How to call Thunar from Rox or Rox from Thunar

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Keisha

How to call Thunar from Rox or Rox from Thunar

#1 Post by Keisha »

This will provide the ability to open Thunar from within Rox-Filer, on the same subdirectory as Rox-Filer is now on, with just one click.

Or vice-versa.

Please go here (about 7 messages below here) (I was a bit confused at first)
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 448#837448

(***earlier message here deleted, as what MochiMoppel has taught me makes it irrelevant and, in fact, silly!***)
Last edited by Keisha on Wed 01 Apr 2015, 06:49, edited 5 times in total.
“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.â€￾ --Bruce Lee

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Hmm bring Rox up from Thunar...thanks for the idea... those times you want to sort out broken symlinks and copy dev nodes for example....

By the way made a handly make symlink right click scriptlet thats callable from thunar... mimics the handy rox version...ish.

Always one for a top tip :)

mike

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

Somewhere in the Thunar settings there is a custom menu items thingy..might be 'custom actions' ... sorry using puppy at the moment and I am brainless.
Get similar to rox...ie set what file sypes it shows for etc.
It also was better for sending a pile of mp3 to a player as normal select did not make some players happy due to how it went via desktop file details.

very handy for adding the goodies :) ...

Will post more when I get it back on.

mike

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

hmm yes those actions need a file or folder to work...the latter might help....assuming you don't frantically search every folder on the machine daily :D

Thunar is likely the same...it needs a target.

Sorry no windows ability for this one it seems :)

Had some sleep.... I can half think :D

Still puppying...
mike

Keisha

#5 Post by Keisha »

mikeb wrote:...assuming you don't frantically search every folder on the machine daily :D...
Actually, more days than not, I do :? . Two terabytes, about half full. Takes one cigarette break to do a find|grep in / with all eleven partitions mounted. To do a pfind (or Double Commander) search on contained text for a specific phrase, I start it and then either go have lunch or else take the real Keisha for a two-mile walk.
“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.â€￾ --Bruce Lee

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

sounds like data overload...anyway pfind is s-l-o-w which does not help..there are better tools around.

I assume you have some idea where things are in reasonably organised folders.

Mike

Keisha

call Thunar from within Rox

#7 Post by Keisha »

mikeb wrote:sounds like data overload...anyway pfind is s-l-o-w which does not help..there are better tools around.

I assume you have some idea where things are in reasonably organised folders.

Mike
Not really. Scattered around these 8 hard disk and 3 usb stick partitions are a total of 59 non-Puppy and 423 Puppy or Puppy-derivative iso's.

OK, back to business:

Attached is a rox-app, to be unpacked in /usr/local/apps; if you look inside, you will see that .DirIcon points to /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/Thunar.png, so in case you don't have that I also attach the icon.

Then open rox on any of the mime-type folders in /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith, drag it from /usr/local/apps to the OpenWith/<mimetype> folder of your choice, drop it there and link-absolute it.

Now, whenever you right-click on a file of that mimetype in rox, at the top of the menu the choice "Open Thunar Here" will appear.

You can also create a symlink to it in the /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/SendTo directory. This way, right-clicking any file, then left-click SendTo, then left-click Open Thunar Here, will summon Thunar.

So, if you want to open Thunar (say, for example, to do a mass-copy using Thunar's copy--paste facility), you can conveniently do so from any rox window.

***note, a little later: if you are using a Puppy which has an earlier version of bash, you might need to do

Code: Select all

geany "/usr/local/apps/Open Thunar Here/AppRun"
and remove the quote marks from the thunar line.***
Attachments
Open Thunar Here.tar.gz
unpack this in /usr/local/apps (OK if it is named Open%20Thunar%20Here.tar.gz)
(366 Bytes) Downloaded 272 times
Thunar.png.gz
unpack this in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/ if Thunar.png doesn't already exist
(661 Bytes) Downloaded 280 times
Last edited by Keisha on Wed 01 Apr 2015, 17:25, edited 10 times in total.

Keisha

Call Rox from within Thunar

#8 Post by Keisha »

Now for the other way...to call Rox from within Thunar...

1. Open Thunar
2. Edit, Configure Custom Actions
3. Click the "+" sign, add a custom action
4. Make the "Basic" and "Appearance Conditions" contents match that shown below.
5. Click OK.

