Why won't Puppy mount a music cd?

Booting, installing, newbie
Gratho

Why won't Puppy mount a music cd?

#1 Post by Gratho »

When I use Puppy drive mounter to mount my dvd player it will do so if I have placed a dvd film in the drive and plays the film without any hitch,
If I unmount the dvd player and then put a music cd in the drive "Puppy Dive Mounter" will not mount the drive and come up with an error statement saying "Problem caused by forgetting to unmount the previous inserted media", I know this is not the case as I have just unmounted the film dvd.
When I atemp to open the music cd in gxine 0.5.9 it will play through the tracks on the cd but at the same time as it starts to play the exine engine comes up with an error message "Unknown Host unable to resolve freedb.freed.org" but the music plays on.

I would be gratefull for any help

Thanks

Graham

John Doe

#2 Post by John Doe »

can you play the music cd or mount it on a clean boot (without doing dvd)?

try not mounting the drive to play the dvd. just put in the dvd and select "dvd" from gxine to play it. then try taking it out and mounting audio cd (also, no need to mount if you are simply playing it).

keithcleaver

#3 Post by keithcleaver »

As John says, you should be able to play the CD without having to mount it.

I've managed to play both CDs and DVDs in Gxine without mounting them. If you're not using that media, player, try that one.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I'm pretty sure Puppy won't mount a music CD because music CDs don't use a filesystem that Linux recognizes. Try mounting your Puppy CD. :shock:

Everitt

#5 Post by Everitt »

I didn't think that any OS would actually mount an audio CD. Audio data is not (AFAIK) written as files, it is instead designed to be streamed from the disk. As such there is no real filesystem for an OS to manipulate. Much in the same way that you wouldn't mount a tape on those old, old compters, you would play data back as and when you needed it.

I may well be wrong. :D