Puppy 3.00BETA bug reports here

Please post any bugs you have found
zigbert

#31 Post by zigbert »

Henry
Yes, I see that you are right about the preselected buttons in Pfind and Pbdict.. It does not work in 3.00 (it does in 2.17). Just a wild guess, but both gtk and gtkdialog has been upgraded.

Barry
- Plinej has upgraded Prename to 0.6
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?&t=16016
- stardust gtk-theme has been upgraded today
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=16203
- if you really intend to continue using PuppyMirror, I've upgraded the main file for gtk-stock icons and using gtkdialog3
Attachments
puppymirror.tar.gz
(2.25 KiB) Downloaded 610 times

davec51

Can't remove CD

#32 Post by davec51 »

My Puppy3 (named 2.17 in the /etc directory, by the way) won't dismount. I can't use my CD player while running Puppy. A great feature of previous versions was that everything went into RAM and left the CD free.

Henry

Solved

#33 Post by Henry »

Above I wrote:

"in the pristine test -
boot up message: "attached SCSI removable disk SDB" Think this may have misidentified a USB memory, which was previously correctly identified."

I have edited that out. The memory chip is still shown correctly in 3beta. What is different is that I normally have a 512MB chip there, but had temporarily inserted a small 16MB Canon camera chip. For whatevever reason it was not properly recognized in Pmount, but no difference between 3beta and 2.17.1.

Sorry for the red herring,

Henry

ArnaudN

#34 Post by ArnaudN »

Hi everyone,

Tried 3.00beta on the laptop where I usually use puppy 2.16.

The 1280*800 resolution is OK for the first time (I mean without manually edit xorg.conf).
I could setup my wifi network even if I needed to reenter the setup three times, but let's say I did wrong manipulation :wink:

BTW, I have a problem with the flash plugin.
It seems mouse commands are not recognized. For example, I can't change volume or pause a video on youtube.
I have even tried to play with local swf file and there is no way to go further than the first splash screens.

Hope it helps
ArnaudN

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Can't remove CD

#35 Post by BarryK »

davec51 wrote:My Puppy3 (named 2.17 in the /etc directory, by the way) won't dismount. I can't use my CD player while running Puppy. A great feature of previous versions was that everything went into RAM and left the CD free.
I don't understand your question. If you boot 3.00beta on a PC with little RAM, at shutdown you are asked if you want to copy the .sfs files from CD to the hard drive (same place as the pup_save) -- if you answer yes to this, then at next bootup your CD drive is frred up for other uses.

I don't understand what you mean about "named 2.17 in the /etc directory".

BarryK
Puppy Master

#36 Post by BarryK »

ArnaudN wrote:BTW, I have a problem with the flash plugin.
It seems mouse commands are not recognized. For example, I can't change volume or pause a video on youtube.
I have even tried to play with local swf file and there is no way to go further than the first splash screens.
I upgraded the Flash player. It's really awful, such a gross bloated thing, and the upgrade is almost 1MB bigger. I could go back to the earlier Flash9 version, ....or even go back to the Flash7 player, which is very small and worked well.

BlackAdder

#37 Post by BlackAdder »

Tried an upgrade from 2.17 to 3.0B ( alias 2.21) on USB flash drive. Puppy thinks it is an upgrade on every subsequent reboot, and goes through the upgrade motions each time.
EZPUP installed and working after the upgrade. However, on a pristine install installing EZPUP has not effect.

davec51

Re: Can't remove CD

#38 Post by davec51 »

BarryK wrote:
davec51 wrote:My Puppy3 (named 2.17 in the /etc directory, by the way) won't dismount. I can't use my CD player while running Puppy. A great feature of previous versions was that everything went into RAM and left the CD free.
I don't understand your question. If you boot 3.00beta on a PC with little RAM, at shutdown you are asked if you want to copy the .sfs files from CD to the hard drive (same place as the pup_save) -- if you answer yes to this, then at next bootup your CD drive is frred up for other uses.

I don't understand what you mean about "named 2.17 in the /etc directory".
When I go to /etc/puppyversion it says, "2.17" for the version.
More significant is my inability to eject the cd after bootup.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#39 Post by Flash »

I can confirm that 3.0 beta (either kernel) will not save to a multisession DVD+RW. I tried it with two brands of DVD+RW which I have used for multisession Puppy before. To make sure it wasn't the disk or the drive, I burned 2.17 onto one of the disks that had failed with 3.0 beta, and it saved sessions just fine. It's the one I'm using right now.

Attached is a screenshot of what happens when 3.0 beta is told to save to CD (in my case a DVD) at shutdown. There is no obvious way to back out of this window. I know, ctrl-alt-backspace should get to the command line, but when you do that can't you lose some stuff that you might have meant to save?

Anyway, whatever option I choose, nothing will convince Puppy to save to the DVD.
Attachments
3beta_multisession_error.JPG
(31.85 KiB) Downloaded 1403 times
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

WN2A

#40 Post by WN2A »

Hello All,
Looks like two items for me:
1) The boot sequence failure message (others noted), but does not appear on every computer I have tried. Comes up on a Pentium 2, a P3 and a P4. Did not on two P4's.

Perform a 'switch root' to the new Unionfs filesystem... done
Making the filesystem usable... failed
Dumping last lines of /tmp/bootsysinit.log
Mounting devpts: Mounting /sys: Dumping last lines of kernel log...
Registering unionfs 2.1.2 (for 2.6.21.7)
fuse init (API version 7.8)
ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
Pausing for 60 Seconds...

2) Video Adaptors: on two Diamond videocards, no luck with 2.2 or either 3.0 beta. These cards did work with 2.16/ 2.16.1 2.17 /2.17.1 . An ATI Rage card did great with all versions, including 3.00 BETA with 2.6.18.1 kernel .

Item #1 may not have anything do do with item#2, I'm thinking.

Thanks All,
WN2A
CWLab : Amateur Radio CW Program Moving to GNU/Linux!
[url]http://www.qsl.net/wn2a[/url]

Sage

#41 Post by Sage »

Worse - the message at 1. , above, along with the 60s delay seems to appear randomly. First time I didn't see it on my test system, second time (using identical HW and no boot codes) it popped up. But didn't affect the ultimate outcome. Just makes the boot time much, much more protracted.

justauser

Also seeing the crash

#42 Post by justauser »

I am also seeing the crash using the 3.0 beta. I also tried the beta with the older kernel and saw crashes. It doesn't happen all the time. I copied the files to a USB stick that was booting 2.17.1 just fine and it crashed every time. Used the CD and it crashed 2 times and then booted. This is on a machine that ran 2.17.1. On a second machine it fails all the time.

zygo

#43 Post by zygo »

Booting from cd entirely in ram with no accessible pup_save file.

During boot I get the 'Making filesystem useable ..... failed!' error.

If I use boot param layerfs=aufs then I get a 'Making filesystem useable...failed' but unionfs is still mentioned in the /tmp/bootsysinit.log

lines that are displayed.

I tried dialup with pupdial. I used the pupdial probe to set the init string. The call ends after a second with errors 'authentication failed',

'no carrier' and 'ppp daemon has died (exit code = 2)' or sometimes 'exit code = 1'. I succeeded in connecting with the same isp details using

2.17.1 before and after this failure.

Can I suggest that the pupdial gui stays open after the disconnect button is pressed so that errors can be read more easily. A report of

connection start and end time would be handy too.

I tried wvdial from the command line and this failed too - as expected. However, I could not stop it from retrying. It is listed in top but not

in the new kp. I told kp to kill something else and although the item disappeared from the list the gui remained open.

Anyway, I'll try dialup using v3 with the old kernel when I can get connected to Ibiblio. Or maybe I'll wait for 3 beta2!

8-bit

Games and 3.00alpha

#44 Post by 8-bit »

First.
Dell 900mhz. 256 meg ram 40gig and 20 gig hard drives ATI Rage XL 8meg video. (not 3D?)
I have installed and played doom and duke3D with 2.71.1 but no go with 3.00alpha. I get a X color error in terminal when I try to run it as well as No port 17 port 20 ok.
Is this due to the kernal change or am I missing something here.
This is with a full hard drive install.
Also, CUPS crashes when I install the CUPS dotpup to get a more complete list of printers to install my WINXP networked printers.

RMP

Zydas wireless adapter with WPA

#45 Post by RMP »

Hi

I am using a Zydas 1211b USB wireless dongle with WPA encryption. In version 2.17.1 this all worked perfectly, but in 3.00 beta the network wizard puts up a message saying WPA encryption is not possible with the Zydas adapter.

Thank you

8-bit

CUPS Network printing

#46 Post by 8-bit »

This is twice I have had problems with network printing with CUPS. First under 2.17.1 and now under 3.00alpha. A needed file sems to be missing in both releases that is needed to print to a networked samba (Windows) printer. That file is smbspool. I know it is not very big, so could you include it in the final release. It get put in /usr/bin.
Thanks.

PaulBx1

#47 Post by PaulBx1 »

I've been trying to boot using my 216 pupsave, doing an upgrade. FYI I have an old Thinkpad with a ethernet pcmcia card and a usb flash in the USB 1.1 port.

Found some more things...

1) On that "making filesystem usable... failed" bug, it ALWAYS happens when I boot into ram, and it NEVER happens when booting using the pupsave. My error report is a little different than WN2A reported a few posts back:

Code: Select all

Dumping last lines of /tmp/bootsysinit.log
Mounting devpts: Mounting /sys: Dumping last lines of kernel log... 
sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
usb-storage: device scan complete
BTW looks like that second "Dumping" string needs a carriage return in front of it, (UPDATE: needs to be purple like the first dumping message for consistency) and needs to say "/tmp/bootkernel.log" rather than just "kernel log". Just picking nits...

2) When I boot into ram, either xorg or xvesa works at my usual resolution, 1024x768x24. When booting using the pupsave, it appears to work during either xorg or xvesa setup; however when the wizard is done and I type "xwin" I get only the taskbar. The rest of the screen is either black (xorg) or that salt-and-pepper xwindows pattern (xvesa). If I try to run something from the menu, apparently the only thing that works is rxvt.
Last edited by PaulBx1 on Wed 19 Sep 2007, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.

cswett

#48 Post by cswett »

This seems to happen on hardware with usb devices. Likely cuased because the usbhid module is not loaded during installation.

After the install, correcting the startup scripts in /etc/rc.d (rc.local0) will fix the problem on subsequent bootups.

Leon

#49 Post by Leon »

Barry,

I hadn't none of this problem with previous versions including Puppy 2.17.1 that works perfectly.

1. At first boot this message is shown on the screen:
Registering unionfs 2.1.2 (for 2.6.21.7)
fuse init ( API version 7.8 )
Pausing for 60 s...

After pup_save file is saved and choosed at next boot this problem doesn't appears any more.

2. D-Link DFE-530TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (rev.C) - I can't establish Internet connection using Roaring Penguin PPPoE ADSL when set 'Ethernet Interface' to 'eth0' as in previous versions.

3. Intel(r)82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller - I can't setup ALSA sound.

4. Timezone was not set to 'GMT+1' and country localization was not set to 'sl-SI' after I choosed 'slovene' keyboard at first boot.

5. The locale files can't be fetched. When 'FETCH' button is pressed this message is shown on the screen:
"Sorry, but there does not appear to be a connection to the Internet. This program needs to download locale files off the Internet.
Connect to the Internet then click the OKAY button..."

6. When Roaring Penguin PPPoE ADSL Start button is pressed this message is shown on the screen:
"Error starting connection:
/usr/sbin/pppoe-start: line 44: /bin/id:
No such file or directory
pppoe-start: You must be root to run this script"

I saved the reports made with PupScan when using Puppy 2.17.1 and Puppy-p3.00beta so you can see the differences with TkDiff.
Attachments
PupScan-Puppy2.17.1_and_PupScan-Puppy3.00.beta.tar.gz
(1.57 KiB) Downloaded 449 times

PaulBx1

#50 Post by PaulBx1 »

This ("making filesystem usable" error) seems to happen on hardware with usb devices. Likely cuased because the usbhid module is not loaded during installation.
Nope. lsmod shows it's there.

1) Someone already noted the difficulty with the xvesa wizard. If you select a different resolution and just hit "Okay", it simply exits the wizard without changing anything. Might make more sense to rename the "Okay" button to "Quit", rename the "Test" button to "Apply", and make a new test button that temporarily tries the new resolution rather than leaving it there like the current "Test" button does now. "Test" sorta implies it will bring you back even if the test fails, in the windows world anyway...

2) The rc.shutdown has this line:
echo "pup_save.2fs mounted directly top layer, session already saved." >/dev/console
This might cause a bit of consternation for people using .3fs pupsaves, or using a pupsave with a different name, etc. Might make more sense to just call it "The pup_save file". I know this is another nit.

UPDATE:

3) It seems inconsistent to me, for the boot script to automatically copy the zdrv file from the CD down to the hard drive, when it does not do the same thing with the pup_221.sfs file. Not a bug, but a "feature".

4) On that "black screen above the task bar" problem that I reported earlier (when booting using a pup_save), it is strange. I can boot with the pupsave, get into the xorgwizard, and generate an xorg.conf that is exactly the same as the one I generate booting into ram. Also I have the same /root/.xinitrc file. Yet booting into ram gives me the normal screen and booting from the pupsave gives a black screen with no icons. I also did an lsmod to compare between the two conditions; the boot from pupsave has all the modules loaded that boot into ram does (and a few more). I have noticed a few programs run in the black screen condition: rxvt, tkdiff, and MUT. Most don't. Not sure where to look further at this point. My computer is an old A21m Thinkpad if I forgot to mention that...