Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 15 Sep 2019, 12:19
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
ebox 2300sx is ready
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 8 [111 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8 Next
joeblack

PostPosted: Mon 17 Sep 2007, 19:02    Post subject:  ebox 2300sx is ready
Subject description: 300mhz cpu + 128 MB DDR 3 usb2.0 ports +CF + + + but no coprocessor :(

I got the first sample 3 days ago and I have been testing it.
winCE 5.0 and dmp's xlinux doesnt give a chance to see the performance.
the main issue about vortex86sx is coprocessor. so you should recompile puppy with emulation and new nic and ata drivers. I have tried it several times. I succeeded once but it failed in first reboot, corrupted the file system. DMP gives support for 2.6.18 kernel, sı I used puppy 2.14.
the last error message at boot time is "not syncing: no cpio magic"
please cooparate for a new derivative like eboxpup before. any help appreciated. remember the success in ebox2300 (166 mhz), we can have a better one with ebox 2300sx (300mhz). HOPEFULLY. Smile

http://www.icoptech.com/ebox-pc/

http://www.dmp.com.tw/tech/vortex86sx/
1EBX23SX_b.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   39.67 KB
 Viewed   14125 Time(s)

1EBX23SX_b.jpg

the_squire

PostPosted: Fri 23 Nov 2007, 14:33    Post subject:  eBox 2300sx - bump
Subject description: 2.6.18.1 with Math Emulation? Please?

Bump.

I have one of these devices, too. I tried to follow Barry's instructions on how to compile the kernel, but I failed.

I would love to have a 2.6.18.1 kernel with math emulation goodness enabled.

Does anyone know of where such a 2.6.18.1 kernel might be available, pre-compiled?

[In other news, the eBox 4853 absolutely rocks with Puppy 2.13. Unfortunately, it's over 3x the cost of the 2300sx so I'm stuck looking for an OS to support the cheaper unit.]

Peace.
photonn

PostPosted: Fri 23 Nov 2007, 19:41    Post subject: I am messing with this one too  

Sorry, I am not using puppy, but there is so little discussion about this box on the net right now that I feel the need to share what little I know.

I began with Ubuntu but the install kernel paniced....

Tried Debian stable and got that install to work but the network interface was not recognized. In fact, lspci recognized almost nothing.
So, I dowloaded the Debian sources for 2.6.18 and patched it with the patches found here on the DMP website (http://www.dmp.com.tw/tech/vortex86sx/patch-2.6.18-DMP.gz). They have a pdf descrbing all the necessary kernel configuration (ftp://download@ftp.dmp.com.tw/vortex86sx/Vortex86SX_Linux_HowTo.pdf).

Now my biggest problem is that I cannot get Xorg to work on the box. I feel that the problem is the one referenced in the above pdf, but I am not really a guru. Xorg 7.1 was the version that I tried and it consistently crashes before you even see a mouse pointer.

This is where I am stuck .... Neat little box, the silence is golden .... a little slow, but should be fine for web, email and light coding.

I could send anyone who wanted it the kernel package I built, but it is a Debian package. It is the stock Debian 2.6.18 kernel with a patch for the R6040 ethernet driver and the config options recommended by DMP. Nothing else fancy.
beesfan

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2007, 21:56    Post subject:  

I'm having similar issues. I tried using pendrivelinux, whch got me round the coprocessor issue, and was able to boot into terminal. X refuses to start. Ethernet is not working, so I am unable to try the following steps from www.pendrivelinux.com:

Optional: In order to autoprobe and autodetect video hardware at boot, install xdebconfigurator.

1. Type apt-get install xdebconfigurator (to add xdebconfigurator for hardware detection)
2. Type rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf (to remove the xorg.conf file and let xdebconfigurator do its work)

I am a real novice in Linux, so I'm not sure how to proceed.
photonn

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2007, 23:48    Post subject:  

I am no expert either. But, a little reading between the lines and I think I know what is going on.

I think that xorg uses the cpuid instruction to get information about your processor. I think this is to determine things like if MMX is available.

I think that the vortex86sx does not support this cpuid instruction. This is the reason I believe that the xserver is crashing.

Unfortunately, I think that this means that nothing good is gonna happen with this box until a real expert gets his hands on one. Then, it will still be a release cycle until noobs like myself can easily install linux on one of these.
raffy

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov 2007, 02:00    Post subject: hurting itself  

Perhaps the maker of the ebox is hurting itself by announcing an inferior product that has higher mhz rating (300 mhz vs 200 mhz for the SoC ebox2300).
photonn

PostPosted: Tue 27 Nov 2007, 21:38    Post subject:  

I have a small success to report.

I managed to get xorg 7.1 to run. It was a real hack job. It turned out that there is a function that checks what the processor is capable of. This function is called "detectCPUFeatures()" and is in fbpict.c near the bottom.

This function is a small bit of assembly language that tries to identify your processor. This function will compile but will not run on the vortex86sx. I could find no complier options that would make this function work.

So, I re-compiled the package (again, I am working with debian) with this function essentially commented out. Actually, I re-wrote the function to return zero. I installed my custom package and ..... waited .... waited ....did I mention that this box is slow ..... waited .... and up came my window manager!

So, I'm starting to think that a custom puppy for this box would be possible (even for me) to create. All I really need is a machine to do this on. As I understand it, compiling puppy from scratch takes about 20 GB and about 2 days on a Vector Linux box.

Ah, maybe I can get away with just compiling the kernel and xorg .... something to think about. Also, I have no good way to share the files if I am successful. One problem at a time.......
beesfan

PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov 2007, 15:20    Post subject:  

Very interesting. Keep us posted! Smile
photonn

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov 2007, 07:42    Post subject:  

I am trying to re-build puppy 2.14 for this box now.

I have compiled the kernel with the needed patches.

Now where I am stuck is that the 2.14 devx is broken in a way that I don't know how to fix.

I am trying to recompile xorg to remove the cpuid routine that causes it to crash. When compiling, it stops with the error that it cannot find /usr/X11R7/lib/libXaw7.so ......

This file is provided by the 2.14 devx. Unfortunately, in the devx, this file is a symlink pointing to /usr/X11R7/lib/libXaw7.so.0.0 ..... which does not exist in the devx or on the system.

So, I am stuck hard unless someone can tell me where libXaw7.so is.

Sad
raffy

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov 2007, 09:07    Post subject: download  

This or that could help.

There's unrpm.pup (or undeb.pup) for Puppy for extracting RPMs.

photonn

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov 2007, 12:52    Post subject:  

Well, I just noticed/realized that kernel 2.6.18 is used all the way up to puppy 2.16.1. So, I tried again in that version of puppy.

The same problem is there in the devx file. The symlink libXaw7.so points to something that does not exist!

Now, I could use the above suggestion and rip this file from another distribution. My fear here is that it might be compiled under a different version of glibc (or any other library). Version control here is a crapshoot.

The larger question I have is ... why is the &*^(ing devx broken. Where is the puppy libXaw7.so ??????
d3xter

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec 2007, 19:14    Post subject:  

Hi. I've got Nortec jrsx and sucessfully run Debian etch with additional r6040 driver and modified native IDE driver. They can be found at http://people.debian.org/~dexter/vortex86sx/
photonn

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec 2007, 20:51    Post subject:  

dex3ter,

Did you manage to get Xorg working?

If not, I can share with you the solution that worked for me.
(short version, had to re-compile xorg after hacking out a function that tried, and crashed, to find out what kind of processor you have)

I think I have a .deb around here somewhere if you want to try it out.

I found it pretty slow ... that is what lead me to puppy.
photonn

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec 2007, 21:04    Post subject:  

Quick update on the progress .... if you wanna call it that. Smile

I have xorg compiled now ... simple fix for the library problem was to link libXaw7.so to libXaw8.so.0.0 instead of the non-existent libXaw7.so.0.0
I don't have any idea of what problems this could cause ... I just know that I got the thing to compile.

So, now I have my kernel and my new xorg .... on to puppy-unleashed to try to make an iso..... what should I do? Aha ... read the docs.

So, I read this (http://www.puppylinux.com/development/compilekernel.htm) and find this terrific advice:

"It is best if you have Puppy Unleashed installed. When the Unleashed tarball is expanded, there are two directories of concern: "boot" and "kernels".

The "boot" contains the file structure and a script to create the initial ramdisk. You will need to place some kernel modules in here."

Ah ha .... I see ... some modules ..... uuuuuuhhhhhh okay ... I'll put some in there. Then I read this:

"Note that in kernels/2.6.18.1 there is a file named 'System.map'. You should rename that and replace it with the new one from /usr/src/linux-2.6.18.1.
Basically, look through kernels/2.6.18.1/ and you should be able to see what needs to be updated."

I should???? Really? Do tell.

Anyway ... the update is that I have made about 10 isos ... none of them will boot because of kernel module problems. They all oops because I do not know how to correctly configure the boot and kernels directories in puppy-unleashed and the docs are not real specific on what to do.

So, I'm gonna keep experimenting with this, unless I can find some sucker to take this box off my hands.............
tempestuous

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec 2007, 21:43    Post subject:  

photonn wrote:
simple fix for the library problem was to link libXaw7.so to libXaw8.so.0.0 instead of the non-existent libXaw7.so.0.0

Yep, I was just about to suggest that.

A kernel "transplant" has a higher level of complexity than a standard remaster. Your new kernel is now completely incompatible with the original one, simply because you changed the kernel configuration.
You now need to replace the original kernel image (vmlinuz) with the new one, plus ALL the modules in /lib/modules/2.6.18.1/
then you need to rebuild the initrd, stripping out ALL modules, and replacing them with the equivalent revised modules.

photonn wrote:
"Note that in kernels/2.6.18.1 there is a file named 'System.map'. You should rename that and replace it with the new one from /usr/src/linux-2.6.18.1."

No, there's no need to touch System.map, since your new kernel modules all have the same names and locations as the original ones.
Page 1 of 8 [111 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to: