Usabaility: Make UI less busy

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
flavour

#16 Post by flavour »

Great :)

For the intial LiveCD, then uninstalling a package could never save diskspace/RAM...but maybe could still reduce clutter in menus.

How about having a mini-version of Unleashed on the base .iso, which isn't part of usr_cram.fs, so doesn't get loaded into RAM but can be easily installed without having to connect to the 'net.

This way the initial RAM-installed version really is absolutely minimal, yet the wider range of apps are only a click away...

I still think the base OS is best with just 1 of each type of app: calculators, file managers, paint, archivers, text editors, etc...
These can then be highly integrated to give a high level of polish & usability.

F

flavour

#17 Post by flavour »

ok, some screenshots here:
http://partyvibe.com/flavour/

I accept charges of making it even more Windows-like, but that's already the theme & I'm happy to stick with it.

One way to reduce the number of icons in 'Control Panel' (which has the old 'Setup' in as well) is to take further the 'Wizard Wizard' -> i.e. have several icons available from a single panel applet.
Another 2 obvious candidates for this are 'Display' (to include Gxset, GTKtheme, Desktop image, Desktop colour) & 'System Information' (to include top, kp, xproc, usbview)
NB This isn't a 2nd level of menu, which I agree can be unwieldy.

F