HOWTO : Share files and folders between Computers

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
MACE1

Windows Shares

#76 Post by MACE1 »

Standard access to Windows Server Shares required = SMB.
FTP is available but not used for this.
The above discussion is what is required however as an old discussion, the wary 5.1.1 I have does not appear to be provided with these tools.
As I am very new to all this, I need to know WHAT I should be looking for to easily browse to Windows Network Shares or Linux Shares using puppy wary?

rcrsn51

#77 Post by rcrsn51 »

Look in the menus under Network. You should see "Pnethood Samba Shares" and maybe "lameSMBxplorer Samba browser".

MACE1

#78 Post by MACE1 »

:D
I had tried this particular utility before but having entered suitable network credentials for a listed server I got a mounted prompt but did not appreciate I would not then see a shared drive / mount / folder without using the show within the utility. (I've been spoiled by Ubuntu)

Is there a command line component to this which I could utilise to create a script file to mount a series of usual shares for regular access ?
How would I create desktop or similar icons to point to these shares or allow ROX-filer easier access.

In a similar way to the set of console command line scripts I have created and made executable for RDESKTOP to different machines !

Do I assume BASH is the default scripting language for Puppy ?

rcrsn51

#79 Post by rcrsn51 »

Have a look at YASSM. It doesn't automount shares at bootup - although that is possible to set up. However, it puts the mount points in your home directory, so they are easier to find with ROX.

ton

#80 Post by ton »

I typed smbmount unfortunatelly, it says

smbmount : command not found. ????

What should I do??
I just installed puppy linux in virtual pc, windows 7.
Havent installed dev.sfs because i can't share folders.
So, i dont know how to access my host pc.

thanks for help

gcmartin

#81 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Ton
The "smbmount" command is not included in all PUPs. In most every PUP, the "mount" command replaces smbmount. As such, you must use the mount command as follows:

Code: Select all

mount -t cifs //VMhost-servername/resource-name   /your-mount-point
This post by you could be posted to Puppy's VirtualBox/Virtual PC thread. There, the members should explain how to setup a "Bridge" so that your VM Client can see either your real LAN or the VM host for sharing (these are 2 different setups).

Hope this helps

rufwoof

#82 Post by rufwoof »

ton wrote:I just installed puppy linux in virtual pc, windows 7.
Havent installed dev.sfs because i can't share folders.
So, i dont know how to access my host pc.
I've Just installed Win XP SP3 (guest) in a Oracle VM Virtual Box (Slacko 5.5 host)

Installed Guest Additions and in machine settings there's a option to set up a shared folder.

Slacko on one desktop, XP on the other, and a common shared 'documents' directory.

Runs non graphic intensive apps fine (Excel, Word etc) under a AMD64 3500 with 1.5GB memory (750MB allocated to the XP virtual machine). And all fits on a single Slacko bootable DVD.

ton

#83 Post by ton »

both host & virtual pc (puppy) are already in the same network as shown here that i can ping the host.

[/img]
Attachments
puppy1.JPG
i cant mount share folder
(58.31 KiB) Downloaded 490 times

gcmartin

#84 Post by gcmartin »

@Ton

I don't have or run VirtualPC, but this might help.

ton

#85 Post by ton »

both host & virtual pc (puppy) are already in the same network as shown here that i can ping the host.

Attachments
puppy1.JPG
(32.74 KiB) Downloaded 669 times

fudoki

Partition planning the easiest by far...

#86 Post by fudoki »

Nowadays hard drives are, simply, VAST in size.

On any drive I set up I create a FAT32 partition, usually about 1/4 of the drive capacity. I call this a "pivot partition", since it can be read by most any OS or program.

Data that need be accessed in Linux and Windows is stored on this FAT32 drive, allowing both OS's "native" access to files of any type.

Regardless the OS, the files are "normalised" when saved to the FAT32 format. The resident OS will "make the adjustment" when reading in the data, and read it back to FAT32 faithfully. After using this approach for several years I have not had any problems with any file types.

The info in the preceeding posts is excellent, and covers so many specific cases so well - but in a great many cases simply having a FAT32 partition will address most of your sharing needs on hard drives, and USB sticks.

Best of all, the FAT32 partition/files are impossible to detect while in use on whatever flavour of OS you happen to be using at that moment. All the conversions are performed low level and invisibly.

One last thing: Although it is possible to use FAT32 for your Linux boot partition, I would advise against doing so. Any Linux partition format is much more secure than FAT32 in terms of the malware running around the Net these days. A data integrity program on your Linux partition can easily verify the safety of files on your FAT32 partition in the background.

Finally, for anything requiring positive security, only store on Linux partitions using the customary steps and precautions. FAT32 is still a Windows "standard" and intruder-bait; keep sensitive data in Linux and access using techniques explained in the preceeding messages...

fudoki

gcmartin

#87 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Fudoki

One item you share could probably use a little more insight. It is:
Fudoki wrote:Finally, for anything requiring positive security, only store on Linux partitions using the customary steps and precautions. FAT32 is still a Windows "standard" and intruder-bait; keep sensitive data in Linux and access using techniques explained in the preceeding messages...
Not sure if you really meant this.

Intrusion is NOT at a file system level. It occurs when something uses your Operating System (not your filesystem) to access your data. The filesystems cannot and do not, on their own, do anything which exposes anyone.

The primary differences in filesystems are key in system operations for data access and data protection for recovery.

You may want to review what viruses, assuming that what you're addressing, actually do and infect.

Hope this helps a little

doblen

#88 Post by doblen »

You can also check this link http://www.vpnfaqs.com/2015/01/share-fi ... d-windows/ to get how to share files between Windows an Linux step by step.

gcmartin

#89 Post by gcmartin »

Many PUP distros are sharing this way with ALL LAN OSes AND units which use the smb protocols (use prevalently by Apple & Microsoft & vendors including all PUPs with their OOTB client subsystems).

If anyone has any of the PUPs on this page, the instructions to share is there.