No Go with USB pen drive

Booting, installing, newbie
MayB

#31 Post by MayB »

Sorry! On a short look haven't seen anything about a switch (HUB?)

Bruce B
The subject I took was installing Puppy on memorystick. Technically in the beginning when I used the stick only for data I also formated in win2k as fat with no problems. Then i got a shareware program with not much functions, but as I remember, and they mentioned ist, the dosfloppy-boot as on cd's was made with syslinux (i tried it).
Then I got the HP utilities -as told- and used them.
There was a good technically reason which I have forgotten to format larger usbstiscks (surely 1GB) as FAT32.
Switch: My BIOS recognizes the drives different (I only guess Floppy and HDD). When choosing one of the plugged ones, it takes the other!

Well, most of us understand the syntax of syslinux and grub, we hardly do them without confusing, so I use the given.

Puppies installer discusses "the mbr" and that was for me the point. Frugal install is only copying files, inclusive syslinux, ldlinux etc...
I only became accustomed to use: syslinux /dev/sda1; sync at the end of the installation. Fine Syslinux never failed then anymore.

That's my experience!

Cheers

Sage

#32 Post by Sage »

switch : /s - system switch.

Well, the XP machine I have access to contains an MSI m/b. It is now telling me that my USB stick is "High Speed and you have no high speed USB ports". Really useful! I presume they mean USB 2.0. That's because MSI do not recommend their own BIOS upgrades because they can lead to permanent lost access. Wow, what sort of company is this. Besides which, XP is a damn nuisance with NTFS - it ignores stuff I set in BIOS. [But, then, so does Linux!!]. And I don't care for what is promised for BIOS in future, either.

We need to redefine progress: one step forward, you know the rest...