3.00-seamonkey Uploaded

News, happenings
alienjeff

#16 Post by alienjeff »

BarryK wrote:Especially GuestTwo ... but I don't think that he has been on the forum for awhile.
According to data gleaned through the member list feature, GuestToo last posted here on Tueday, July 03, 2007 at 10:01 pm. Anybody here know if he's okay?

-aj
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

mysticmarks

first problem

#17 Post by mysticmarks »

Hey,
I don't know if anyone else has this issue. I use USB puppy. i updated to 3.00, pidgin worked at boot before building a save file. after the save file it starts giving this error.

# pidgin
process 17128: D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed to read machine uuid: Failed to open "/var/lib/dbus/machine-id": No such file or directory
See the manual page for dbus-uuidgen to correct this issue.
D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace
Aborted

Anyone else?

Leon

#18 Post by Leon »

BarryK wrote:panzerpuppy, I don't use rp-pppoe, and in the past when something has been wrong with it, people like GuestTwo figured out the problem and told me how to fix it.
I solved the problem. It works for me. I made the PET package and attached it to my post here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 826#144826

BarryK
Puppy Master

#19 Post by BarryK »

mysticmarks,
there's another forum thread, I don't know the link right now, that has a "solution" of sorts for the Pidgin problem.

simes

Puppy 3.00

#20 Post by simes »

Downloaded Puppy 3.00 today, booted it from CD, detected all my hardware inc. widescreen monitor immediately, runs like a charm. Evidently running with better graphics drivers than 2.16.

Also tried installing to hard disk (once done, this is the fastest way I know to boot a PC). The frugal install appeared to work (on top of a previous 2.16 installation) but totally failed to detect my on-board ethernet card, sound card, etc. Trying again with a 'whole partition' install and wiping previous files worked fine, detected all devices OK. I sometimes wonder if others who have difficulties with HD installs could avoid them by doing clean installs each time. Create a separate /home partition to save files that matter.

Overall, 3.00 seems very stable, fast and easy use. Many thanks!

jonyo

#21 Post by jonyo »

alienjeff wrote:
BarryK wrote:Especially GuestTwo ... but I don't think that he has been on the forum for awhile.
According to data gleaned through the member list feature, GuestToo last posted here on Tueday, July 03, 2007 at 10:01 pm. Anybody here know if he's okay?

-aj
Afaik he's ok & may have moved on.

alienjeff

#22 Post by alienjeff »

Thanks, Jonyo...good to hear, as I sent him a PM and have yet to hear from him.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

mysticmarks

pidgin

#23 Post by mysticmarks »

BarryK wrote:mysticmarks,
there's another forum thread, I don't know the link right now, that has a "solution" of sorts for the Pidgin problem.
I just did a make install from source. works fine now. Looks good though barry

DLWood

#24 Post by DLWood »

Performed a frugal installation easily to hda2 (dual boot with Windows2K on hda1) using Grub to supernode of hda2. Everything seems to work well except:

Can't seem to get PETget package manager to work. I select the package to install (e.g. xine extra Codecs) and select the place to download the package from, and I get a message that says it couldn't connect and to check if I'm connected to the internet (when trying the last 2 sites). I DO have an internet connection--visited lots of sites before trying the package manager. When trying the "ibiblio" connection, it just keeps timing out every 3-4 minutes or so.

I used Seamonkey to download a PUP package for Firefox and installed it manually. That worked OK, but the PETget manager doesn't work for me. I just wonder if anyone else is having this difficulty. I've used the PETget manager in previous versions of Puppy with no trouble on my DSL (modem/router) setup.

Scoticus

3.00-seamonkey Uploaded

#25 Post by Scoticus »

Having downloaded this offering I find that I am totally unable to work with it as I suspect that a driver is required to set things right.

My system is a AMD Athlon X2 4400 64 Bit Processor; 2048MB DDR2 667MHz Dual Channel Memory; 320GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive
nVidia 6100 High performance Integrated Graphics; 16x Dual Layer +R/-R/RW DVD burner; Integrated 5.1 Channel Audio & a WinFast 6100M2MA
motherboard

and on this the display when using 1280 x 1024 does not properly display as what should be at the top of the screen is in the lower quarter. The start menu is displayed approx 2 - 2.5 inches above the area where it should display. Other settings fair no better.

It looks very much like the display when we post where the add an attachment line would represent the start and anything below that would be the top of the screen.

I took my CD to work and on a Dell Optiplex 745, Intel Dual Core 6300 @1.86gHZ and 2 gb RAM it opened up properly.

I approached my supplier of the system that I purchased for information and they advised as follows :

"You would need to download the Linux drivers for the component of the PC.

You will need the drivers for the following components

Motherboard: Foxconn am2 6100M2Ma www.foxconnchannel.com
Graphics: Nvidia 6100 www.nvidia.com
Audio: Realtek ac97 www.realtek.com.tw"

Can someone please offer a solution as I am totally unsure of what is required.

Many thanks for your assistance

cb88

#26 Post by cb88 »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... =448924294

try the HW test dotpup at that site if you can.... and send the results to Dougal he should be able to help
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30