Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 08 Aug 2020, 13:23
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
mtpaint-3.31: latest release of mtPaint
Moderators: deshlab, Flash, GuestToo, Ian, JohnMurga, Lobster
Page 1 of 3 [39 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
muggins

PostPosted: Sat 29 Sep 2007, 08:46    Post subject:  mtpaint-3.31: latest release of mtPaint  

This is the latest release of mtPaint. Menu->Graphic->mtPaint

For the mtPaint handbook, I've uploaded this here(2171kbytes): mtpaint_handbook-3.31-i486.pet

(N.B. The browser is set to use defaultbrowser. If you want to use a different browser you need to set the HTML browser program with Image->Preferences->Paths->HTML Browser Program. The manual files are extracted to /usr/share/doc/mtpaint. The locale files are in the mtpaint-NLS-3.31-i486.pet.)

Last edited by muggins on Wed 15 Apr 2009, 21:19; edited 15 times in total
RobertB

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct 2007, 15:13    Post subject:  

The .pet seemed to work great, upgrading the default installation on Puppy 2.17. But it didn't address the problem my son is having -- he is really into the Smudge tool, which was available in my old Puppy 1.09 installation, but it doesn't seem to be enabled in 2.17. Would you know how to enable Smudge?

Also, is there a tutorial for mtPaint that might be appropriate for a pre-teen? Actually, he knows more than I do (by a longshot), but we're wondering about things like layers and other concepts. He's creating animated .gif's using "File/Export Animated GIF", but it looks like there are some animation options under the mysterious "Layers" menu.
muggins

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct 2007, 20:47    Post subject:  

i'm not aware of any tuts on using mtPaint. i think it's one of those things where you've just got to play around with it & see what happens if i do this?

section-3.5, of the mtpaint handbook, mentions how to activate smudging.

as alternatives, have you tried using gimp or tuxpaint? i'm sure there would be tuts for either of those if you googled.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct 2007, 21:08    Post subject:  

There is a mtPaint handbook at Sourceforge. I don't know if it's the same as muggins' download. It might be a bit over a preteen's head, but he'll grow into it. It'll be a learning experience. Smile
wjaguar

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2007, 02:41    Post subject:  

RobertB wrote:
he is really into the Smudge tool, which was available in my old Puppy 1.09 installation, but it doesn't seem to be enabled in 2.17. Would you know how to enable Smudge?

Just undo what was done to disable it. Wink

Without knowing the version of mtPaint and the *exact* symptoms of the problem, I can only guess what could have gone wrong.
First, for the smudge tool to be enabled at all, image must be RGB, not indexed.
Second, the tool's default behaviour had changed in 3.0x series - the usual "hard" smudging was available only with opacity mode disabled, and otherwise, a much less pronounced effect resulted. The change was partially reversed in version 3.10 - currently, "hard" smudging is the default, and right click on the smudge tool icon opens configuration dialog with "Respect opacity mode" toggle which enables the 3.0x behaviour. If your mtPaint version is 3.0x, I suggest you upgrade to 3.11; and if it is 3.1x already, then make sure the above toggle is off.

-= With best regards, Dmitry Groshev, maintainer of mtPaint =-
RobertB

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2007, 09:41    Post subject:  

wjaguar wrote:
RobertB wrote:
he is really into the Smudge tool, which was available in my old Puppy 1.09 installation, but it doesn't seem to be enabled in 2.17. Would you know how to enable Smudge?

Just undo what was done to disable it. Wink

Without knowing the version of mtPaint and the *exact* symptoms of the problem, I can only guess what could have gone wrong.
First, for the smudge tool to be enabled at all, image must be RGB, not indexed.
Second, the tool's default behaviour had changed in 3.0x series - the usual "hard" smudging was available only with opacity mode disabled, and otherwise, a much less pronounced effect resulted. The change was partially reversed in version 3.10 - currently, "hard" smudging is the default, and right click on the smudge tool icon opens configuration dialog with "Respect opacity mode" toggle which enables the 3.0x behaviour. If your mtPaint version is 3.0x, I suggest you upgrade to 3.11; and if it is 3.1x already, then make sure the above toggle is off.

-= With best regards, Dmitry Groshev, maintainer of mtPaint =-

Thanks for the info! I'm running 3.11 now, but in both 3.11 and 3.10, the "smudge" button is completely inactive -- it doesn't highlight when you hover over it, and it doesn't respond to left- or right-click. I suspect, though, that the problem has something to do with the RGB vs. Indexed image type. I'll poke around that and see what we can find.
RobertB

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2007, 23:32    Post subject:  

Perfect -- the default image type seems to be "indexed", so the "convert to RGB" option (under "Image") did the trick. I can't find any way to set RGB as the default (at least not in Image/Preferences), but my son is pretty good at hacking around.

He also figured out how to use the "clipboard 1/2/3...9" to paste from one image to another, so he's been busy merging lolcats into new and unusual combinations.

But we haven't been able to figure out one thing, in any version of mtPaint. The "Place Gradient" tool is great, but we've never found a way to save the effect. It's probably something simple, like the "RGB" hint. Fingers crossed...
muggins

PostPosted: Tue 16 Oct 2007, 01:12    Post subject:  

there is a file /root/.mtpaint that has various parameters. whether any of these pertain to RGB/index i don't know...perhaps if you pm'ed wjaguar with a query?
wjaguar

PostPosted: Tue 16 Oct 2007, 01:32    Post subject:  

RobertB wrote:
I can't find any way to set RGB as the default (at least not in Image/Preferences)

Whatever was last used for File/New becomes the new default. Actually, section 3.1 of the manual documents that.

Quote:
The "Place Gradient" tool is great, but we've never found a way to save the effect. It's probably something simple, like the "RGB" hint. Fingers crossed...

The gradient shown while "Place Gradient" is on is just a preview. To make it permanent, enable Gradient mode (press gradient bar button in the 'Settings Toolbar' floating window) and draw over where you want the gradient. Any drawing or fill tool will do.

While this sequence is unusual and more complex than traditional "gradient fill" tool, it offers a number of benefits over it. First, it is trivially easy to fill several non-connected areas, such as letter shapes, with one continuous gradient - which is tricky proposition with "gradient fill". Next, gradient can be exactly positioned and tweaked in every way, without continually having to hit undo - and then committed to canvas when it is ready. And last but not least, in mtPaint one can draw freehand with a positioned gradient, which is just plain impossible with "gradient fill".
And "gradient fill" itself can be done by positioning gradient over an area and then flood-filling it in Gradient mode.

Again, manual section 3.5.6.1 had the answer all along:
http://mtpaint.sourceforge.net/handbook/en_GB/chap_03.html#SEC561
muggins

PostPosted: Tue 16 Oct 2007, 01:59    Post subject:  

hi wjaguar,

what setting does couple_RGBA = true, in the file /root/.mtpaint, control?
wjaguar

PostPosted: Tue 16 Oct 2007, 04:05    Post subject:  

muggins wrote:
what setting does couple_RGBA = true, in the file /root/.mtpaint, control?

And this is section 7.1.1 of the manual:
http://mtpaint.sourceforge.net/handbook/en_GB/chap_07.html#SEC11

The setting is the stored state of menu item 'Channels/Couple RGBA Operations', which controls whether drawing in image channel of an image with alpha will draw in alpha channel as well (ON) or leave alpha alone (OFF).
Basically it can be said to switch brush between RGB and RGBA modes, but there is one exception - for paste, it doesn't force RGBA clipboard into RGB when off, but instead forces RGB clipboard to RGBA when on. Besides draw operations, Gaussian blur follows the same pattern - when RGBA coupling is on, blurring the image channel also blurs alpha the same way.
muggins

PostPosted: Tue 16 Oct 2007, 04:21    Post subject:  

thanks for that. i really should peruse the handbook in greater detail...but i'm a bit lazy as i only use mtpaint for really simple stuff, being as aesthetically challenged as i am.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2007, 13:18    Post subject:  

I imported a 3.5 MB image and could not rotate or undo any special effects - not enough memory mtpaint said?

Gimp worked. Is it a bug?

fluxit

PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2007, 21:23    Post subject:  

Lobster,

Have you tried adjusting the "Max memory used for undo" value, in the General tab of the Preferences dialog?
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Thu 25 Oct 2007, 01:28    Post subject:  

yes fluxit - I did indeed, made no difference and anyway it is set to 32MB so that should be big enough at the start . . . Smile Many thanks anyway

I have never come across a size restriction before and have loaded some pretty big jpegs . . .

If someone is using 3.10 can they load a 3.5MB jpeg and try to rotate and upgrade and try again

Page 1 of 3 [39 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Jump to: