Puppy 3.00 bug reports here

Please post any bugs you have found
Henry

Pbackup

#61 Post by Henry »

Zigbert,

As per my note above I was quit impressed by the gui pf the latest Pbackup. But I have noted a problem, which reproducibly happens after I have used it to burn a cd of, say, pup_save.2fs. Emelfm2 then no longer runs!

Incidentally, I like emelfm2 a lot. Roxfiler of course is essential for several reasons, not least the thumbnail display. But emelfm2 is so convenient for example, for copying and renaming versions of pup_save.2fs back and forth between home and the folder I keep them in. Feels a little more secure than dragging between Rox windows, which tend to overlap and jump in a startling way.

Henry

wingruntled

#62 Post by wingruntled »

I finally got to download 3.0. I had a few odd issues with it. To start I did a full HD install.
Like puppy 2.17.1 I had no sound with the onboard sound in the SIS 630 chipset on this Hitachi Deskview machine. No problem though, I just installed the snd-trident module with boot manager and that fixed that. I had to do the same with puppy 2.17.1 so it was easy this time. Everything seemed to work good except Gxine would not play full screen DVD's in any video mode. Now here is the odd thing. I installed EZpup 2.17R2 and I thought it fail because it never went beyond the checking dependentcies window. But after closing the window by clicking on it I noticed my desktop icons started changing after doing a mouse-over, so I rebooted the machine and I ended up with Icewm and everything worked. And for some odd reason Gxine now will play DVD's full screen.
Luck or what?

Leon

Re: Pbackup

#63 Post by Leon »

Henry wrote:Incidentally, I like emelfm2 a lot. Roxfiler of course is essential for several reasons, not least the thumbnail display. But emelfm2 is so convenient for example, for copying and renaming versions of pup_save.2fs back and forth between home and the folder I keep them in. Feels a little more secure than dragging between Rox windows, which tend to overlap and jump in a startling way.
I fully agree. I use it a lot too. It would be fine to have it with Rox in Puppy.

edoc

Re: ethernet driver forcedeth fails to load.

#64 Post by edoc »

Leon wrote:
I'm no Grub expert, but it is my understanding that Grub should always be in the \boot\grub directory (or /boot/grub depending on how you look at it).

I always use frugal install with manually extracting files from iso and modifying my menu.lst file.

This Puppy-3.00 boot section from my menu.lst file works for me:

# Boot Puppy Linux
title Puppy-3.00, idehd, /p300
rootnoverify (hd0,4)
kernel /p300/vmlinuz PMEDIA=idehd
initrd /p300/initrd.gz
boot

All files from puppy-3.00-seamonkey.iso are in /p300 directory on vfat32 partition.
Is there a location or GRUB code difference when using NTFS instead of VFAT32?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Jesse

Re: ethernet driver forcedeth fails to load.

#65 Post by Jesse »

Leon wrote:
Jesse wrote:Hi,

My ethernet driver does not load under Puppy 3.0. Even when I choose it from the wizard list and click 'load'.
<snip>
When Puppy 3.00 was released Barry mentioned this in the announcement and release notes:

“A note for frugal installers -- there is still a little quirk. When do a frugal install to a subdirectory, using the 'psubdir' boot parameter, at first boot Puppy cannot find the 'zdrv_300.sfs' file. It is found after the pup_save file is created.
Another quirk is that the zdrv file cannot be found if, when presented with a list of pup_save files, you choose '0' (none).
I decided that these and some other issues are small enough not to hold up release of 3.00 final.

BlackAdder

3.00 memory usage

#66 Post by BlackAdder »

Not really a bug, but I noted that Puppy 3.00 does not load to ram on a 192MB machine. A quick comparison of memory usage on that machine shows:

Code: Select all

Used       Free     Buffers
2.01             138784     52320    12400
2.16             159076     31920    20464
3.00             171436     16520    21552
Results are from the free command before any application is run. There is a swap partition but no swap was used until applications were loaded by 3.00.
On a (different) 256MB machine, used memory was 213MB under similar conditions.

WhoDo

Favourite Install Goes MIssing with 3.00

#67 Post by WhoDo »

I have noticed there is no longer an option to install Puppy as Frugal with data saved to the partition rather than a pup_save.2fs file.

That was my preferred install for most machines, as it gave all the benefits of a Frugal install in terms of upgrading, but didn't restrict my data to a single bag file that could become corrupt.

Was this a considered decision, Barry? Or did the option just fall by the wayside? Maybe I missed while I was absent moving house and jobs, or something.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

klasterson

#68 Post by klasterson »

My problem:

this setting in xorg.conf doesn't make effect at all:

Section "Modes"
Identifier "Modes0"
ModeLine "1280x1024" 108.00 1280 1344 1456 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync #modes0modeline0
EndSection

I have to set it manually with xvidtune on every bootup. In spite of click on Show button in Xvidtune it doesn't work...

In Xorg.0.log are this errors:
(WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module glx
(EE) Failed to load module "glx" (module does not exist, 0)

Other settings are saved correct so far.

I have GeForce FX 5200 and LG L1752 LCD.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: zygo

#69 Post by BarryK »

zygo wrote:makesquashfs-lzma is missing. How can I compress my remastered pup_222.sfs using lzma?
zygo, you can't. I have dropped support for lzma in squashfs. It's so darn complicated to compile.

Leon

#70 Post by Leon »

klasterson wrote:My problem:

this setting in xorg.conf doesn't make effect at all:

Section "Modes"
Identifier "Modes0"
ModeLine "1280x1024" 108.00 1280 1344 1456 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync #modes0modeline0
EndSection

I have to set it manually with xvidtune on every bootup. In spite of click on Show button in Xvidtune it doesn't work...
I noticed the same problem when changed and saved HSyncStart and HSyncEnd display settings.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Live cd boot issues

#71 Post by BarryK »

cell_dude5 wrote:I have been trying to revive an older laptop, and have a few issues with trying to get it to boot the 3.0 Puppy live cd.

