Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 20 Apr 2014, 12:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Congrats!
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
macadavy

PostPosted: Thu 06 Sep 2007, 14:28    Post subject:  Congrats!  

Congrats, TazOC, on the best Puppy yet IMHO!
Just a coupla minor glitches to report so far:
Running Shanghai Solitaire mahjongg game comes close to smoking my CPU. The culprit seems to be something called wish8.5 (usr/bin/wish8.5) which fires up two instances and kicks Xorg into overdrive: the CPU is maxed out at 100%!
The only other problem, again minor, is that audio streams (e.g. [url]<a href="http://www.radioparadise.com"> RadioParadise</a>[/url]) stutter in Xmms when scrolling in web pages, also with Gxine, but not when played in RealPlayer10 - go figure!
That's it! This is one very polished beta, at this rate v1 will approach perfection! Certainly its head & shoulders above a certain other WAboy who foists his beta-testing on an unsuspecting public and overcharges them for their pains. Wink
All Puppy is cake - but you've really put the icing on that cake!
To do list:
try out K3B (intigrate .sfs's in remaster?)
install & configure CUPS printing
download & install nVidia drivers & try out 3D
sys specs:
Lighthouse Puppy v2.15Sea_Mbeta4 + v2K3B & Mariner .sfs; Intel PIII 450mhz (o.c. to 600mhz); 512 Mb SDRAM; VIA ApolloPro130x mobo; C-Media CM8738 sndcd; Macronix MX987x5 LANcd; nVidia NV17 [GeForce4 MX 440] vidcd; 52x LG CD-R; 44x Yamaha CD-RW; 2x40G Samsung RAID HDs; 2.36G swap.
(Anyone know if there's a Puppy HW database where the above info can be posted for all to see? Feel free to copy & paste if such exists.)
I reckon the highest praise one can offer any developer is this: "It just works!" This is the best combination of beauty & utility I've ever seen.
btw - Since there's no PayPal link on your Lighthouse site (hint, hint!) I've taken the liberty of sending Barry K. a USD 25 contribution and I invite all Puppy lovers to match or better it... throw that dog a bone!
scrn2.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  scrn2.png 
Filesize  165.75 KB 
Downloaded  766 Time(s) 
scrn1.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  scrn1.png 
Filesize  135.65 KB 
Downloaded  747 Time(s) 

Last edited by macadavy on Fri 07 Sep 2007, 05:00; edited 2 times in total
macadavy

PostPosted: Thu 06 Sep 2007, 14:41    Post subject: Ooops!  

Meant to post the above as a reply in the Lighthouse thread - could an admin pls move it there? Embarassed
muggins

PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep 2007, 04:30    Post subject:  

hi macadavy,

regarding the cpu usage with shanghai, until your post i've never even looked, but i just ran it & confirmed your experience. as an alternative i checked xmahjongg & it puts only a small load on the cpu. if you wanted to try out xmahjongg it's available in this games2.zip package:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?mode=attach&id=2881
macadavy

PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep 2007, 04:58    Post subject: Xmahjongg  

Thanks muggins! I'm familiar with xmahjonng & went looking for it in the dotpups, but no luck. How does one handle the .zip file? Simply unzip & voila it's installed like a dotpup? When I clicked on your link the download dialogue asked if I wanted to open it with Pupzip.
paulh177

PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep 2007, 05:45    Post subject:  

Quote:
Running Shanghai Solitaire mahjongg game comes close to smoking my CPU
there's a basic problem with that program -- i tried the windoze version and it takes 50% cpu time too!
muggins

PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep 2007, 05:56    Post subject:  

i'd forgotten how i'd packaged them & had to download & unzip them to see. basically all 6 games are in the form of self-extracting executables, without any menu entries, so you can extract them, and run them from wherever you want. but it's probably better to extract them to /tmp directory, click on them to see which you want to keep, then move the ones you want to retain to /usr/bin. then you would start xmahjongg by typing xmahjongg in an rxvt console, or dragging onto desktop. (you'd have to look around for a suitable icon for it, or you could do why i did. start xmahjongg, to a screencapture with mtpaint, then scale the screencapsule to just one tile, and save that as /usr/share/icons/xmahjongg.xpm & use that).

and you can easily modify the /usr/share/applications/shanghai.desktop file to fit xmahjongg, then run fixmenus & it will be in the menu.

hope that all makes sense.
tazoc

PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep 2007, 23:20    Post subject: xmahjongg may already be in beta 4, but missing in menus  

Same problem with Shanghai on my machine; 100% CPU. As muggins suggested I've replaced it with xmahjongg, including a .desktop file so that it will be in the menus for Lighthouse 215 beta 5.

I think xmahjongg may already be in beta 4, though it isn't in the menus. In Rox-Filer navigate to /usr/local/games and click on xmahjongg. You can drag and drop xmahjongg onto the desktop. The icon I used for both games is at /usr/share/icons/kmahjongg.png.
-TazOC

macadavy

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep 2007, 12:35    Post subject: Re: xmahjongg may already be in beta 4, but missing in menus  

Quote:
I think xmahjongg may already be in beta 4, though it isn't in the menus.
-TazOC

Indeed it is - thanks TazOC! There's also a dotpup 'Ace of Penguins' that includes (among other games) a mahjong-like game called 'Taipei'.

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: