revised Network Wizard + dhcpcd Aug 24 2007

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
jonyo

#31 Post by jonyo »

Wasn't much confusion for me there. Reading your note was the tail end of many hrs (days..) of trying to sort out my card..

- searching & reading the forum (many more hrs also on the net)..

which turns out has common scenarios with other cards that use the same drivers. Much of the info on the net was conflicting but seemed to point to my card being a prism 2.5 (threads above).

I'm still quite thrilled :) to have gotten a wifi connection here with the ma401ra (first time in pup98 was a huge thrill..took a looong time) for now, but would like to get some wep action going. Haven't come across much yet in regards to pcmcia 16 bit cards & wep in pup but did come across some info recently.

I may be at the head of the class :) in regards to being misunderstood.. feedback tells a tale..
cheers
Last edited by jonyo on Wed 12 Sep 2007, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#32 Post by BarryK »

I've got an alternative network wizard script here, but note it is basically the same as the on posted on 24th as regards wireless and the fundamentals of setup. Also, to test it requires some messing around...

I want to put this into pup 3.00, so I have done some more work on it and got it to my liking. I reduced the size somewhat, while keeping all the functionality, changed the primary window so that the 'tree' widget is eliminated. There was a problem with the 'Back' button after an interface had been configured. My version does not use 'lsusb', 'load-usb-modules.sh', 'usbmodules', or 'usb.ids'.

I've posted my version for testing, but do note that to get it to work, one of two things must be done -- either update gtkdialog to version 0.7.20, or edit the net-setup.sh script and remove the '--geometry' commandline option. My alternative to the 'tree' displays okay, except gtkdialog miscalculates the window width, so it has to be set on the commandline -- but the '--geometry' cmmandline option in gtkdialog3 v0.7.18 (used in pup 2.17) causes a segmentation fault. The change-log for gtkdialog states that was fixed for 0.7.20.

So, if you just remove the '--geometry' option, the first window displays a bit too wide.

To see what I have done in the script, look for the string 'v2.21'.

Attached. It has to be placed at /usr/sbin.
Attachments
net-setup.sh.gz
(12.02 KiB) Downloaded 457 times

tempestuous

#33 Post by tempestuous »

Barry, the new look is good.
I compiled gtkdialog-0.7.20 and renamed the executable "gtkdialog3" so I could see the true end-result.
I should point out to others testing this new net-setup.sh script that the Aug24 version of the Wizard still needs to be installed first, if the additional features of prism2_usb support and WPA2 support are to be realised, because these features are embodied within a separate file: /usr/sbin/wag-profiles.sh
A few other files from the Aug24 version may also be required, I'm not sure.
Anyway, I was able to test prism2_usb support - all good, even the "Autoload USB" function. The USB device does not have a Description listed, I guess that's the result of not having lsusb. I don't miss it.

One slight quirk: when I launch the Wizard it correctly lists my LAN adaptor

Code: Select all

eth0, Ethernet, r8169, pci, RealTek RTL-8169)
then after I "Autoload" my USB module the main Wizard window correctly lists my USB wifi device

Code: Select all

wlan0, Wireless, prism2_usb, usb
but now the LAN adaptor is listed TWICE.

jonyo

#34 Post by jonyo »

tempestuous wrote:I even saw someone claim that some MA401's had a Hermes chipset (updated Orinoco).
I'm having a look at a card (not ma401) that has the hermes chip. Is that supported in pup and or does it use the orinoco_cs driver in pup?

jonyo

#35 Post by jonyo »

tempestuous wrote:Yes it looks like your MA401RA has a true Orinoco chip, while the MA401 has a Prism2x chip.
Dunno how this works zaktly but my card comes up (with # cardctl ident ) ma401ra "ISL37300P", "Eval-RevA"
A google of "ISL37300P", "Eval-RevA" mostly comes up with prism 2.5 including this link
http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wlan:netgearma401 notwithstanding that it's called a ma401 in the link. :roll:

So, even though my card sez ma401 (that uses a prism 2 chip) on it, I actually have an ma401ra "ISL37300P", "Eval-RevA" = prism 2.5 - Yes?

& Hostap should or could work with it, but from what i've read, may not for a variety of reasons & the orinoco_cs driver can or may work instead.

Here's a response i got from checking this out:
"Orinoco_cs loads by default for both Orinoco (hermes chipset) and Prism chipset cards. It does not have much functionality though, so to take advantage of advanced programs in suites like backtrack, you have to load the hostap driver. I have not attempted to load the hostap driver for this particular card, I only tested in with Orinoco_cs. Sometimes it is not easy to change to hostap depending on your linux release as in addition to the chipset there are also firmware requirements. At this time I am not sure if this works with the hostap driver, you may want to do a search for MA401, hostap, and your version of Linux to see if there are any forums out there where people have commented on this type of setup"
Last edited by jonyo on Thu 13 Sep 2007, 00:41, edited 3 times in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#36 Post by BarryK »

tempestuous,
/etc/networkmodules has all the module descriptions, which is how I eliminated lsusb and isb.ids. This file is built by 'createpuppy' in Unleashed, and the descriptions are just got from running 'modinfo' on each network module.
A couple of the modules however don't have any description when 'modinfo' is run, prism2_usb is one of them.

One thing I could do is if a user adds an extra network module after Puppy has been built, so it isn't listed in /etc/networkmodules, modinfo could be run and the info added to the file.

Anyway, I'll checkout why the double entry is occurring.

tempestuous

#37 Post by tempestuous »

Barry,
just checking, then, that you will include in Puppy 3.0 the other updated files from the Aug24 Network Wizard:

/usr/sbin/wag-profiles.sh
/usr/sbin/wpa_connect.sh
/etc/wpa_supplicant2.conf
/etc/WAG/profile.conf
/etc/networkmodules
BarryK wrote:One thing I could do is if a user adds an extra network module after Puppy has been built, so it isn't listed in /etc/networkmodules, modinfo could be run and the info added to the file.
That's not a bad idea, but I wonder how you determine whether a new module is actually network-related?
/etc/networkmodules (as I listed above) has already been modified by Dougal to be as extensive (and accurate) as possible about all available network modules.
And I can think of one or two more exotic/experimental wifi modules I could add to the list (which we could consider compiling later) -

r8187 "Linux driver for Realtek RTL8187 WiFi cards"
mrv8k "Marvel 8xxx Wireless driver"
islsm_pci "Prism54 softmac 802.11 Wireless LAN adapter"
islsm_usb "Prism54 USB Driver"

But let's not get too fussy about descriptions. If the descriptions are based on information obtained from the module, this will only relate to the chipset contained in the wifi device, not to the brand of the device.
The whole reason why Dougal and I considered using lsusb was that we could obtain information about the BRAND and MODEL of the device, which might give some reassurance to new users that their device had been correctly identified, before they proceed to configure it.
Obviously, this is a "luxury" feature, which costs over 200KB.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#38 Post by BarryK »

/etc/networkmodules is autogenerated, so I won't be placing a customised version in the net_setup package. If there are shortcomings in the descriptions, or some descriptions missing, perhaps a few special extra items can be in a separate file -- or, in createpuppy script if no desciption is found for a module then there could be some replacements in the createpuppy script itself.

I fixed the double-entries problem.

I have contacted the author of gtkdialog, asking if the miscalculation of window width ca be fixed, so the '--geometry' option won't be needed.

tempestuous

#39 Post by tempestuous »

Puppy 3.0 alpha/beta now contains the new dhcpcd ver 3.1.4, but some users have reported problems.
Here is the old version of dhcpcd from Puppy 2.16. Could anyone interested please test this in Puppy 3.0.
It will overwrite the existing (newer) version of dhcpcd, but if you want the original back, just re-install dhcpcd-3.1.4.pet from the first post in this thread.
Attachments
dhcpcd-1.3.22.pet
(15.42 KiB) Downloaded 415 times