HOWTO install Java the hard way

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
edoc

#16 Post by edoc »

Before I do this I feel it is wise for me to ask ...

Is there anything about Seamonkey 1.1.13 (I did the upgrade from the stock 1.1.11) in a Puppy 4.11-Normal ext3 formatted Frugal install on a laptop that might cause these instructions to not apply (or need to be modified), please?

I always seem to have one or more variables unaccounted for which send(s) me off into an open-loop of confusion ... :roll:
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Sit Heel Speak

#17 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Don't follow the above procedure, it is out of date. Instead follow the instructions below.
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Wed 11 Feb 2009, 08:02, edited 1 time in total.

Sit Heel Speak

#18 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

How to install Java Version 6 Update 11 on Puppy 4.11 for Seamonkey, as of December 18 2008. This also makes JavaScript available to Open Office.

1. Open ROX-Filer, up-arrow, usr, and see if folder /usr/java exists. If it doesn't create it:

Code: Select all

mkdir /usr/java
2. Surf to www.sun.com and click the "Java" icon under the "Downloads" bar. When the "Java" button enlarges click "Download".
This takes me to http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp.

3. Click the "Free Java Download" button.

4. In the "Linux (self-extracting file) filesize: 19.23 MB" row, left-click "Linux (self-extracting file)" then "Save it to disk" and save it to /usr/java. On my 512 mbps ADSL connection the download, monitored by Download Manager, takes about 9 minutes.

5. Open in ROX-Filer /usr/java and right-click the icon of jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin, File 'jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin', slide mouse to right onto submenu, left-click on Permissions, left-click Yes to change permissions and make executeable.

6. Right-click-in-whitespace in the /usr/java ROX-Filer window, Window-->Terminal here.
Execute the installer:

./jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin
7. You will now see the License Agreement. Keep pressing Enter (or R) until you see
Do you agree to the above license terms? [yes or no]
Type "yes" (without quotes) then press Enter.
The binary unpacks to a subdir /usr/java/jre1.6.0_11

8. Issue

cd /usr/lib/seamonkey/plugins
rm libjavaplugin_oji.so
ln -s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_11/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so
cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
rm libjavaplugin_oji.so
ln -s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_11/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so
cd /root/.mozilla/plugins/java
rm libjavaplugin_oji.so
(actually, I'm not sure if all three of the above are required. Does anyone know which one(s) is/are necessary?)

9. In Seamonkey, Edit-->Preferences-->Advanced (click on the +)-->Scripts and Plugins
Check Enable JavaScript for Navigator and for Mail & Newsgroups,
click Advanced (the word Advanced) and check Enable Java.
Close Seamonkey.
Reboot the computer.

10. Restart Seamonkey.
Surf to www.sun.com, Java under Downloads, "Download", "Do I Have Java?", and you should see the
"Congratulations!
You have the recommended Java installed (Version 6 Update 11)."
notification.

11. Done.
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Thu 13 Aug 2009, 08:52, edited 3 times in total.

nayi_mari

#19 Post by nayi_mari »

Thanks, SitHeelSpeak, for the very detailed HOWTO for installing Java. Unfortunately, I ran into the following error while executing the installer (step 6):

inflating: jre-6u11-linux-i586.rpm  
rpm: invalid option -- v
BusyBox v1.8.2 (2007-11-30 09:20:42 GMT-8) multi-call binary

Usage: rpm -i -q[ildc]p package.rpm

Manipulate RPM packages

Options:
        -i      Install package
        -q      Query package
        -p      Query uninstalled package
        -i      Show information
        -l      List contents
        -d      List documents
        -c      List config files

Done.
So a .rpm file is being created, but the -v option is not recognized by puppy's 'rpm' command. I suing the rpm command manually, but had the following error:

sh-3.00# mkdir /usr/java
sh-3.00# rpm -i jre-6u11-linux-i586.rpm 
rpm: cannot make dir ./etc: File exists
rpm: cannot make dir ./etc/.java: File exists
rpm: cannot make dir ./etc/.java/.systemPrefs: File exists
rpm: cannot make dir ./usr: File exists
rpm: cannot make dir ./usr/java: File exists
95127 blocks
sh-3.00# /usr/java/jre1.6.0_11/bin/java
Error occurred during initialization of VM
java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object
so there's something going wrong with the installation. Could the problem be with Puppy's rpm command? I would appreciate any help in this regard, since Java is very important for me.
Cheers,
NM

Sit Heel Speak

#20 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

nayi_mari wrote:inflating: jre-6u11-linux-i586.rpm
You don't want the 18.6 MB .rpm file, instead you want the 19.23 MB self-extracting (.bin) file immediately underneath the .rpm file. I erroneously wrote it was 19.18 MB in my instructions above. Corrected.

moncha

#21 Post by moncha »

The file on Sun's site changed. I had to modify the code from:

to:

ln -s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_12/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so

moncha

#22 Post by moncha »

For Firefox 3.03, after executing the installer, the code I used was:

cd /usr/lib/firefox/plugins 
ln -s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_12/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so 
Then I enabled Java in the Firefox Toolbar: Edit>Preferences>Content.

darwinev0lved

firefox 3.6 - needs different symlink

#23 Post by darwinev0lved »

OK this is more of an FYI for me - just so I've got it written down somewhere.

/opt/java/jre1.6.0_20/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so

is the file that needs symlinking to

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

nickdobrinich

Java on Firefox 3.6.3

#24 Post by nickdobrinich »

Even Sun's Java site was unaware of the correct linking.
I found that (2) symlinks into Firefox plugins are now necessary.

Make symbolic links into /lib/firefox/plugins from:
/usr/java/jre1.6.0_20/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
AND
/usr/java/jre1.6.0_20/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so

Check that the Java plugin loaded in Firefox at: about:plugins

lisek

#25 Post by lisek »

For FireFox:
Make symbolic links into /lib/firefox/plugins from:
/usr/java/jre1.6.0_20/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
AND
/usr/java/jre1.6.0_20/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so
that's right.
small correction: "Make symbolic links into usr/lib/firefox/plugins...."

postfs1

#26 Post by postfs1 »

To reedit up to date.
Last edited by postfs1 on Sun 27 Mar 2016, 23:06, edited 4 times in total.

elpablo243

Java Installation Error

#27 Post by elpablo243 »

I followed ROX back through /usr/local/bin/jre1.6.0_02/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so and manually changed the link to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugins_oji.so where the faulty symbolic link was. this changed the icon to look like the others so i assume its working now, but when i asked java if it was installed it still said "error." the run action for this newly changed symbolic link is "$@" and i dont know if that is how it should be, its just what was made.

help!

elpablo243

Java Installation Error

#28 Post by elpablo243 »

In the SeaMonkey browser i clicked help>about plugins and it lists "Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_26-b03" at the very top, and it says it is completely enabled. however the Java website still claims that java is not working properly, and the site that i need java for is not loading, even though the bar at the bottom says "done"

why?!

thank you

banger0250

firefox java manually

#29 Post by banger0250 »

Go here and get the linux self extracting binary. And follow the instructions to install and run the self extractor.

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/linux_install.xml

Ok firsly locate your firefox/plugins DIR, and the java lib directory, my java was in /usr/java/jre1.6.0_29/lib/i386/.

if u are upgrading java remove the old symbolic link first.
To remove old symbolic link:
type cd <Firefox installation directory>/plugins
rm libjavaplugin_oji.so

Then the most important part is linking the java executable to the firefox plugin directory. My plugins DIR is at /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/ . You may have to google it or search for the directory if u installed firefox a different way. Just open up two instances of ROXfiler drag across the file to link and select symlink in RoXfiler.
Taking pup for a walk

banger0250

#30 Post by banger0250 »

I installed puppy with the pre-installed seamonkey and still found linking the same file to the mozilla plugins folder worked.
RECAP:
ln -s /usr/bin/jre1.6.0-29/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

CORRECT ME IF THATS WRONG
Taking pup for a walk

AlkiDweller

Now ain't that a fine how do you do?

#31 Post by AlkiDweller »

Brand new to linux, as of yesterday. Installation of Racy was a snap. Just trying to get some extended life out of an old Fujitsu laptop so someone at work can take it home and access work stuff, and that requires JRE. Running XP on that thing is painful.

First set of instructions didn't work and the second set of instructions hosed Seamonkey. No web access to anything. "Address Not Found" for everything. IP, DNS and DHCP setting are all accurate.

Installing Racy to the hard disk took all of about 15 minutes and at this point it looks like that would be the quickest option just to get Seamonkey back.

Monsie

HOWTO install Java the hard way

#32 Post by Monsie »

Hi AlkiDweller,

This thread might still be useful, but it is rather out of date now.

There are currently two maintainers of Java Packages for Puppy that I know of: shinobar and TheAsterisk! Probably the easiest way for you to get Java runtime installed is to visit this thread instead and download the Pet package put together by TheAsterisk! You'll see the .pet file in the first post.
Once downloaded, locate the Pet package, click on it, and the installation should go smoothly... after this, you should be good to go...

Monsie

P.S. Welcome to Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :)
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.