Intel ipw2200 software license issues

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
tempestuous

Intel ipw2200 software license issues

#1 Post by tempestuous »

I am putting together a driver package for the Intel ProWireless 2200BG. This driver loads separate firmware files, obtained from here - http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php?fid=4
If the driver package was to be made available from one of the Puppy download sites, is it permissible to include these firmware files in the package?

Strangely, when you download the Windows driver from Intel - which contains this firmware, there is no such license agreement prompt -
ftp://aiedownload.intel.com/df-support/ ... 088663.exe

Craig S

BlackAdder

#2 Post by BlackAdder »

As I read the documentation, this needs the 2.6 Linux kernel. I guess it might be made to work with 1.0.2. There is a backport patch for 2.4 kernels mentioned in the documentation, but it looks as though development of that has stalled for the time being. :cry:

tempestuous

#3 Post by tempestuous »

I should have been more clear by saying I HAVE put together the driver package. Another forum member, Hank, tested the 4 different versions it took me to get it right.
I used the 2.4 patch from http://dellaric.home.cern.ch/dellaric/ipw2200/, recompiled the 2.4.29 kernel to get some extra modules for WPA encryption compatibility, then added some extra support files from Vector Linux which are missing in Puppy - mainly /etc/hotplug/firmware.agent and /sbin/hotplug.

I have just read the LICENSE file contained in the firmware download, and it looks like it should be OK to bundle the firmware in a driver package. There's a line ...
"You may copy and use the Software, subject to these conditions: ..."
I was hoping that someone else here might have more definite knowledge about this.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I took a look at the agreement. Intel seemed mostly to be concerned that no one use their software to enable any other manufacturer's product, but the agreement is so full of legal boilerplate as to make it impossible to say for sure whether you can use their software for anything at all. :lol:

OmniColos

#5 Post by OmniColos »

I would love a package like this! I'm trying to connect to a WPA network with TTLS/PAP authentication...

OC
omniscientcolossus AT yahoo dot com

#6 Post by Guest »

OmniColos wrote:I would love a package like this! I'm trying to connect to a WPA network with TTLS/PAP authentication...
The above is me...