Now, in a Thunar window, right-click in whitespace, roll down in the menu to Open Rox here, left-click, and Rox appears, pointed to the same directory Thunar is on.
Attachments
2015-03-31-231122_393x499_scrot.png
(48.45 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
2015-03-31-231239_393x499_scrot.png
(44 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
Last edited by Keisha on Wed 01 Apr 2015, 06:49, edited 1 time in total.

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

Ah good you found it :)
423 Puppy or Puppy-derivative iso's.
Don't you ever question the need for that many versions... I have 5.. 3 for nostalgia..

You realise that would mean working on 1.5 different systems a day for a year ... hence my data overload statement which i suspected.
If puppy was that good/organised you would not need so many either...

Most distros have their landmarks/stables and latest release.

I also find it amusing that most puplets are simply standard releases with a few changed apps and a nice wallpaper...also of course each one based on a slightly different release. Thats just chaos...hence the busy forum since no 2 installs will be the same.

For a potentially modular system that makes even less sense.

Yes off topic but this is not good for your head or productivity..

a wellwisher..

Mike

Keisha

#10 Post by Keisha »

mikeb wrote:Ah good you found it :)
423 Puppy or Puppy-derivative iso's.
Don't you ever question the need for that many versions...
:lol: I'm a classic packrat. Never know when you might want to use compiz or the 2.0 version of OpenOffice...

30 of these are spins of DebianDog that I've made --been learning the Debian packaging tools on.

Usually these days I'm on DebianDog-Jessie with openbox and xfce4, a spin made by fredx181 on February 22nd. With all the Debian compiling and packaging tools, and I've made fglrx work on it. There are 408 add-on .deb's installed. Just imagine trying to wrangle 408 .pet's using Puppy Package Manager, which Synaptic makes look like a joke by comparison.

For maintenance, Quirky Unicorn.

I've installed TahrPup and Lucid 5.2.8 on friends'/relatives' machines, so those for on-the-phone maintenance usage.

And once in awhile, pemasu's upup-raring-3.9.9.1, because I never get tired of looking at a masterpiece.

The rest are wine cellar holdings, or things to try on a rainy someday.

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

The rest are wine cellar holdings.
believe me they won't mature unless you make them :D

Well slax was my visit to 'doing it properly' ..helps a lot to get a taste of the other half. Elegant to the point scripting... There is no fat to trim.
Actually 95% of my puppy time goes on script improving..but it pays of with magnitude gains in speed. Its like getting a porshe with concrete in the boot and parts from a ford, cheap oils and 2 star petrol. The ideas there but runs like a pig.

Base core and add what you want when you want it seems a good plan too.. You know the way most distros and windows used to.

Older pups hardware window was smaller...so ended up with a collection but seems less of a need now...again slax kernel joy..

But now I am monologging and you have 423 pups to drag around on a chain ;)...sorry my warped humour.

mike

mikeb

#12 Post by mikeb »

PS ...is the basic reason for so many is because its free ?
You can tell me... :)

mike

Keisha

#13 Post by Keisha »

mikeb wrote:PS ...is the basic reason for so many is because its free ?
No, it's because you never know when you may not have the luxury of modern equipment anymore. Although if they cost $1 apiece I probably wouldn't have so many.

I've shied away from testing Slacko and Slax and Slackware because I've heard a nasty rumor that, because Patrick Volkerding does not believe in patching, complex packages such as vlc or cairo-dock are iffy in Slackware and hence in Slack-derived distro's. Is there any truth to this slander?

mikeb

#14 Post by mikeb »

Hmm well actually erm...

The main problem I (and Tomas if you read his blog) with slax was actually slackware... not sure if there is any specific mal doings its just that packages were often incomplete or broken. System scripts are no problem and do the job nicely and tomas's work is of a genius (the live system imitated by puppy)
kde4 is a joke but that easy to shed being modular. changing to say xfce4 immedeately speed everytihing up and half the size.

The solution is a combination of working thorugh such things, compiling yourself, replacing with debian/ubuntu packages or use the wrappers and use entirely ubuntu...thats the latest approach I have tried and a nice result.
The kernels seem to be the best part of the slack builds offered.

debian dog type stuff...

mike.