Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 20 Jun 2019, 03:17
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Where to find good Rox icon themes?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
distortedstar

PostPosted: Tue 21 Aug 2007, 11:18    Post subject:  Where to find good Rox icon themes?
Subject description: Most from gnome-look.org and art.gnome.org don' work.

I'd like to switch things up a bit and change my Rox icons. However, most of the icons I download from, say, gnome-look.org or art.gnome..org don't work. I feel like I've scoured the InterWebs for compatible icons, but perhaps I'm missing something. Where should I go to get some nice icons pre-packaged for ROX?
distortedstar

PostPosted: Sat 25 Aug 2007, 00:46    Post subject:  

It seems like a lot of people have checked this post out, but also have no idea, since I've gotten no replies. What I ended up doing was downloading PizzaPup 3.0, booting up, and copying his alternate icons to disk to use in my installation of Puppy 2.17. Worked great! If anybody has any other insights, though, I'd appreciate it!
muggins

PostPosted: Sat 25 Aug 2007, 03:32    Post subject:  

as i'm aesthetically challenged, (being quite happy to have "cogs" on the desktop, i should be the last person to respond...but have you looked at the rox sourceforge site for ideas?

http://rox.sourceforge.net/desktop/ThemeGallery?
distortedstar

PostPosted: Sat 25 Aug 2007, 12:28    Post subject:  

Yes, I have checked it out. A few days ago they were having some technical difficulties or something, because it seemed like most of the download links were broken. I've just revisited, and they do have some interesting options! The Uniquions set they provide doesn't work with ROX, however.
Eyes-Only

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug 2007, 16:26    Post subject:  

Hi Distortedstar! Smile

Actually, I took my lead from Pizzasgood back from when I was solely using Pizzapup 3.0.1. He's got some really great Rox icon sets there, eh? Cool

Now what I mean by "I took his lead" is that Puppy isn't the only Linux distro that I have installed on my computer. I also have both PCLOS-2007 and Debian-Sid, each which has some pretty fabulous icon sets in their respective repos without me having to resort to places like KDE-look.org and others for icon sets. Wink

Next, using Pizzasgood's design as a template by which to go I simply take the 48x48 "mimetype" icons from these various sets, copy them over one-by-one to another empty directory, and then rename them after how he's named them (which, after all, is how Rox has them in its mimetype directory). Then I rework his theme file to name the theme something like "ROX-NewCrystal" with a byline inside the file, move it into "/root/.icons" and Rox is ready to use its new set from the options. Pretty easy, just something that takes a wee bit of time, perhaps 30 minutes if you're a slow typer like myself. Laughing

This way the sky's the limit as to the number of truly fancy and unique sets you can create on your own.

Sorry I hadn't see this post earlier and given this info but I don't make it to the upper sections of the forum that often where I'm not able to help much. Sad

Hope this gives you some ideas though?

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

distortedstar

PostPosted: Tue 28 Aug 2007, 20:08    Post subject:  

Thanks, Eyes; Great tip! I think it might be a good idea to copy your instructions into a post over in the "How To" section...that way it'll be easier to find for other ROX newbs like me. Thanks again.
Eyes-Only

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug 2007, 20:50    Post subject:  

Feel free to be my guest Distortedstar! Write it out there, add anything extra that you may have learnt along the way, etc. Share, and share alike. Smile As for myself? I'm okie at helping in simple things like this, see? But if I had the words "HowTo" added into the title (or even writing in that area!) I'd become so discombobulated that I'd lose my train of thought, stumble over myself, and louse it all up.

In the medical world they call that "The White Coat Syndrome". It's when a patient can have normal blood pressure when talking with someone else. Add a doc to it and the pressure soars. LOL!

So my days of writing are long over. Ended a little over 10 years ago. I'm retired now. Wink

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: