slapt-get/glapt for puppy 3.00

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
edoc

#31 Post by edoc »

Are most of the Slackware apps KDE dependent?

Sure would be unfortunate to have to accept KDE-bloat for new apps. :-(
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Kal

#32 Post by Kal »

edoc to answer your question, no.

If you install Slackware fully, you will find other window managers, file managers and apps that don't require KDE. I just like the added choice of KDE. My fully packed Puppy 2.17 frugal with KDE is only using 677mb of space.

Let's face it, programs like kirk is working on, are for convenience and choice.

Good Luck, Kal

msumner

#33 Post by msumner »

kirk wrote:msumner,

As far a KDE goes, I'm working on a package right now. I've got KDE & K3b packgage that's less than 50MB (compressed). Still need to work out some kinks. Probably possible to make a puppy iso at about 100mb with kde & k3b, would have to drop Seamonkey package, but KDE has Konqueror and would have to rebuild the kernel with lzma compression (or use 2.17's kernel).
Hi Kirk, any news on the kde package? Looking forward to testing it.
Mike

mjg

#34 Post by mjg »

I'm using KDE 3.57 in Puppy 3 now, installed via Gslapt. Basically, I installed all the KDE libs and main KDE files.

I couldn't run KDE from the X prompt, it just defaulted to JWM.

The way I got into KDE was rather strange. I installed Fluxbox, and it has a menu option for Window Managers, which included KDE. I clicked on the menu option and KDE started.

All the main KDE applications work fine, including Konqueror and KOffice.

friedsonjm

#35 Post by friedsonjm »

Could you use Conky and see what the impact is on RAM by adding KDE?
jf

kirk

#36 Post by kirk »

Updated the package. Change the .desktop file so that it would show up with KDE. Fixed a dummy package.

Started a new thread for KDE :

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 044#148044

miscos

#37 Post by miscos »

I am getting this error when after install in pyppy3.0 (frugal), i type 'gslapt' from console. If i clik on setup> gslapt pack manager, nothing happenas. I am using EZpup.

kirk

#38 Post by kirk »

Sorry, I haven't played with ezpup. You can try opening a terminal and typing:

# gslapt

If that works then maybe ezpup does something to the menu structure.

friedsonjm

#39 Post by friedsonjm »

Anyone familiar with slackpkg? http://slackpkg.sourceforge.net/

jf

miscos

#40 Post by miscos »

Kirk! I get /usr/sbin/gslapt: line 11: 3645 Floating point exceptiongslapt1 , when I typed 'gslapt' from console.

kirk

#41 Post by kirk »

miscos,

Try booting up pfix=ram and installing Gslapt. That should work. I don't know if it's a problem with EZpup or something else broke in your pup_save file.

If anyone has used EZpup and Gslapt, please post.

msumner

#42 Post by msumner »

Hi Kirk, I had ezpup installed on 3.00 before I installed gslapt. I still use it. I'm not in puppy now but I think I had to run it from terminal as no menu entry. Re installed it and menu entry was there. Apart from that, I think its working ok.

mdisaster2

#43 Post by mdisaster2 »

This may be worth looking into as well: http://www.stabellini.net/depslack.html

It is a replacement PACKAGES.TXT file for Slackware 12 which is like the original except it also has all the dependencies info for slapt_get.

I didn't try it yet with Puppy, but works great with Slackware.

friedsonjm

#44 Post by friedsonjm »

I'm trying:

xpkgtool which uses

slackpkg which uses

pkgtools

which seems to work well as a combination!

ttuuxxx

slapt

#45 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hi i've been using this new to puppy package manger ever since you posted it on here. The thing i would like changed is maybe the ability to have multi-thread downloads, the main package hosting site slacky.eu is extremely slow, most of the time i get around 6-8 kb and some of the other host is around 600kb but the slacky.eu has the most applications, if you could figure out a way to multi-thread like 8 or so connections that would be excellent.
Another idea; if i've downloaded a package using gslapt. Then why can't i store it on another drive for example and reopen it locally to install it, You see sometimes when i make a fire hydrant release it might take 15 or so tries before i am happy with the end result, So basically i have to download the same gslapt programs 15 times, which i find is a waste of my bandwidth, time and also the package host bandwidth. Thats why i love pet and pup packages, because i store them locally and a few clicks later they are all installed :) too bad they don't get updated very often like java 1.5 is the latest package but 1.6u3 is the official latest and you can only get it from sun micro systems or slackware, but the slackware one is missing system links for local applications, so that doesn't work, but really java is a real necessity for a lot of people and not to have the latest edition is just wrong for security reasons.
anyways i give gslapt a 7.5/10 . Its a tremendous leap forward for puppy, I think its excellent, its just a bit rough around the edges. But i am 100% sure that within the next few months we will see great improvements.
Well have fun
ttuuxxx

friedsonjm

#46 Post by friedsonjm »

Running the update results in LOTS of changes to the system; I don't know if this is a wise thing to do or not.

I guess I will find out if anything that I use 'breaks,' but in general, it would be nice to know if running a systemwide update from Slackware 12 is a good idea or not..

jf

..well, I broke something. X did not start and won't start on a reboot, am reinstalling the pup now...

kirk

#47 Post by kirk »

if i've downloaded a package using gslapt. Then why can't i store it on another drive for example and reopen it locally to install it
I think they are left in /var/slapt-get. When you download a package there's a box you can check to download only and not install. Then the package will be left in /var/slapt-get for sure. Don't know if there's a way to install a local package with Gslapt, might have to use slapt-get from command line.

Also, I just put a few Slackware mirrors in Gslapt. There's many more.

I guess I will find out if anything that I use 'breaks,' but in general, it would be nice to know if running a systemwide update from Slackware 12 is a good idea or not..
That would seem like a really bad idea, though I guess you found that out. :) Puppy is not Slackware 12.

friedsonjm

#48 Post by friedsonjm »

That would seem like a really bad idea, though I guess you found that out. Smile Puppy is not Slackware 12.
Which now brings up the issue... how do you know what is and what is not safe to download? And if the answer is, you don't, then what is the value of gslapt?

jf

kirk

#49 Post by kirk »

Most applications should be fine, but basic libraries and services like Xorg would be bad. I had hoped people would give feedback on what packages cause problems so that we could prevent them from being installed. As I stated before this is experimental software.

friedsonjm

#50 Post by friedsonjm »

Trouble is, when you install all updates, you don't know what is causing what problems. Maybe we need a version that has that option disabled...