HP Deskjet 722c/Lexmark z52/53

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
KF6SNJ

HP Deskjet 722c/Lexmark z52/53

#1 Post by KF6SNJ »

As much as I love Puppy, I have one major gripe about 2.17, my printers don't work.

I have an HP Deskjet 722c, which works perfect on winXP. I also have a Lexmark z52 and a z53 printer as well. I can not configure the 722c to work at all. Nor will the z52 or the z53 (which both worked perfectly on 2.13) work at all. Any ideas on what it will take to get cups to recognize any or these printers so I can use them (short of a a rom reset, I tried that once, nearly fried the printer's rom)?

Help please????? :?:
Last edited by KF6SNJ on Sat 08 Sep 2007, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

KF6SNJ,

it certainly is a worry that linuxprinting.org lists all 3 of your printers as working perfectly with linux, & that the 2 lexmarks are in the list for the puppy printer wizard, (at least for 2.16), yet you're still unable to print.

i don't know if you've already installed cups, but pakt has a cups .pup that will "grab" the .ppd file for your printer, saved in /root directory, that would work for the hp printer, which has a .ppd file for dload. so:

1) dload to /root this:
http://openprinting.org/ppd-o-matic.cgi ... 22C&show=0

2) dload & install this(18Mbytes):

http://puppyfiles.org/dotpupsde/dotpups ... l-v0.3.pup

3) then follow the directions to add your hp printer to the cups server.

with the lexmarks, where do you get to installing either, or both, with the printer-wizard? the one place where most people get stuck is when xpdq runs, & you need to hover the mouse pointer over the location field for it to show you the possible options.

KF6SNJ

#3 Post by KF6SNJ »

Its not a case of getting hung up or anything like that. Everything in the setup goes fine, it just won't work. Indeed, I tried what was suggested (I had to use wget to get that cups file as it wouldn't download directly). Now I have a new problem, when I try to print something, abiword shuts down, and it still won't print.

KF6SNJ

#4 Post by KF6SNJ »

Finally, I found a way to get my Lexmark z52 printer to work (seems that the z53 was physically broken). What I did was really simple. I backed up my files to my external hard drive, then I reformatted my internal drive and installed digipup (derivative based up 2.14), then I turned around and upgraded to 2.17.1. Then I used the old print wizard and was able to configure my printer perfectly. As a bonus, I get several amateur radio software applications, including fldigi. I guess, for me, problem solved.