How to have same desktop functionality as Zorin OS?

Booting, installing, newbie
rmcellig

How to have same desktop functionality as Zorin OS?

#1 Post by rmcellig »

Right now I am in Zorin OS. This is the way I have my desktop setup. The panel on the left allows me to drag and drop icons of frequently used items so that they are always available to me no matter what program I am using.

When I am in Puppy Linux 5.2.8, I usually stay in the Outbox, jwm or fluxbox window managers (I would love to install E17 but can't find a pet for my puppy distro) because I love the simplicity and functionality. Is there a way I can achieve the same basic functionality I have using Zorin OS, in Puppy? What are my options?
Attachments
desktoplatest.jpeg
(34.02 KiB) Downloaded 598 times

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

You could try adding Wbar to the desktop of Lucid Puppy 5.2.8
You can get it from the Puppy Package manager.
You may like it.

To get the type of side panel you are talking about. Do this:
Right click on any icon on the desktop.
Select add panel.
Choose where you want new panel.
You can drag and drop desktop icons to the new panel.
You can remove icons from panel by right clicking on icon and choosing remove item.
You can select options for panel by right clicking on panel and choosing
panel options.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

rmcellig

#3 Post by rmcellig »

Thanks bigpup!

I will give this a try. I noticed that I am unable to drag and drop to the default panel that runs along the bottom in puppy 5.2.8. Is this a different kind of panel?

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

Yes. (Lucid Puppy 528 default setup) The panel at the bottom is Fbpanel if you are using OpenBox as window manager. It works like a taskbar/tray.
menu->Desktop->Desktop settings->Fbpanel configuration is where changes are made. The launch bar tabs are where you can add or remove program launch icons.

If you use JWM window manager.
menu->Desktop->Desktop settings-> JWM configuration program tray settings control the tray at bottom of screen.
YaPI(any iso installer)

rmcellig

#5 Post by rmcellig »

Thanks again for the clarification!

What would you recommend as a one click solution to launching apps etc... from anywhere in Puppy? I just found out that even though the panel solution works well in Zorin, it seems somewhat out of place in Puppy, not because of a lack of Puppy functionality but because Puppy strikes me as a different kind of puppy distro that would be better off with a different kind of one click solution.

Does this make any sense? Do you understand what I am getting at?

rokytnji

#6 Post by rokytnji »

s (I would love to install E17 but can't find a pet for my puppy distro) because I love the simplicity and functionality
Then why not run Macpup 528 instead?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=34812

or I guess wait for runtt21 to finish up latest Macpup which should be based on Ubuntu Precise Pangolin. Just mentioning this in case you did not know.

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

rmcellig wrote: one click solution.

Not sure what you are talking about?
YaPI(any iso installer)

rmcellig

#8 Post by rmcellig »

rokytnji

You are absolutely right. I have Macpup on my laptop but I guess my main stumbling block is understanding the in's and outs of E 17. There are so many options to configure whatever I want that for me it is a bit overwhelming where to go to change certain things. For example, When I click on the desktop to display the enlightenment menu, I would like the menu and font size to be bigger with a different background color so that I can see it better. Where do I go to change this? I have been trying to look for videos or info that would explain how to take full advantage of what Enlightement E17 has to offer.

Probably the main reason I stayed with Openbox using Puppy 5.2.8 is because I find Outbox to be pretty simple to configure. I know I know, I have to get my feet dirty with E17. It's just basically understanding it all from a newbie point of view.

The one thing I am desperately trying to come to terms with regarding Linux are all the options. In the Mac world (where I have been since 1988), we never really had all of the options that Linux offers. While distro hopping is fun, I really think I need to settle down with one distro I can really sink my teeth into that is simple, fast and flexible. Thanks for mentioning Macpup. I will see if I can dig up some info on how to configure in E17 etc...

The one click solution I mentioned in my previous post refers to quick ways to access folders, files and applications, instead of always navigating through several levels of menu to get where I want to go.

sfeeley

#9 Post by sfeeley »

one click solution.

maybe these threads would help?
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=53832
and maybe the rover pet at the end of this thread

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1&start=15

Karl Godt

#10 Post by Karl Godt »

rmcellig wrote:rokytnji

For example, When I click on the desktop to display the enlightenment menu, I would like the menu and font size to be bigger with a different background color so that I can see it better. Where do I go to change this? I have been trying to look for videos or info that would explain how to take full advantage of what Enlightement E17 has to offer.
You need to go to Appearance -> Scaling and tick " Scale relative to DPI " .

This was disturbing me once too .

I got the info here :

http://hardkap.net/forums/topic/macpup- ... #post-1744

HiDeHo

#11 Post by HiDeHo »

Hi rmcellig macpup. click here for there website, if Zorion os you mentioned uses e17, remember that with each os they build their own e17 macpup may have a different version of e17, from Zorion, but it should not be too different.

also if they are both using e17, you might be able to copy the desktop setup files over from Zorion and macup might be able to read and use them. I have done this with other apps such s pidgin, xchat, etc from my ubuntu os, copied the setup files to puppy and they seemed to work.

you can contact the devs of macpup on the macpup forum click here

although i am mentioning the above. before you try anything, backup any save files you have, or use a new one, before you begin. i have not done anything liek taking Zorion os e17 files adn moving them over to macpup, so I cant say it will actually work. remember its all in how macopup devs compiled e17
HiDeHo is an ideas man. loves to come up with ideas that others think are good and can use
[b]if you are a sneeky computer geek check out sneekygeekers [url=http://www.sneekygeekers.com]click here[/url][/b]