurrying. Being a general-purpose subsystem I have to design wiak's application interface very carefully because it can be difficult to add functionality later to such a subsystem without breaking everything else that might be using it.

It's all coming along though. It probably sounds much more complicated than the end product actually will be (what an effort for next to nothing really!) I may well become quiet for a while, but something will later suddenly appear!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#17 Post by Lobster »

Good News. Look forward to the final program. No rush as you say.

Puppy 4 Aka Rawpup ( missed that name :oops: ) is now known as Dingo
What an effort for next to nothing really!
The best programs always appear simple and easy to use. You don't have to think how they work. It is obvious. What is less obvious is the underlying work. Good news that your work will be used in a multitude of ways and benefit the whole Linux community :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

mcewanw

which editor(s), which of rec, lame, sox, play?

#18 Post by mcewanw »

I am finally just reaching the stage of pre-release testing my first working alpha of the next generation of this sound recorder. Have a few bugs to iron out and muchos code refactoring/restructuring to do, but shouldn't be long now before something is available for playing with... Expect a somewhat incomplete alpha. It is a complex system and lots can go wrong with it.

Nevertheless, my first test runs of today are very encouraging and promising. Yesterday's failed attempts resulted in my system becoming clogged up with self-cloning processes; it was impossible to kill them as fast as they were being created (ps showed hundreds of them!), but luckily I was still able to shutdown my system in the usual fashion and nothing was lost or damaged... Like I said, it is an experimental alpha.

In the meantime, it would be useful to know which of the following are available in the standard Puppy 3.x image and in the standard Dingo image (I don't have either of these here at the moment. I will download them for testing eventually, but my dialup connection isn't encouraging me!):

1. sox, rec, play, lame, gxine, mplayer?

2. which GUI text editor(s)? (e.g. geany, leafpad, or?)

Note that it is the standard image I'm enquiring about, not dotpets.

I need to know the above info so that I can make the alpha version of the new sound recorder as compatible as possible with each of these standard distributions.

In actual fact, the core part of what I'm working on has nothing to do with sound recording per se. But sound recording does provide a particularly good example of what can be done with the "main thing".

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#19 Post by Lobster »

Glad you are plugging away with this :)
I think this is right (as I am using an updated 3.01)
mplayer is not available but the rest are
geany and lefpad are in 3.01

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

mcewanw

#20 Post by mcewanw »

Lobster wrote:
I think this is right (as I am using an updated 3.01)
mplayer is not available but the rest are
geany and lefpad are in 3.01

Thanks Lobster.

Are you also using Puppy 4 (Dingo)? I need to know the above info for that too. Come to think of it, the same info for 2.16 could prove beneficial as well if, as I've read, there are plans afoot to resuscitate and upgrade that version somewhat also.

There may be a slight further delay before I announce the new program. Implementing a last minute design change which will be beneficial (simpler) for some who might like to tinker with the programming. Anyway, it always takes longer than planned (!) to tidy up the loose ends, even on an alpha release, if it is complicated (and this is complicated...)