Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 24 Nov 2014, 01:20
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Video
Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
KenCat

PostPosted: Tue 21 Aug 2007, 12:53    Post subject:  Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express
Subject description: Getting Puppy Linux

Hey, I have a Dell XPS (blehh) and the internal hard drive decided to commit suicide. So I bought a Western Digital 120 GB external hard drive. I'm currently writing this as Ubuntu Linux is being run off my CD. I now know that I can't run Ubuntu off of the external drive (although it's installed onto it). I've heard of Puppy Linux and thought of it as a very light, simple OS. It is so much more than that and I'd be happy to download it even if it couldn't run off my external drive. I have a few questions though...

1) After installation (of the 2.17 "Dancer" Puppy Linux) will my graphics be at their best? I downloaded Ubuntu and my XPS graphics aren't working and I can't find a Linux version.

2) What's the simplest download? puppy-2.17.1-nolzma-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso at ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/ ?

I really appreciate the help. Thanks.
disciple

PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug 2007, 00:03    Post subject:  

That download should be good.
Will your graphics be at their best? I don't know anything about your graphics chip, but it is quite likely that they won't. However, in my experience Puppy does better with graphics chips than Ubuntu, and while a lot of people using Puppy might not have their graphics at their best, they wouldn't even notice because they're not playing big games or anything.

Have you done a search on the forum? If that doesn't tell you anything, give it a go - it's only an 80MB download.
Note that there is a "3D control center" package that has drivers for special cards - it might help you.
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Video
Jump to: