EZpup-2.1.7R2 now available!

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
WhoDo

EZpup-2.1.7R2 now available!

#1 Post by WhoDo »

I have just uploaded a new version of EZpup ... 2.1.7R2 ... to compliment the recent release of Puppy 2.17 and to maintain compatability with that release.

EZpup now also contains MU's 3DCC for great effects like window shadows, transparency, etc and is accompanied by an updated xcompmgr-1.1.3 that avoids prior problems with PETget.

Since the new package includes new libary files, you are strongly encouraged to reboot after installing. It is also recommended that any sfs unions be made before installing EZpup, just in case.

PkaG and MU will post mirror links as soon as those are available.

Enjoy!

[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Getnikar

#2 Post by Getnikar »

Gimme a clue: I am too

old
stupid
lazy

to find the url. :lol:

Previously known as Guest

#3 Post by Previously known as Guest »

MU

#4 Post by MU »

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Ezpup on developers blog.

#5 Post by Lobster »

:D Now we are cooking
Barry has mentioned Ezpup on his developers blog.
http://www.puppylinux.com/news/index.php

I was creating a new Linux Tmxxine yesterday. Comprising of 2.17 + Ezpup with sfs; Open Office plus all the best progs.
For me it is the icing on the cake. Puppy 2.17 + Ezpup 2.17R2 + sfs
After 4 attempted compiles using Dougals script and only one success I decided I might wait till Puppy 2.18 . . . I think the problem is somehow related to lack of memory (I have 512MB ram - should be enough) on the hard disk

This however is an inspiration :) I wonder if there will be an Ezpup 2.18 :)
Onward and upward

Thanks Warren and our server hosts :)
Last edited by Lobster on Mon 23 Jul 2007, 23:35, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

dasch

It works !

#6 Post by dasch »

Hi Whodo,

Never really did pinpoint what when wrong the last time... but anyhow got this latest ezpup working...didn't really have time to mess around much so here's the steps which lead to this install

1) boot the latest puppy 2.17 (ie frugal install)
2) had an initial pupsave of only 32mb... so did a resizing +256mb to a 288mb
3) didn't know about this release, so installed the earlier ezpup 2.17 from my-applications folder...installed ok except that it hung at the pet checking dependencies.... so after more than 5 mins just restarted x...everyting seemed in order except that package not registered in petget manager
4) browsed puppyforum to report success...saw the new ezpup...downloaded and installed as before....SUCCESS ! and package installs, no hang and is registered with petget manager.

Mucho gracias

WhoDo

Re: It works !

#7 Post by WhoDo »

dasch wrote: ...saw the new ezpup...downloaded and installed as before....SUCCESS ! and package installs, no hang and is registered with petget manager.

Mucho gracias
Denada! (sp?) I'm glad you were successful, dasch. Hope you enjoy all the new goodies at your disposal. :P
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

jweck

#8 Post by jweck »

Thanks WhoDo, that's defin. pimps my Puppy. Could you please tell me how to add the mixer to the taskbar as an Icon? I would love to add the mixer and a mrxvt shortcut there.

jweck

#9 Post by jweck »

I solved my problem, by adding the corresponding prog entry to the quicklaunch config file.

mattst8ler

EZpup-2.1.7r2

#10 Post by mattst8ler »

I just did a fresh frugal install of 2.17 "dancer" and followed it up with the latest EZpup. I'm having a few issues that maybe you can explain:

1. All of my icons are missing, and have been replaced by what appears to be a "placeholder" type of icon.

2. Did you get rid of the cursor selection tool that was in the previous version?

3. The Blinky taskbar icon retains a white background instead of one that matches the taskbar itself.

Any ideas? Previous versions of this program have been great, and I have enjoyed "pimping" my puppy!

Thanks.

Komodo

#11 Post by Komodo »

I just want to thank you for expending the time and effort to create this for us. It transforms an already nice Puppy 2.17 into the deluxe edition.

Very well done!
:D

WhoDo

Re: EZpup-2.1.7r2

#12 Post by WhoDo »

mattst8ler wrote:1. All of my icons are missing, and have been replaced by what appears to be a "placeholder" type of icon.
Sounds like a problem with the globicons file that normally resides at /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer. You can copy the globicons file from /root/Choices/ROX-Filer and restart IceWM.
mattst8ler wrote:2. Did you get rid of the cursor selection tool that was in the previous version?
Nope. Sounds like your EZpup didn't install properly. Did you do an md5sum on the dotpet? Did you wait until PETget said the install was completed? Just asking, not accusing.
mattst8ler wrote:3. The Blinky taskbar icon retains a white background instead of one that matches the taskbar itself.
Yep, mine does that now too. Don't know why because the settings haven't been changed. I have resorted to replacing

Code: Select all

-bg ""
with

-bg "#389389" 
in the preferences file at /root/.icewm/preferences

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#13 Post by Lobster »

The nvidia button in 3DCC (maybe I should contact MU) does not seem to work. I am sure it did in earlier versions of the program.

Any advice welcome
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

WhoDo

#14 Post by WhoDo »

Lobster wrote:The nvidia button in 3DCC (maybe I should contact MU) does not seem to work. I am sure it did in earlier versions of the program.

Any advice welcome
I think that's something to do with there currently being no Nvidia drivers for Puppy 2.17, or so I'm led to believe.

Wolf Pup

#15 Post by Wolf Pup »

EZpup-2.1.7R2 doesn't work with 2.16, just a blank desktop appears, and theres no wallpaper on background.

EDIT:
EZpup works now by adding

rox -p=/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
to /usr/sbin/delayedrun
[img]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8595/ubd6467dp2.png[/img]
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/54tu74]Visit The Repository[/url] - Helpful and hard-to-find treats for Puppy 3.
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/c5a68f]Click Here for Puppy Support Chat, + Helpful Links.[/url]

WhoDo

#16 Post by WhoDo »

Wolf Pup wrote:EZpup-2.1.7R2 doesn't work with 2.16, just a blank desktop appears, and theres no wallpaper on background.

EDIT:
EZpup works now by adding

rox -p=/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
to /usr/sbin/delayedrun
Interesting!?!? I've tested EZpup-2.1.7R2 with both 2.16 and 2.17 (not 2.17.1, yet) and it works fine on a Pentium M 1.73GHz laptop and a Celeron 1GHz desktop through several test installs and removals. Maybe this is only a problem with really fast machines? I'll consider adding your fix to the next version, just in case.

Thanks.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#17 Post by Lobster »

not 2.17.1, yet
:oops: Not tested? :oops:

Nobody tells me :roll:
I am using it in Prism (based on 2.17.1rc) :D

Once running looks OK
http://tmxxine.com/Wikka/wikka.php?wakka=RainbowPrism
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

WhoDo

#18 Post by WhoDo »

Lobster wrote:
not 2.17.1, yet
:oops: Not tested? :oops:

Nobody tells me :roll:
I am using it in Prism (based on 2.17.1rc) :D
I guess that's why it's called the "bleeding edge"! :P You're alright because your time machine (Tmxxine) can go back and correct any mistakes before they happen, can't it? 8)

moebigsley

It was working...

#19 Post by moebigsley »

Well, I had puppy 2.16 and EZpup working great. However, I am a sucker for the latest and greatest and so I backed everything up and upgraded to 2.17.1

More accurately, I wiped my drive and installed 2.17.1 fresh.

I downloaded the EZpup-2.1.7R2 pet package and attempted to install it.

However, I am confronted with the following error:

The EZpup-2.1.7R2-2.pet package has been downloaded to /root/.packages,
however there is not enough room to uncompress and install it.
The free space is 59525 blocks but it is estimated you will
need 149240 blocks temporarily for the expansion and install.

Note: If you are using a pup_save.3fs personal storage file,
it can be made bigger -- see Utilities menu.

This script will now delete the package and exit...

This is a fresh 2.17.1 install on a 1GB usb drive. Other Pet packages seem to work without an error. This machine has 512 MB ram and I am using a 256 MB pup_save. There are gobs of free space and plenty of free ram.

I appreciate any advice you can give. The stock puppy is a little hard on the eyes.

WhoDo

Re: It was working...

#20 Post by WhoDo »

moebigsley wrote:This is a fresh 2.17.1 install on a 1GB usb drive. Other Pet packages seem to work without an error. This machine has 512 MB ram and I am using a 256 MB pup_save. There are gobs of free space and plenty of free ram.

I appreciate any advice you can give. The stock puppy is a little hard on the eyes.
Although only 15Mb in dotpet format, EZpup can expand to over 70Mb or more. 256Mb pup_save sounds a little tight to me, since the expansion will take place in your similarly sized ram drive and could need 140Mb or more.

If you have a hard drive, you could use pet2tgz to expand the dotpet and then simply extract it to where you want. It won't register with PETget but it will expand that way. Don't forget to reboot though.

Hope that helps