Right after the Perform a 'switch_root' to the new Unionfs filesystem is done, it starts this:

modprobe: FATAL: Error running install command for binfmt_0000 and it just repeats that error forever until I ctl-alt-del.

I found a copy of puppy 2.13 and it boots just fine.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Richard

ps. Its a Compaq Armada E500 laptop with PIII 500 and 128meg. PCMCIA D-link wireless adapter installed.
Can you try with the boot parameter 'puppy loglevel=7' and see if any other error msg appears.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#72 Post by BarryK »

alienjeff wrote:@RickyVaio

Try "PMEDIA=satahd" instead of "pmedia=satahd" in your menu.lst kernel line
Upper-case or lower-case both work.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#73 Post by BarryK »

Hi Barry!
I think having to have two copies of the zdrv file on the hard disk is unnecessary bloat... I think you'll agree.
Jesse, yes, I expect to have this sorted out for 3.01.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Favourite Install Goes MIssing with 3.00

#74 Post by BarryK »

WhoDo wrote:I have noticed there is no longer an option to install Puppy as Frugal with data saved to the partition rather than a pup_save.2fs file.

That was my preferred install for most machines, as it gave all the benefits of a Frugal install in terms of upgrading, but didn't restrict my data to a single bag file that could become corrupt.

Was this a considered decision, Barry? Or did the option just fall by the wayside? Maybe I missed while I was absent moving house and jobs, or something.
Um, I thought save to full partition is still there.

PaulBx1

#75 Post by PaulBx1 »

A little more info on gxine. I was comparing playing a DVD in 2.16 and 3.00. In 3.00, I can resize the window, then play OK (except once it hung with no provocation), but if I play the video and resize while playing, it is a guaranteed hang of gxine. It does not help to kill gxine, you can't restart it again. I have to exit X altogether and restart it, then I can start gxine again. Same deal if I take the little progress indicator and move it forward or back; if I fool around with that enough 3.00 gxine hangs. 2.16 gxine does not have problems with these things. I tried in 3.00 to start gxine from a console window, hoping to see some message before it dies, but no luck. Bottom line, 3.00 gxine appears less robust than 2.16.

BTW, if I click the "USB interfaces" button of pupscan, it exits or hangs, and like gxine above cannot be restarted even after a kill. Kill may have a problem in this kernel...

linuxcbon

#76 Post by linuxcbon »

new bug ?
in /var/log/messages

(none) auth.debug pidgin: looking for plugins in '/usr/lib/sasl2', failed to open directory, error: No such file or directory
Last edited by linuxcbon on Sun 07 Oct 2007, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.

Jesse

#77 Post by Jesse »

Hello,

I have not been able to get my usb speakers to be retained as the working sound device on reboot. Puppy 3.0.
I've been looking into it, and it is not so straight forward, as on the surface and looking at how things interact, it should have been retained.
When I set the usb speakers as the sound device with the wizard they work great. But they are not a pci sound card, so there is no 'alias snd-card-X' line in /etc/modprobe.conf, only an 'alias sound-slot-0 snd-usb-audio', and the snd-cmipci is omitted from /etc/modprobe.conf.
Then when I reboot, the motherboards snd-cmipci driver gets loaded at 'alias snd-card-0' position in /etc/modprobe.conf, This is done by some automatic hardware detect script? (I have not found this one yet).
Motherboard BIOS does not let me disable the onboard sound card.
When the snd-cmipci gets loaded, the usb audio does not work.
When I blacklist the snd-cmipci it is still loaded.
When I manage to get everything into a non conflicting configuration, and reboot, and settings are retained, snd-usb-audio is still reported as 'default sound device' from "cat /proc/asound/cards", the usb-audio still does not work.

Can someone think of what else i could try?

Jesse

linuxcbon

#78 Post by linuxcbon »

In /tmp/xerrs.log
I got :

(EE) Failed to load module "glx" (module does not exist, 0)
so I removed glx from xorg.conf

I also got :

(ROX-Filer:2905): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not find the icon 'mime-application:x-squashfs-image'. The 'hicolor' theme
was not found either, perhaps you need to install it.
You can get a copy from:
	http://icon-theme.freedesktop.org/releases
Welcome to Xproc 1.2 (for Linux 2.2.x)... Loading information from your system...

PhilCoo

#79 Post by PhilCoo »

Not sure if you can count as a bug or minor inconvenience ? When exiting from live-cd and saving session to cd,previous versions showed the progress as the data was written,now you just get a warning to make sure the drive tray is closed.

Is there any way to re-start Gxine after using "kill" to close when it stops responding when trying to open internet radio ? I have now installed streamtuner which helps a lot but ended up deleting all the default media marks in Gxine and replacing them with my own choices.

Great work otherwise on ease of use.

Thanks

Phil :)

WhoDo

Re: Favourite Install Goes MIssing with 3.00

#80 Post by WhoDo »

BarryK wrote:
WhoDo wrote:I have noticed there is no longer an option to install Puppy as Frugal with data saved to the partition rather than a pup_save.2fs file.

Um, I thought save to full partition is still there.
Nope. I get the option to choose a partition where I want the save file to go, and a choice of private extension for the file name, but no option to just save directly to the partition without creating a pup_save.2fs file. I guess it must have slipped by the wayside in the process of getting customised save files running.

Thanks for taking the time to answer, Barry. Much appreciated.

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com