Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 30 Aug 2014, 18:19
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Puppy for parallel computation using openMPI
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 3 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Everitt

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug 2007, 21:00    Post_subject:  Puppy for parallel computation using openMPI
Sub_title: aka Matrix pup

A week or so I started to look into parellel code execution on clusters of standard computers. Being a bit of a computer geek, and having a few old computers laying about the place I thought I'd have a go at it. Like a good little nerd I read through some tutorials and began to digest the basics of writting C to be executed using openMPI. Seeing as I'm still a total beginer at C, and have no experiance you'd have thought that that would be enough. Nope. Not me. Very Happy I decided that it would be far more fun to train by beloved puppy to run my code for me.
After maybe a week of work I'm maybe a few days away from burning my first CD. Everything is still very much in the proof of concept stage, but I have had this working, and I'm not too far away from producing something that'll work 'out of the box'
Inital steps to use this:
    Set up a SIMPLE network, just some computers and a switch. No servers, and, importantly no outside connections.
    Boot one of the machines from the CD
    This will set up a PXE boot server, so boot the other PC's from there
    At this stage you should have a cluster of PC's ready to run code.

ok, what you would now have in front of you is, in effect, a pile of old hardware. Smile But, and here's the important thing, if you're a geek like me you can (just about) justify calling that pile of old hardware a 'scalable supercomputer.'
Yep, that's right, supercomputer. Very Happy
Admit it, that got you're attention.
Ok, so to actually qualify as a supercomputer proper you'd need a LOT of expensive computers, not just the old junk you found in a skip somewhere, but I did say scalable!
I admit it, I'm joking around. I don't intened for this thing to ever actually be a proper clustering solution, I just want an enviroment to teach myself something about MPI, and I though, if I'm going to do this, why not have a little fun? Razz When I think of a supercomputer I think of big shiney things with flashy lights and steam errupting everywhere. I think of the cutting edge of modern computing.
When I think of puppy I think of a small, fast, light OS perfectly suited to running on older, slower computers. I just love the idea of running it on a supercomputer! What else other than an OS callled puppy could make that steaming beamoth of modern computing cutter! What machine could be better suited to the low requirements of Puppy.

I guess by now you've all guessed I'm a teenager with a tendency to exagerate and a love of irony. I would like you all to know that I do yes know that anything I could set up in my bedroom is a massive distance from a supercomputer, and that what I'm trying to do with puppy has been done many times with OS's far better suited to the job.
I just thought it could be amusing. Puppy and supercomputers? Why not!?
If anyone can come up woth a good name for this then perhaps we could use it to attract a bit of attention puppies way?
Anyway, if anyone actually cares, I should be able to get an iso uploaded in the next few days, if I get time to work on it.

Edited_time_total
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug 2007, 21:05    Post_subject:  

Matrix Pup

Smile

Everitt

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug 2007, 21:10    Post_subject:  

Ok, be honest with me, do you think I'm nuts? Smile
Sorry, I'm just having a little too much fun with the idea of a HPC (High performance cluster) running something called puppy. Smile

Matrix pup... I like the sound of that. Smile
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug 2007, 22:14    Post_subject:  

Everitt wrote:
Ok, be honest with me, do you think I'm nuts? Smile

The imaginary psychiatrist I keep in the cupboard, says I am not qualified to give an answer.

Quote:
Sorry, I'm just having a little too much fun with the idea of a HPC (High performance cluster) running something called puppy. Smile

Very Happy Keep up the good work

Quote:
Matrix pup... I like the sound of that. Smile

You are the One, Neo

Dougal

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug 2007, 06:54    Post_subject:  

I think it's a fine idea and you seem to be spending your time on better tings than 90% of the people on this forum.

Keep us updated.

But I think it's your mind
Everitt

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug 2007, 10:00    Post_subject:  

I really need to learn that trying to write things at 2AM isn't the best of ideas. Sorry about that Very Happy

Thanks for the pic, I love it, and it could just be the solution to a problem I haven't thought about yet. Smile

Not much progress I'm afraid, I've been roped into washing the garage roof today, and probably painting it tomorrow. It's really irritating, I'm only a few steps away from something I properly test, and I've got no time to do anything!
Everitt

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug 2007, 17:59    Post_subject:  

Happily enough we can't get the ladders out, so I got a roof free day. Unfortunately I didn't make as much progress as I'd have liked. However, I do think I'm getting somewhere, finaly. Smile

This would be so much easier if I could work out how puppy works. It seems like process' I start from /etc/profile aren't starting, or something...
I'll probably start a new thread if I can't work it out soon
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug 2007, 23:33    Post_subject:  

any use?
http://www.puppylinux.com/development/howpuppyworks.html

I am replacing parts of a floor (woodworm) - joists and planks.
Shocked

Neo: I know you're out there. I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid... afraid of us. You're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell how it's going to begin. I'm going to hang up this phone, and then show these people what you don't want them to see. I'm going to show them a world without you. A world without rules or controls, borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

Everitt

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug 2007, 16:32    Post_subject:  

Lobster wrote:
any use?
http://www.puppylinux.com/development/howpuppyworks.html

Unfortunately not, it stops before reaching the part of the startup that I'm interested in. Facinating though. *Goes back to read more*

My day today was filled with emulsion, so I didn't get anywhere. For some reason sshd stopped working. I guess it's probably a permissions error (I made the mistake of copying everything onto a Samba share, and in doing so lost all the permissions.)
Other than that I shouldn't be too far away from something that works. *Crosses fingers*
Everitt

PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep 2007, 12:17    Post_subject:  

Well, I wasn't that far away, then my hdd lost it all. Well, some of it. I've been too busy to do anything about it though, so it's probably going to be a while before I get anything working again.
To be honest I was going to have to redo a fair amount at some point, so why try to hard to recover lost data?
Everitt

PostPosted: Sun 02 Sep 2007, 21:20    Post_subject:  

Ok, so I've been doing some thinking. I've been pretty busy of late. Well, not really, I've been don't next to nothing, but it feels like I'm busy. I've been sleeping a lot to be honest, but that's not the point. Very Happy The point is that whenever I've been looking to do some work on this I've been given some other job to do.
Part of me want to get something, anything out, preferably in the next two weeks. That might not be so easy now I've lost everything. I'm going to university, so things are going to get a whole lot busier, getting ready, and then of course, once I'm there I'm not going to have a lot of free time for a while.
Now I origionally posted this for a joke, but I started it because I was interested. If I'm going to do this then I want to end up producing something that's the way I want it to be. I take a pride in my work, and I don't want to make comprimises where I don't have to. The origional plan was to quickly bash out a proof of concept, based on a single image. Now this is, I believe, how the other distrobutions I've seen that do this work. It was never what I invisioned though. I just wanted to prove to myself that it could be done, and that it would work under Puppy. This plan was somewhat squashed when I lost a fair amount of progress. In working getting that version to work I've pretty much convince myself that it could work, so why mess about with an interim test?
So then, I haven't forgotten about this, I haven't given up, but I doubt there will be anything much happening for a while.

Is anyone actually interested? Shall I post notes as to how I want it to work, and progress reports, or shall we just let the joke die here?
Trobin

PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep 2007, 10:51    Post_subject:  

Don't let it die.
Everitt

PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep 2007, 15:33    Post_subject:  

Hokay. No saying when I'll find time though. Sad
eriefisher

PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep 2007, 16:22    Post_subject:  

I say keep going.

I think the name should be "Wolf Pack"

eriefisher
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep 2007, 23:59    Post_subject:  

Smile We will have available Slack binary code compatibility as 2.20 evolves

Are there java multi processor programs or suitable Slack code?

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 3 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum