Sharing w/ Win2k

Using applications, configuring, problems
xxsolusxx

Sharing w/ Win2k

#1 Post by xxsolusxx »

Now.. I installed onto a blank HD and got the boot option at powerup... if I install side-by-side (on a ext2? partition on the same HD, I mean) w/ win2k, will I get the option at power-up to boot into each? Is there reason to worry about my Win2k installation getting corrupted or running into booting issues?

Everitt

#2 Post by Everitt »

As long as you partition the disk, install win2k, THEN puppy, then grub you should be ok. As far as I know grub should spot windows 2k and add an option to boot into it. I've never tries with puppy, but it works fine with win2k and ubuntu on my main box. If your disk is already blank then I suggest you just try it!
I know that grub offers a range of places to install to. I believe that win2k always install's it's boot loader to the MBR, so I have no idea what would happen if you choose to install there.

xxsolusxx

#3 Post by xxsolusxx »

You said it it's been wiped... I have Win2k on it, and don't currently have the CD-Rom.... It's not a major issue; using the livedisk is a mild irritation (it's mostly the ram use and the fact that I break disks often that bother me)

Do you know if it's save to make a partion, install, and put on grub? What if I install grub to a diskette? Would that have the affect of making the diskette trigger a puppy boot?

For various reasons. I'd like to keep Win2k as an option until I'm more confident moving completely over to Linux

Everitt

#4 Post by Everitt »

Oh, sorry, I assumed that the blank hdd was the one you were planning to use.

I know that it's safe to resize win2k and install ubuntu in the free space, I can't see puppy being different.
If you were to install grub on a floppy then I see no way for it to break win2k. As long as it's mbr is left alone and it stays in the same partition (hda1 I guess?) win2k should be absolutely fine.

xxsolusxx

#5 Post by xxsolusxx »

DO you know if it'd work if I just let grub install in one of the other options?

Everitt

#6 Post by Everitt »

Nope, but I'm feeling reckless, so I'm about to find out. :)

*Waves goodbye to kubuntu*

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

xxsolusxx wrote:... (it's mostly the ram use and the fact that I break disks often that bother me) ...
You should look into running Puppy from a multisession DVD. If the drive fails you only lose what's in RAM at the time that hasn't been saved to the DVD. You're back in business by just replacing broken drive and putting the multisession DVD in the new drive. If you don't have much RAM, you can leave a HD in the computer for swap memory. :)
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

Everitt

#8 Post by Everitt »

Ok, I've just done a frugal install using the defaults suggested. (install to mbr) The grub menu.lst looks good, I'm rebooting as I type.

And the reult is *drumroll*...
Windows boots fine...
Reboots again... God windows is slow.
Puppy however will not. Hmm, a problem for another thread, if I actually wanted it installed. :)

It seems my suspicians were correct, Grub just handles everything for you. Windows will be fine, and there is no reason why puppy shouldn't work just fine for you. Give it a go. :D

*Reboots to the live CD, and wipes the partition for storage again.*

xxsolusxx

#9 Post by xxsolusxx »

Flash wrote:
xxsolusxx wrote:... (it's mostly the ram use and the fact that I break disks often that bother me) ...
You should look into running Puppy from a multisession DVD. If the drive fails you only lose what's in RAM at the time that hasn't been saved to the DVD. You're back in business by just replacing broken drive and putting the multisession DVD in the new drive. If you don't have much RAM, you can leave a HD in the computer for swap memory. :)
I meant I break CDs :p

Also.. no burner :/
Everitt wrote:Ok, I've just done a frugal install using the defaults suggested. (install to mbr) The grub menu.lst looks good, I'm rebooting as I type.

And the reult is *drumroll*...
Windows boots fine...
Reboots again... God windows is slow.
Puppy however will not. Hmm, a problem for another thread, if I actually wanted it installed. :)

It seems my suspicians were correct, Grub just handles everything for you. Windows will be fine, and there is no reason why puppy shouldn't work just fine for you. Give it a go. :D

*Reboots to the live CD, and wipes the partition for storage again.*
Thanks for letting your machine be the labrat :P

Now to troubleshoot that lats detail.... *off*

Everitt

#10 Post by Everitt »

xxsolusxx wrote: Thanks for letting your machine be the labrat :P
No problem, I rather enjoyed watching my lean little puppy chew up that fatty ubuntu. :twisted: