WHICH Puppy derivatives?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rcrsn51

#106 Post by rcrsn51 »

jss83 wrote:Which puppy uses this kernel: mt7601u_huge_slacko_PAE-k4.1.11.pet
That's confusing. I think you mean "Which Puppy uses this driver package"?

The huge_slacko_PAE-k4.1.11 kernel was an optional kernel built by 01micko for people who wanted to upgrade their Slacko kernel. No Puppy has it OOTB. If you want to use that driver PET, you must do a kernel change.
I am tired of having to change it everytime I install puppy, or is there a way to change kernel inside the iso?
I don't know what "it" means. Are you saying that you are familiar with the kernel-change procedure?
I am using tahr-6.0.5_noPAE and only this kernel supports the driver [mt7601u_slacko630-k4.1.11-x86_64.pet] needed for the wifi dongle.
Again confusing. You have a 32bit noPAE Puppy but are referring to a 64bit driver PET.

jss83

#107 Post by jss83 »

I want to use a puppy where I don't have to change the kernel right after I install it coz without changing it, no driver works and the wifi don't work.

Yes I can change the kernel with change_kernels in the terminal but .. I would prefer a puppy that has the driver already. Or.. maybe there's a way to add this kernel to the tahrpup iso, I don't know about that.

I copy pasted the wrong driver there.. sorry about that. I am using tahr-6.0.5_noPAE and I use change_kernels-1.0.pet to change the kernel to this kernel-modules.sfs-4.1.11-slacko_PAE and then I add this driver to use the wifi mt7601u_slacko630-k4.1.11.pet. Am I doing everything wrong? :?

rcrsn51

#108 Post by rcrsn51 »

jss83 wrote:Am I doing everything wrong?
No. You are using the correct procedure with this adapter and its driver.
I would prefer a puppy that has the driver already.
At the moment, I don't believe that ANY Puppy supports this device OOTB.
Or.. maybe there's a way to add this kernel to the tahrpup iso, I don't know about that.
You could change to the 4.9.13 xenial kernel that has the driver built-in. Then do a remaster of the ISO to contain the new kernel files.

jss83

#109 Post by jss83 »

I like the last part, not sure I know how to though, I tried to built a remastered cd long time back but I don't think I succeeded but I'll try again.

This one would work right huge-4.9.13-xenial_noPAE.tar.bz2 :shock:

rcrsn51

#110 Post by rcrsn51 »

jss83 wrote:I like the last part, not sure I know how to though, I tried to built a remastered cd long time back but I don't think I succeeded but I'll try again.
The program ISOMaster in the Multimedia menu does this. If you have trouble, ask for help in the Users section.
This one would work right huge-4.9.13-xenial_noPAE.tar.bz2
You will need to test it yourself to be sure. It is a big jump in kernels from your Tahrpup 605.

jss83

#111 Post by jss83 »

Okay thanks, I'll see if it works first then worry about remastering it.

Thx so much :)

jss83

#112 Post by jss83 »

Update: It didn't work. :(

I used the same method to change it with change_kernels in the terminal but it shows "Error message: Not a valid kernel file" :?

Is there a puppy that has that kernel built in?

Sailor Enceladus

#113 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

jss83 wrote:Is there a puppy that has that kernel built in?
Judging by it's date (March 7th) I'm guessing it's used in xenialpup-7.0.8-uefi.iso or xenialpup-7.0.8.1-uefi.iso here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/test/xenialpup/

jss83

#114 Post by jss83 »

Thanks, I'll see if this one works.

Thanks so much. :)

PS:Although, looking at this thread, it seems it has a lot of problems. :? http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=106479

jss83

#115 Post by jss83 »

Update: I risked downloading the latest which is 7.0.8.5 and it does has the driver because my wifi usb is recognized rightaway, so let's see if everything else works okay or I run into some problems (like always).

Thanks

PS: I didn't realize it was x64 but apparently my system can run x64 :shock:

So far so good, I installed everything I wanted, although the pychess isn't working, it says it needs python_cairo but ppm shows it's already installed, which is weird but rest all is okay.. for now. And it has Mpv, no vlc but it looks cool.

And I don't know if it is xenial pup or latest palemoon update, it now plays twitter videos. :D

A problem I found, no matter what Icon theme one uses, the folder icons inside remain the same. :roll:

glene77is

#116 Post by glene77is »

rcrsn51,

Using puppy_upupbb_19.03.sfs ,
with kernel 4.9.163
from upupBB_BB19_32-8.0+3-uefi-190415.iso

Would this help jss83 ?

Have been writing code for fifty years, and have survived.
(0) I admit to jumping ship and installing each new version of Puppy
(1) then building a new savefile
(2) then doing my set-up for favorite applications each time.
(*) I keep savefiles with date-time-stamp, everyday,
sometimes every hour, so I can restore.

Rcrsn51, Thank you for your long-term involvement with Puppy systems.
Puppy Linux is more fun than a barrel of M$ monkeys :P
www.geocities.WS/glene77is
glene77is --- {^,^} --- electricity is shocking, Memphis, TN, USA.