How can I change double click speed?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Kenneth Gundry

#16 Post by Kenneth Gundry »

Oh, computers make me, a mere electronics engineer, feel so stupid! I downloaded and installed the pup files for xfce4 and xinitrc (finding the "real" xfce4 was not available because of a server crash, but the simple one was accessible). I found, as someone else had too, that in fact at the command prompt it was necessary to enter xwin xfwm4, not xwin xfce4, and a desktop then appeared on screen. However, it was only the top left quarter of the desktop content (therefore not including the start button) and everything was blown up hugely.. Right-clicking gave me options for ROX but nothing on the basic display. I played for a while to find a way to correct the display and gave up. Fortunately xwin jwm went back to my normal satisfactory display, and since I am using a multisession CDRW, I could choose not to save, so that at the next reboot I was/am back where I was.

How do I make xfce4 work? None of the items on the forum seems to address this problem.

Kenneth Gundry

kwiller

Mousekeys

#17 Post by kwiller »

Having further investigated the problem I'm not even sure that xfce would be any better than jwm in providing a solution to the too-fast-double-click case. At this point I'd just like to declare a personal interest in finding a solution, as I suffer from Parkinson's disease and have recently been finding increased difficulty in using the mouse.

The solution I've only just adopted may be of interest to you - the use of mousekeys. The X windowing system permits the binding of mouse movements and events to the keyboard - including the button double-click.

There is also a small utility, accessx, that allows you to turn the bindings on and off. I've attached an archive to this post that provides AccessX and can be installed as an Alien Package. This package also provides a file .Xmodmap which contains the key mappings I use for mouse click events. The keycodes may be different depending on your keyboard layout, but you can use the xev utility to dicover each key's number.

My keyboard has a UK layout and my mapping uses the keypad "/", "*", "-" for single clicks, and the "SysRq", "Scroll-Lock", "Break", for double-clicks.

Mouse movement is, by default, mapped to the keypad numeric keys.
Attachments
accessx.tar.gz
Utility that sets and displays the XKEYBOARD (XKB) AccessX features.
(14.65 KiB) Downloaded 441 times

ecomoney

#18 Post by ecomoney »

Ive been using puppy for five years, and still not found the setting for the double click speed! :oops: Ive noticed a lot of new users find the fast double click speed difficult too. Any suggestions?
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

amj

#19 Post by amj »

The 'Index of resources for Beginners' directs people to this thread - but there is no answer here.

The double click speed Puppy requires from the user needs to be made adjustable.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#20 Post by Flash »

See here for a solution

npierce

#21 Post by npierce »

Editing /root/.gtkrc-2.0, as described in the HOWTO that Flash suggested above, is the correct way to do this. That file is the place provided by GTK for users to make general customizations (such as gtk-double-click-time) for their GTK applications.

Unfortunately, the correct way may not work for everyone. There is one additional thing that needs to be taken into consideration for anyone who uses a GTK theme changer:

Some theme changers seem to think that they have the exclusive right to modify this file, not you. When they change the theme they do not politely edit this file, they blow it away! So if you add your customizations to this file (which is exactly what it was designed for) you may awaken one morning to find that the bulldozers have come.

If you are lucky, when you go to edit the file you will see that the theme changer has planted its flag and warned you away with a "DO NOT EDIT" message. If you are luckier still, you will note that the theme changer has added an include command to load another file where your customizations are expected to live now that they have been evicted from .gtkrc-2.0.

The easiest thing to do is to just pack your things and go. Place your customizations in the other file. And you must then swear loyalty to the theme changer that evicted you. If you should ever use another theme changer or other utility that blows away .gtkrc-2.0, your customizations may be out in the cold again if the new landlord of .gtkrc-2.0 doesn't make the same provisions for loading another file, or has decided that it wants to load a file with a different name. (For instance, gtk-chtheme loads "/root/.gtkrc.mine", but lxappearance loads "/root/.gtkrc-2.0.mine".)

Alternatively you could banish the unsociable theme changers from your system, or just use them for examining themes while staying away from their "Apply" or "OK" buttons, and edit .gtkrc-2.0 manually.

:)

jimbo66

double click speed

#22 Post by jimbo66 »

I realise this is a bit late in the day(2016!) but this might help another newbie like me (tahr 6.0.2 upgraded to 6.0.5), the double click speed setting is in:

/root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal

<!-- Double click speed (in milliseconds) -->
<DoubleClickSpeed>400</DoubleClickSpeed>

jimbo66

how can I change double click speed

#23 Post by jimbo66 »

ps.
You have to restart window manager for the change to take effect:
menu/exit/"Restart window manager"
Last edited by jimbo66 on Sun 10 Jan 2016, 23:15, edited 4 times in total.