HOWTO install Java the hard way

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
AlkiDweller

Now ain't that a fine how do you do?

#31 Post by AlkiDweller »

Brand new to linux, as of yesterday. Installation of Racy was a snap. Just trying to get some extended life out of an old Fujitsu laptop so someone at work can take it home and access work stuff, and that requires JRE. Running XP on that thing is painful.

First set of instructions didn't work and the second set of instructions hosed Seamonkey. No web access to anything. "Address Not Found" for everything. IP, DNS and DHCP setting are all accurate.

Installing Racy to the hard disk took all of about 15 minutes and at this point it looks like that would be the quickest option just to get Seamonkey back.

Monsie

HOWTO install Java the hard way

#32 Post by Monsie »

Hi AlkiDweller,

This thread might still be useful, but it is rather out of date now.

There are currently two maintainers of Java Packages for Puppy that I know of: shinobar and TheAsterisk! Probably the easiest way for you to get Java runtime installed is to visit this thread instead and download the Pet package put together by TheAsterisk! You'll see the .pet file in the first post.
Once downloaded, locate the Pet package, click on it, and the installation should go smoothly... after this, you should be good to go...

Monsie

P.S. Welcome to Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :)
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.