2.20 Alpha "Happy"

Please post any bugs you have found
HairyWill

Re: problem with Xorg

#16 Post by HairyWill »

Flash wrote:I guessed it was something to do with jpeg compression but didn't investigate any farther.
I don't think that's it as I was working with png (lossless)
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

Robb

Re: 2.20 Alpha "Happy"

#17 Post by Robb »

Fox7777 wrote:On all computers we tried, desktop or laptop, we got the following error message during bootup:

Loading the 'pup_220.sfs' main puppy file...
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

Thanks, http://www.Linux-Now.us
I had the same problem - it may have been picking up an old save file. I fixed it by reformatting the partition to which puppy was to be installed (full HDD install)

check the HDD and any other attached media for old .sfs files first. There is a workaround posted here somewhere.

andrei

#18 Post by andrei »

Acrobat reader 7.0 would not start, giving the endless error message "expr: syntax error"
This is corrected by editing the shell script which launches acroread. You can find the location of this script by typing:

which acroread

You have to comment line 644:

check_gtk_ver_and_set_lib_path "$MIN_GTK_VERSION" ### returns 0 if found gtk >= 2.4

"Comment" means putting # in front of the line, so it becomes:

# check_gtk_ver_and_set_lib_path "$MIN_GTK_VERSION" ### returns 0 if found gtk >= 2.4

After this acroread works.

andrei

#19 Post by andrei »

Concerning fuzzy image. Instead of manually tuning pixel clock and phase, it turns out that Dell monitor has a button "Auto Adjust" which does tuning automatically. It adjusts both position and sharpness, and it seems to me that it does even better than what I was able to achieve by adjusting manually.
The monitor analyzes the video signal which Puppy sends to it, and automatically adjusts to it!

andrei

#20 Post by andrei »

also, zdrv_220.sfs does not load when running from the USB...

burggraf2

Please update Pfind from 2.2 to 2.4

#21 Post by burggraf2 »

I just discovered Pfind included with 2.1.7. It rocks, but the 2.2 version is buggy.

There's a 2.4 pet available that fixes the bugs. Please be sure to move the newer version into Happy.

Thanks.

yangmusa

GTK theme chooser bug on 2.20 alpha

#22 Post by yangmusa »

I haven't installed 2.20 yet, I've been running it using Q (kju emulator for Mac).

Last night I tried to change the gtk theme, selected a theme and clicked ok. The theme chooser window closed, but then Puppy kept opening windows saying something like "gtk info" - I don't remember exactly what the window title was, and the content never loaded - I just shut down the virtual machine because more and more of these windows kept opening...

(If necessary, I can try to reproduce. Puppy runs very slowly in Q though..)

andrei

#23 Post by andrei »

When booting with the parameter layerfs=unionfs
I once got the message at the end of the shutdown:
Segmentation fault busybox umount -ar >/dev/null 2>&1

madplay complains:
madplay: Symbol `id3_build' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking

gxine does not start:
gxine: error while loading shared libraries: libmozjs.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Gill_Baits

#24 Post by Gill_Baits »

!
Last edited by Gill_Baits on Sat 05 Dec 2009, 08:05, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#25 Post by BarryK »

Gill_Baits,
Could you try the attached. Download somewhere, open a terminal, expand:
# tar -zxf usr-lib-gconv.tar.gz
then copy the files to /usr/lib/gconv
...see if that fixes it. The gconv directory is cutdown in 2.20alpha. I have have selected what seems like the files that will fix your problem.
Attachments
usr-lib-gconv.tar.gz
(27.8 KiB) Downloaded 508 times

Gill_Baits

LinNeighborhood error message

#26 Post by Gill_Baits »

Thanks Barry that fixed it

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#27 Post by Flash »

Skype static 1.4 (downloaded from the Skype website) works fine in Puppy 2.17, but not in 2.20 alpha. While I can hear the other person, my microphone doesn't seem to work. I tried changing everything I could find in alsamixer and the Puppy mixer, and even tried a different sound card, but the microphone just won't make a peep.

GeorgR

Booting stopped at "puppyserialdetect is running"

#28 Post by GeorgR »

1) AMD 690G (ASUS M2A-VM)
Booting puppy 220a from cd on this computer ends whith:
"puppyserialdetect is running"

When typing CTRL C I can continue with the xwizzard, but usb keybord and mouse is then not working properly.

To be fair with the 220a version: booting this computer with 2171 the result is the same, but of course I was looking forward this problem to be solved with a newer version.

2) NVIDIA 6150 (ASUS M2NPV-VM)
I am very happy booting a Live CD on a computer with NVIDIA 6150 Chipset:
I can surf the Internet on my 1366*768 DVI LCD right out of the box!
Only for enabling sound I had still to open the alsamixer tool in a console session and "unmute" the SPDIF Channel.

Gill_Baits

Gxine crash

#29 Post by Gill_Baits »

I have the problem of Gxine crashing the system to the point where I need to type xwin to restart, this occures if I try to change any of the setting when playing any video media this includes mp3's with visualisation running, this appears to be a possible driver problem has I also had a monitor setting problem when I first ran 2.20 but managed to adjust them with a combination of xvidtune and the monitor controls