How to have wireless working after reboot (puppy 2.12)

Booting, installing, newbie
kkpity

How to have wireless working after reboot (puppy 2.12)

#1 Post by kkpity »

Hi,

I have a Dell D610 notebook running puppy on CD and the puppy config file at a pendrive.

I use ipw2200 as wireless module.

Wireless is working great, but I have to reconfigure it always after reboot.

I've seem some messages in this forum saying to put configuration in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

I do not know what to put on this file because I run just graphical tools to configure my wireless card.

I just want a tip (or a link on the forum) to know what to put on this file to have my card configured automatically after reboot.

Thanks in advance

kkpity

BlackAdder

#2 Post by BlackAdder »

This is an extract from the Readme for the ipw2200 driver submitted by tempestuous - slightly modified. The commands can be added to /etc/rc.d/rc.local, but it is a good idea to test them by running in a console window first.

Code: Select all

## load the driver
modprobe ipw2200
## if no error messages, this should create a network interface, eth0
ifconfig eth0 up  #(sometimes necessary)
## continue to set up the wireless network manually -
iwconfig eth0 essid MY_ESSID key 1234567890 mode managed
## for automatic IP
## first remove stale dhcpcd file if it exists
rm /etc/dhcpc/*.pid 2>/dev/null
dhcpcd -t 30 -h puppypc -d eth0

kkpity

#3 Post by kkpity »

I've changed the commands to attend my configuration:

#wireless configuration
## load the driver
modprobe ipw2200
## if no error messages, this should create a network interface, eth1
#(sometimes necessary)
#ifconfig eth1 up
## continue to set up the wireless network manually -
iwconfig eth1 essid MY_ESSID channel 1 key 1234567890 mode managed ap xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
ifconfig eth1 up
## for automatic IP
## first remove stale dhcpcd file if it exists
dhcpcd -t 30 -h puppypc -d eth1

After run above commands, the iwconfig output sounds good, but I cannot get ip address.

I only have all things working if I go to RutilT wireless gadget graphical tool and enable my config. After that it ask my secure key and I successfully got the IP from my network.

It seems there is something missing yet on the above commands.

Anyway it is already much better that in the past. Meanwhile I just have to enter my secure key to go on line.

I will investigate a little more.

Thanks again

BlackAdder

#4 Post by BlackAdder »

Did you run the commands one at a time?
If you did not, could you try that to check if one of the commands fails. You might also use the dmesg command in case there are error messages.
If the individual commands work, then you may need a sleep command in the script e.g. after modprobe. Example:

Code: Select all

modprobe ipw2200 
sleep 5 # sleep for 5 seconds
iwconfig eth1 essid MY_ESSID channel 1 key 1234567890 mode managed 
dhcpcd -t 30 -h puppypc -d eth1 
Sleep can allow commands to take full effect before the next command is executed.

kkpity

#5 Post by kkpity »

Yes, I run commands at once -> no success

I've put sleep -> no success

Messages at dmesg sounds good:
ieee80211: 802.11 data/management/control stack, git-1.1.13
ieee80211: Copyright (C) 2004-2005 Intel Corporation <jketreno@linux.intel.com>
ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver, 1.1.2k
ipw2200: Copyright(c) 2003-2006 Intel Corporation
PCI: Enabling device 0000:03:03.0 (0100 -> 0102)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:03:03.0[A] -> Link [LNKB] -> GSI 5 (level, low) -> IRQ 5
ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
ipw2200: Detected geography ZZM (11 802.11bg channels, 0 802.11a channels)
eth1: NETDEV_TX_BUSY returned; driver should report queue full via ieee_device->is_queue_full.

The last one message (NETDEV_TX_BUSY) as I've checked on google is an ocurrence when you make several modprobe / modprobe -r . I think it is not a problem.

I've looking at post:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2dd8d3a230

and "rarsa" sad:
"If you are using 2.12 you should not need to modify rc.local."

It seems the Network wizard do 2 things:
Ndiswrapper handling and
Persistent configuration

I've tried to run this wizard but I couldn't get my wireless working.

As I've sad I have only success when I go to RutilT and click on "Apply" at Profiles tab (there is no need to insert security key again).

tempestuous

#6 Post by tempestuous »

Now that the network wizard accommodates the setup of Puppy's inbuilt wifi modules, much of the setup information in my (older) README's is unnecessary.
But neither approach is working in this case, so I suspect other problems.
Maybe some of the kernel modules that the ipw2200 depends on are not getting loaded. Try this -

modprobe firmware class
modprobe ieee80211_crypt
modprobe ieee80211_crypt_wep
modprobe ieee80211

Now try the network wizard.

kkpity

#7 Post by kkpity »

The first modprobe (modprobe firmware class) didn't work:
FATAL: Module firmware not found.

I think is not that.

I've investigated the Network Wizard and had found some issues:
1. Network Wizard uses some scripts at: /usr/sbin/

I've checked 2 of them:
wag-profiles.sh (saves wireless configuration)
net-setup.sh (main program)

wag-profiles.sh generates a temp file (wag-profiles_iwconfig.sh) at /tmp that configures the wireless interface.

The issue is:
the secure key is put at the end of "iwconfig" command. I do not no why, but with that, the iwconfig does not set the secure key (checked by iwconfig command).

So, I made a small modification at this file:

[ "$PROFILE_CHANNEL" != "" ] && IWCONFIG_PARAMS="${IWCONFIG_PARAMS} channel $PROFILE_CHANNEL"
[ "$PROFILE_MODE" != "" ] && IWCONFIG_PARAMS="${IWCONFIG_PARAMS} mode $PROFILE_MODE"
[ "$PROFILE_AP_MAC" != "" ] && IWCONFIG_PARAMS="${IWCONFIG_PARAMS} ap $PROFILE_AP_MAC"
[ "$PROFILE_KEY" != "" ] && IWCONFIG_PARAMS="${IWCONFIG_PARAMS} key $PROFILE_KEY"

to:
[ "$PROFILE_CHANNEL" != "" ] && IWCONFIG_PARAMS="${IWCONFIG_PARAMS} channel $PROFILE_CHANNEL"
[ "$PROFILE_KEY" != "" ] && IWCONFIG_PARAMS="${IWCONFIG_PARAMS} key $PROFILE_KEY"
[ "$PROFILE_MODE" != "" ] && IWCONFIG_PARAMS="${IWCONFIG_PARAMS} mode $PROFILE_MODE"
[ "$PROFILE_AP_MAC" != "" ] && IWCONFIG_PARAMS="${IWCONFIG_PARAMS} ap $PROFILE_AP_MAC"

Just move the "key" after channels instead of at the end of generated file.

2. net-setup.sh has a function called "test_interface".
There are some commands that are not working properly (example: ifplugstatus ${INTERFACE} | grep "link beat detected")

I've tried to run the example above at command line, but the grep function return error.

I do not know how to fix that, but the result is that the system think that wireless interface is unplugged :?

3. function dhcpSetup put interface down at beggining (I do not know if this is correct) before dhcp setup. In my case, this function is reporting "HAS_ERROR=1" (dhcp fail).

I'm new on Puppy (I just started with 2.12 version) maybe you guys with more experience could help the comunity.

I really appreciate if you take a look on that and sorry if I've made some erroneous conclusion.

kkpity

PaulBx1

#8 Post by PaulBx1 »

I've tried to run the example above at command line, but the grep function return error.
Did you set the variable "INTERFACE" to anything first? E.g., run the command "INTERFACE=wlan0" or whatever your interface name is.

Keep working at it, you should get it going...

kkpity

#9 Post by kkpity »

I didn' t set the INTERFACE because I run the command at command line like this:

ifplugstatus eth1 | grep "link beat detected"

Anyway, I will investigate a little more and let everybody knows my progress.

Thanks

kkpity

rarsa

#10 Post by rarsa »

A little curious?

why going through all that problem when the network wizard that comes with puppy does all that?

Have you tried the network wizard and it failed?
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

kkpity

#11 Post by kkpity »

The network wizard didn't work for me.

Please see the thread above to get more details.

I'm still investigating and I hope to solve the issue soon.

Thanks

kkpity

sml

#12 Post by sml »

rarsa

The network wizard doesn't work for me either. Has been broken for quite a few releases.

rarsa

#13 Post by rarsa »

sml wrote:Has been broken for quite a few releases.
"has been broken" is not a very usefull report, is it?

sml

#14 Post by sml »

The very last window asks do you want to save the config for the next boot. For over 1 year (including about 10 puppy releases) I have been clicking yes but the settings are never loaded on the next boot. Hope this helps. If you need me to check any outputs etc please let me know. Does your config save work?

jonyo

#15 Post by jonyo »

I've had that prob & have it on this lap; not sure what it's about or how to fix though i understand there is a way. I'm not to swift with the console stuff.. :oops:

However I've had success on other systems running both live cd2.12 & 3. where the 2 tv screens on the bottom right light up flashing green on boot. I've always had to finalize the connection by clicking on auto dhcp from the Connect icon.

Dunno what i'm doing that those 2 tv screens light up on some systems & on others it doesn't. (quite sure i'm doin the same thing on all)

Also not sure if there is a way around having to click on auto dhcp, as a final step to hook up?

Don't have to fiddle with wep keys, they load auto.

On this rig I light up the tvs (bottom right) by goin RutilT & sometimes I have to click on my profile & sometimes also apply but alway have to click auto dhcp from the connect icon, for a final connection, on all 6 systems I'm running 2.13.

rarsa

#16 Post by rarsa »

sml wrote:I have been clicking yes but the settings are never loaded on the next boot.
As far as I know the problem with starting up the network at boot was not a problem with the wizard that's why it took so long to fix. Through out all my tests the wizard saved the configuration correctly 100% of the time regardless of adapter or conection mechanism.

So you may want to try this:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=15125

jonyo

#17 Post by jonyo »

Probably because you know what you're doing 8)

Problem for me is that if i mess it up, unless its straightforward (as in for a simpleton), no way i'll figure it out how to fix, by myself

Imagine a noob trying hundreds of diff things to get a connection :P

Bound to mess something up :roll: ..least in my case.

Minor thing for me though, pup is great :!: :D

thx for the link
rarsa wrote:Through out all my tests the wizard saved the configuration correctly 100% of the time regardless of adapter or conection mechanism.

Abakaba

#18 Post by Abakaba »

I'll skip the intruduction. Just hello, everyone.

My problem: I did a HD install to my mother's old PII 350MHz Dell
and, yeah, it's the wireless that won't come up after a reboot. I have tried all the new wizards. During bootup, the 60 second timeout to acquire an IP through DHCP is always used up.

Here comes the interesting part: I only have to start the wireless gadget under the Network menu (I am not at the computer but hopefully you'll know what I mean) and choose and apply the saved profile and I have instant wireless. And I mean INSTANT. There appears to be no loading or scanning going on.

So the settings seem to be saved and everything seems to be loaded at bootup--but why won't the wirelss come up right away?

My mother is a computer illiterate so it IS a problem although I would totally live with it myself.

kkpity

#19 Post by kkpity »

I still have same problem as Abakaba.

When I boot my machine, I have to start RIT (I'm not sure if it is this name. Is the last app from Network menu) and chosse my profile then "apply".

Just with above steps my wireless get working :?

I can live with that, but it will be very comfortable if I could just turn on my machine and starting navigate on the net ;-)

I'm using puppy 2.13 with latest network wizard.

thanks

kkpity
Linux user #388359 (http://counter.li.org/)

sml

#20 Post by sml »

rarsa,

I'll try some more testing tonight. Hope my previous short blunt message didn't come across the wrong way. I was just adding that I also experienced the problem with my 915 centrino notebook.

My main puppy bug is the USB hotplugging. Apart from that I am a happy puppy user. The network thing is a minor bug and I could fix it with some text commands but haven't bothered.