Puppy 3.00BETA bug reports here

Please post any bugs you have found
8-bit

CUPS Network printing

#46 Post by 8-bit »

This is twice I have had problems with network printing with CUPS. First under 2.17.1 and now under 3.00alpha. A needed file sems to be missing in both releases that is needed to print to a networked samba (Windows) printer. That file is smbspool. I know it is not very big, so could you include it in the final release. It get put in /usr/bin.
Thanks.

PaulBx1

#47 Post by PaulBx1 »

I've been trying to boot using my 216 pupsave, doing an upgrade. FYI I have an old Thinkpad with a ethernet pcmcia card and a usb flash in the USB 1.1 port.

Found some more things...

1) On that "making filesystem usable... failed" bug, it ALWAYS happens when I boot into ram, and it NEVER happens when booting using the pupsave. My error report is a little different than WN2A reported a few posts back:

Code: Select all

Making the filesystem usable... failed
Dumping last lines of /tmp/bootsysinit.log
Mounting devpts: Mounting /sys: Dumping last lines of kernel log... 
sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
usb-storage: device scan complete
ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
BTW looks like that second "Dumping" string needs a carriage return in front of it, (UPDATE: needs to be purple like the first dumping message for consistency) and needs to say "/tmp/bootkernel.log" rather than just "kernel log". Just picking nits...

2) When I boot into ram, either xorg or xvesa works at my usual resolution, 1024x768x24. When booting using the pupsave, it appears to work during either xorg or xvesa setup; however when the wizard is done and I type "xwin" I get only the taskbar. The rest of the screen is either black (xorg) or that salt-and-pepper xwindows pattern (xvesa). If I try to run something from the menu, apparently the only thing that works is rxvt.
Last edited by PaulBx1 on Wed 19 Sep 2007, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.

cswett

Making the filesystem usable... failed

#48 Post by cswett »

This seems to happen on hardware with usb devices. Likely cuased because the usbhid module is not loaded during installation.

After the install, correcting the startup scripts in /etc/rc.d (rc.local0) will fix the problem on subsequent bootups.

Leon

#49 Post by Leon »

Barry,

I hadn't none of this problem with previous versions including Puppy 2.17.1 that works perfectly.

1. At first boot this message is shown on the screen:
Registering unionfs 2.1.2 (for 2.6.21.7)
fuse init ( API version 7.8 )
Pausing for 60 s...

After pup_save file is saved and choosed at next boot this problem doesn't appears any more.

2. D-Link DFE-530TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (rev.C) - I can't establish Internet connection using Roaring Penguin PPPoE ADSL when set 'Ethernet Interface' to 'eth0' as in previous versions.

3. Intel(r)82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller - I can't setup ALSA sound.

4. Timezone was not set to 'GMT+1' and country localization was not set to 'sl-SI' after I choosed 'slovene' keyboard at first boot.

5. The locale files can't be fetched. When 'FETCH' button is pressed this message is shown on the screen:
"Sorry, but there does not appear to be a connection to the Internet. This program needs to download locale files off the Internet.
Connect to the Internet then click the OKAY button..."

6. When Roaring Penguin PPPoE ADSL Start button is pressed this message is shown on the screen:
"Error starting connection:
/usr/sbin/pppoe-start: line 44: /bin/id:
No such file or directory
pppoe-start: You must be root to run this script"

I saved the reports made with PupScan when using Puppy 2.17.1 and Puppy-p3.00beta so you can see the differences with TkDiff.
Attachments
PupScan-Puppy2.17.1_and_PupScan-Puppy3.00.beta.tar.gz
(1.57 KiB) Downloaded 449 times

PaulBx1

#50 Post by PaulBx1 »

This ("making filesystem usable" error) seems to happen on hardware with usb devices. Likely cuased because the usbhid module is not loaded during installation.
Nope. lsmod shows it's there.

1) Someone already noted the difficulty with the xvesa wizard. If you select a different resolution and just hit "Okay", it simply exits the wizard without changing anything. Might make more sense to rename the "Okay" button to "Quit", rename the "Test" button to "Apply", and make a new test button that temporarily tries the new resolution rather than leaving it there like the current "Test" button does now. "Test" sorta implies it will bring you back even if the test fails, in the windows world anyway...

2) The rc.shutdown has this line:
echo "pup_save.2fs mounted directly top layer, session already saved." >/dev/console
This might cause a bit of consternation for people using .3fs pupsaves, or using a pupsave with a different name, etc. Might make more sense to just call it "The pup_save file". I know this is another nit.

UPDATE:

3) It seems inconsistent to me, for the boot script to automatically copy the zdrv file from the CD down to the hard drive, when it does not do the same thing with the pup_221.sfs file. Not a bug, but a "feature".

4) On that "black screen above the task bar" problem that I reported earlier (when booting using a pup_save), it is strange. I can boot with the pupsave, get into the xorgwizard, and generate an xorg.conf that is exactly the same as the one I generate booting into ram. Also I have the same /root/.xinitrc file. Yet booting into ram gives me the normal screen and booting from the pupsave gives a black screen with no icons. I also did an lsmod to compare between the two conditions; the boot from pupsave has all the modules loaded that boot into ram does (and a few more). I have noticed a few programs run in the black screen condition: rxvt, tkdiff, and MUT. Most don't. Not sure where to look further at this point. My computer is an old A21m Thinkpad if I forgot to mention that...

BarryK
Puppy Master

#51 Post by BarryK »

4) On that "black screen above the task bar" problem that I reported earlier (when booting using a pup_save), it is strange. I can boot with the pupsave, get into the xorgwizard, and generate an xorg.conf that is exactly the same as the one I generate booting into ram. Also I have the same /root/.xinitrc file. Yet booting into ram gives me the normal screen and booting from the pupsave gives a black screen with no icons. I also did an lsmod to compare between the two conditions; the boot from pupsave has all the modules loaded that boot into ram does (and a few more). I have noticed a few programs run in the black screen condition: rxvt, tkdiff, and MUT. Most don't. Not sure where to look further at this point. My computer is an old A21m Thinkpad if I forgot to mention that...
It seems that ROX-Filer is crashing. Open a terminal and just type:
# rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
see what gets returned.
You could also try just:
# rox

ICPUG

#52 Post by ICPUG »

I get the "making filesystem usable... failed" bug both when I use pfix=ram and on subsequent boots when I use my pupsave. This is from a frugal install on a VFAT partition in a puppy300 directory.

One cannot find /initrd/sbin/init like we could in 2.17.1 to view the bootup script. Is this because of the aforementioned bug or because the initrd is a cpio archive and not a file system?

I'm desperate to see the bootup script. Can someone tell me how I can look at it?

ICPUG

PaulBx1

#53 Post by PaulBx1 »

I did "rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin". The result:

/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX-Filer: error while loading shared libraries: libpangocairo-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Then I ran gtkfind (another application that works) looking for libpangocairo and got this:

/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0.1600.4
/initrd/pup_rw/root/.packages/pango-1.12.2/usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0
/initrd/pup_rw/root/.packages/pango-1.12.2/usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0.1200.2
/initrd/pup_rw/root/214upgradefiles/versioncleanup/usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0.1200.2
/initrd/pup_rw/usr/lib/.wh.libpangocairo-1.0.so.0
/root/.packages/pango-1.12.2/usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0
/root/.packages/pango-1.12.2/usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0.1200.2
/root/214upgradefiles/versioncleanup/usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0.1200.2
/usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0.1600.4
I thought it looked wrong that /usr/lib did not have the link to that file like the directory on CD did, so I made one and rebooted X. Didn't fix anything. I did an "ls" and got this:

~ >ls -la /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/lib/libpangocairo*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    29 2007-09-15 07:54 /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0 -> libpangocairo-1.0.so.0.1600.4
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 30864 2007-05-04 15:05 /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0.1600.4
~ >ls -la /usr/lib/libpangocairo*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    29 2007-09-19 20:00 /usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0 -> libpangocairo-1.0.so.0.1600.4
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 30864 2007-05-04 15:05 /usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0.1600.4
~ >ls -la /initrd/pup_rw/usr/lib/libpangocairo*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 2007-09-19 20:00 /initrd/pup_rw/usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0 -> libpangocairo-1.0.so.0.1600.4
~ >
Looks like my pupsave had the link but not the file, and the union in /usr/lib had the file but not the link.

I wonder why these files and links are missing. Some erroneous whiteout files? I have noticed some strange unionfs messages in dmesg:

unionfs: do delay copyup of "lp.ko"
unionfs: saving rdstate with cookie 1 [1.2091]
unionfs: saving rdstate with cookie 2 [1.673]
unionfs: saving rdstate with cookie 3 [1.673]
unionfs: saving rdstate with cookie 4 [1.673]
unionfs: saving rdstate with cookie 5 [1.673]
unionfs: saving rdstate with cookie 6 [1.673]
etc.
UPDATE: Woops, looks like that thing in my pupsave IS a whiteout file! :oops: Helps to look closely... I will try deleting that whiteout to see if everything works.

PaulBx1

#54 Post by PaulBx1 »

OK, I deleted all my .wh. files (not the dir_opaque ones) and now I have my screen back! I wonder if I'm the only one having problems with whiteouts... :roll:

dgi

#55 Post by dgi »

Hi. I've finally decided to try Puppy for the first time, jumping in with both feet. The machine is a Toshiba Satellite 105CS made in 1996, maxed out to 40MB RAM. Since there is no CD drive, and no PCI bus for a USB host, I thought I'd manually install the contents of the CD onto the HD. I felt that the only real choice for a filesystem on the HD is the lightning-fast JFS, but I found Puppy 2.17 missing it from its kernel, so I figured I should get involved in broadening Puppy3's horizons. Of course, the 3.00beta doesn't have JFS in the kernel nor initrd either, so I can't boot Puppy yet. Please build a second beta with JFS support included. Thank you.

dgi

#56 Post by dgi »

While you're at it, since the laptop has no soundcard hardware, this would be a much appreciated addition:
http://www.geocities.com/stssppnn/pcsp.html
Thanks in advance. I'm sure many potential users could benefit.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#57 Post by BarryK »

ICPUG wrote:I get the "making filesystem usable... failed" bug both when I use pfix=ram and on subsequent boots when I use my pupsave. This is from a frugal install on a VFAT partition in a puppy300 directory.

One cannot find /initrd/sbin/init like we could in 2.17.1 to view the bootup script. Is this because of the aforementioned bug or because the initrd is a cpio archive and not a file system?

I'm desperate to see the bootup script. Can someone tell me how I can look at it?

ICPUG
The bug is now fixed.

To view the init script, read the Release Notes (see link in the beta announcement in my blog) which describe how to open a cpio archive.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#58 Post by BarryK »

PaulBx1 wrote:

/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0.1600.4
/initrd/pup_rw/root/.packages/pango-1.12.2/usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0
/initrd/pup_rw/root/.packages/pango-1.12.2/usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0.1200.2
/initrd/pup_rw/root/214upgradefiles/versioncleanup/usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0.1200.2
/initrd/pup_rw/usr/lib/.wh.libpangocairo-1.0.so.0
/root/.packages/pango-1.12.2/usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0
/root/.packages/pango-1.12.2/usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0.1200.2
/root/214upgradefiles/versioncleanup/usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0.1200.2
/usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0.1600.4
What is wrong is that you have installed a 'pango-1.12.2' package that has messed things up. Puppy already has the pango libraries, why install something else?

Philh

#59 Post by Philh »

I cant get connected with an external 56k dialup modem on serial port1.(ps2 mouse)
Ive tried with pupdial and gkdial.
Ive tried both betas (pfix=ram)
2.17.1 works ok.

From var/log/messages in beta
Sep 20 12:12:06 (none) daemon.notice pppd[7228]: pppd 2.4.4 started by root, uid 0
Sep 20 04:12:06 (none) kern.debug kernel: unionfs: do delay copyup of "slhc.ko"
Sep 20 04:12:06 (none) kern.info kernel: PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
Sep 20 04:12:06 (none) kern.debug kernel: unionfs: do delay copyup of "ppp_generic.ko"
Sep 20 04:12:06 (none) kern.debug kernel: unionfs: do delay copyup of "utmp"
Sep 20 04:12:06 (none) kern.warn kernel: ppp_async: Unknown symbol crc_ccitt_table
Sep 20 04:12:06 (none) kern.debug kernel: unionfs: do delay copyup of "ppp_async.ko"
Sep 20 04:12:06 (none) kern.warn kernel: ppp_async: Unknown symbol crc_ccitt_table
Sep 20 04:12:06 (none) daemon.notice modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting ppp_async (/lib/modules/2.6.21.7/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_async.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
Sep 20 12:12:06 (none) daemon.err pppd[7228]: Couldn't set tty to PPP discipline: Invalid argument
Sep 20 12:12:06 (none) daemon.info pppd[7228]: Exit.

In 217 a search for ppp_async shows
/sys/module/ppp_async
/sys/module/crc_ccitt/holders/ppp_async
/sys/module/ppp_generic/holders/ppp_async
/lib/modules/2.6.21.5/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_async.ko
/initrd/pup_ro2/lib/modules/2.6.21.5/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_async.ko

but in beta old kernel shows
/lib/modules/2.6.21.5/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_async.ko
/initrd/pup_ro2/lib/modules/2.6.21.5/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_async.ko

But I dont know why that is or if its really relevant.
Hopefully one day I'll understand these things.

PaulBx1

#60 Post by PaulBx1 »

Puppy already has the pango libraries, why install something else?
This was done to fix a Seamonkey problem I had a while back, with missing libraries. I don't know if it was the correct solution, since I am ignorant about such things, but it was the one suggested to me, and it worked. The link in the old forum was http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=11848 I believe, but I don't know how to translate that into the new forum.

I could back this stuff out, if I knew what was supposed to be there. Just delete all the pango stuff in the /initrd/pup_rw/usr/lib directory I suppose?

UPDATE: There doesn't appear to be any, except that non-attached link I just created. :oops: All there is is what was under root which I guess doesn't do anything. I can clean that out too...

dgi

#61 Post by dgi »

PaulBx1 wrote:The link in the old forum was http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=11848 I believe, but I don't know how to translate that into the new forum.
This? http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=11848
Just replace ".org/%7E" with "-linux.com/" in the URL.

dsj

#62 Post by dsj »

Installed (frugal) Beta 3 on a laptop as well as a desktop & there are two issues noted with seamonkey on both computers, If try to get a theme for seamonkey or an add on it ends up with unexpected error 201, I can add themes & add ons to Firefox.

While playing videofiles in the browser (Seamonkey & Firefox) i can not adjust the volume, pause or restart the video as the buttons do not respond.

wmpower gives the message No power management subsystem detected. I boot with the irqpoll & acpi=force options (on the same computers, wmpower runs in Grafpup 2).

BarryK
Puppy Master

#63 Post by BarryK »

PaulBx1 wrote:
I could back this stuff out, if I knew what was supposed to be there. Just delete all the pango stuff in the /initrd/pup_rw/usr/lib directory I suppose?

UPDATE: There doesn't appear to be any, except that non-attached link I just created. :oops: All there is is what was under root which I guess doesn't do anything. I can clean that out too...
Well, it depends how Puppy is installed. You might find the Pango files in /initrd/pup_ro1. Delete them, then reboot. Make sure 'show hidden files' is on, so there are no whiteout files related to the pango files, either in /initrd/pup_rw or /initrd/pup_ro1.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#64 Post by BarryK »

dsj wrote:While playing videofiles in the browser (Seamonkey & Firefox) i can not adjust the volume, pause or restart the video as the buttons do not respond.
This is fixed, please read the Developer News Blog.

PaulBx1

#65 Post by PaulBx1 »

Thanks dgi, yes that is the right thread.

OK I deleted all that extraneous pango stuff.

In the process I intentionally deleted a directory /root/214upgradefiles (which is where I keep the versioncleanup stuff in an upgrade - OK I'm a packrat!) Anyway this of course only existed in my pupsave, not on the CD, so I was surprised to see my deletion generating a whiteout file, /initrd/pup_rw/root/.wh.214upgradefiles. I was hoping the new unionfs didn't do that.

I also get a few whiteout files like this every time I boot:

/ >find .  -type f -name ".wh.*"|grep -v opaque
./initrd/pup_rw/var/lib/pcmcia/.wh.cm-2378-0
./initrd/pup_rw/var/lib/pcmcia/.wh.cm-2378-1
./initrd/pup_rw/var/lib/pcmcia/.wh.cm-2378-2
./initrd/pup_rw/var/lib/pcmcia/.wh.cm-2381-0
They tend to pile up after a while. These too are apparently files in my pupsave so don't need whiteouts. Maybe I should just clear them out with a command in rc.local! :roll:

Seems like this bug should have been dealt with by the unionfs folks by now. It's pretty blatant. And it doesn't seem like the sort of thing it would be hard to fix.