Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 22 Apr 2019, 04:17
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
How To Make ROX icon sets from icons you find elsewhere
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
distortedstar

PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug 2007, 15:09    Post subject:  How To Make ROX icon sets from icons you find elsewhere
Subject description: originally from http://productivelinux.com

Unfortunately, it’s difficult to find very many icon sets that are pre-packaged for the excellent Rox-Filer file manager. There’s hope though! It’s relatively easy to take any icon set you find from GNOME-look.org or other resources and convert them for use with ROX.

1) Find an icon theme you like, and unpack it somewhere you can work with it.

2) Find the folder labeled “Mimetypes,” and drag it to ~/.icons. Then rename it whatever you want.

3) Take a look in the default ROX folder in ~/.icons. Rename the files in ~/.icons/YOURFOLDER to reflect the naming scheme in ~/.icons/ROX.

There’s your new icon set! The whole process shouldn’t take more than 30 minutes. And, if you’re game and the icon license allows it, offer your folder online to save others a little time!

Notes: Make sure the icons are in .png format. If they’re not, they may not work and you may need to convert them to .png. The idea for this article and the original instructions were posted on the Puppy Linux Discussion Forums by Eyes-Only.

Eyes-Only

PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep 2007, 17:00    Post subject:  

BRAVO Distortedstar! Thank you! You did this far, far, better than I ever could. So once again: Thank you! This is going to help a LOT of people spruce up the eye-candy of their Puppies! Smile

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep 2007, 21:55    Post subject:  

If you have SVG installed, you can also use those. I think you just need to install these dotpups for that to work:
cairo-1.4.0svg.pup
libcroco-0.6.1.pup
librsvg-2.14.4.pup

Available here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=972217090&t=16623

tazoc

PostPosted: Sun 02 Sep 2007, 05:21    Post subject: ROX icon sets; toolbar  

Very nice, distortedstar, Eyes-Only and Pizzasgood! I've customized my Rox MIME icons before though I'm still not sure I understand how to create a new theme separate and distinct from the original ROX theme.

Can you clarify something? Did you include an edited version of index.theme file along with your new MIME icon folder? Is that required to allow icon theme switching in the Rox-Filer|Options|Types Menu?
Code:
[Icon Theme]
Name=ROX
Comment=Default ROX icon theme
Directories=MIME
Example=inode:directory

[MIME]
Size=48
Context=MimeTypes
Type=Fixed
Thank you in advance.

I've always wanted SVG support in Rox-Filer in Puppy but never managed to get it working.

If I might add a couple of tips here..., the default ROX folder is often a symlink to something like '/usr/local/apps/Rox-Filer/ROX' or '/root/my-roxapps/Rox-Filer/ROX' or possibly, '/usr/share/rox/ROX'.

With MU-GTK Theme Chooser, depending on the theme chosen, you can change SOME of the toolbar icons of Rox-Filer. The GTK-2 icons are located at /usr/share/themes/<theme name>/gtk-2.0/icons/48x48/ e.g., gtk_stock_quit.png, gtk_stock_go_up.png, gtk_stock_home.png... Icon names can vary by theme--see the gtkrc file inside the /usr/share/themes/.../gtk-2.0/ folder and scroll down looking for lines like this:
Code:
}
stock["gtk-home"] = {
    { "icons/48x48/gtk_stock_home.png" }
}

The OTHER toolbar icons and overlays, including the 'eyeball', symlink and mounted overlays seem to be 'Rox-Filer specific.' If you want to change those, first make a backup copy of the 'Rox-Filer/images' folder, e.g., '/usr/local/apps/Rox-Filer/images_orig'. Then experiment with replacements in /images. I wonder what that rox-xattr.png is? I think you'll find the others quite familiar Wink Anyway, apply a theme with MU-GTK Theme Chooser to see the new toolbar. I haven't found a way to theme these 'Rox specific' images. I just manually change out the images or tweak 'em with The GIMP until I'm happy.

I suppose it might be possible to make some of those images symlinks to carefully selected gtk-2.0/icons in /usr/share/themes... but I haven't tested that and I think there is a possibility of missing (or BLANK) icons for any new themes added later.
-TazOC
Attachment:/usr/local/apps/Rox-Filer/images from Lighthouse 215. Includes crystal KDE style symlink overlay and triangular mount/mounted indicators.
ROX-Filer-images_toolbar-mount-symlink-LHP.tar.gz
Description  from Lighthouse 215, details above.
gz

Download 
Filename  ROX-Filer-images_toolbar-mount-symlink-LHP.tar.gz 
Filesize  77.2 KB 
Downloaded  651 Time(s) 

Eyes-Only

PostPosted: Sun 02 Sep 2007, 17:23    Post subject:  

Hi Tazoc!

In re: to the index.theme file there? What I do is make a directory inside "/root/.icons" and give that directory the name of what my ROX-mime theme will be. Then I take a pre-existing theme file (I started out using one from Pizzasgood's Pizzapup 3.0) and I place it inside that newly-made directory, open it as a text file, and edit that giving it the new theme name AND renaming the file to the name of the theme. Next I bring in a MIME directory from ROX and start changing over the icons to the new set I'm making.

Once I'm finished I go to "Options>Types" in ROX and I can change to my new MIME theme from there. Smile What's really nice though is that it changes the directories (folders), as some of my theme sets have nearly-matching MIME-types---it's just the folders that are really different (namely this happens a lot when dealing with the "Crystal" sets of themes).

I hope this has made some semblance of sense Tazoc? I've had someone pop into the room part-way through this who's been wanting my attention. LOL!

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Sun 02 Sep 2007, 21:46    Post subject:  

Quote:
some of my theme sets have nearly-matching MIME-types---it's just the folders that are really different (namely this happens a lot when dealing with the "Crystal" sets of themes).

Another thing you can do if you only want different folders (like so you can have a choice between red, orange, green, purple, etc.) is just make separate themes, then symlink all the icons except the folders between them. Then just stick the actual folder icons in each one. You could also just stick all the folders in one theme, and link individual ones to the other ones (with the link renamed) so all the "real" images are in one place.

The first method is what I did in Pizzapup, in case people don't like the orange icons. I probably would have done the second method instead, but I only thought of it fourteen seconds ago.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep 2007, 19:13    Post subject:  

Pup 2.20alpha has SVG support in Rox.
tazoc

PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep 2007, 04:41    Post subject:  

Eyes-Only, yes thank you that helps I think I will try it. Gotta make some free space on my HD and dl Pizzapup maybe that will help too, Taz luvs whole Pizza...

Pizzasgood, good ideas indeed, hmm maybe can easily change folder colors or styles--nice!

BarryK wrote:
Pup 2.20alpha has SVG support in Rox.
Wow, yes it does. Well done and thank you!
-TazOC

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: