TEENpup 2.0.0 what to expect

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
john biles

TEENpup 2.0.0 what to expect

#1 Post by john biles »

Hello everyone,
TEENpup 2.0.0 is built on a little bit of everything, a bit of KDE, Gnome, gtk etc
I wanted TEENpup 2.0.0 to be able to do what the average PC user would expect an Operating System to do be it Windows, Mac or Linux.

TEENpup 2.0.0 now has better support for digital camera's (Digikam, Gtkam), some scanner's (Kooka). Simple burning of music CD's with K3B
Build up a music library with Madman and so so much more. While it isn't finished, alot of it is in place.

If you take a close look at the screenshot provided, you'll get a better idea of what to expect.
It's final size looks to be around 235Mb's, 9Mb's more than TEENpup 1.0.0 I feel with all the extra Apps that will make day to day use of TEENpup easier, the extra size is worth it.

As TEENpup was originally put together as an install to Hard Drive version of Puppy Linux, its size is still alot smaller than alot of other Distro's out there.
Attachments
TEENpup 2.0.0.jpg
(118.86 KiB) Downloaded 1695 times
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

setecio

#2 Post by setecio »

Looking forward to trying it out, thanks for all the hard work in developing it.

Can I ask a few Qs:

a)When you say it was put together as an instal to HD Linux, does it offer a Frugal instal option?

b)More of a comment, but where does the name come from - it gave me the impression it was aimed at teenagers ?

c)Does it 'just work' for streaming media, java, flash or are some additions required after install ?

d)How does it compare / contrast along side 2.15 Community Edition ?

Thanks.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

A great mix of apps. What is you base Puppy - looks like 2.15CE?

I wish you well with this. What sort of memory and spec will be required to run it?

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/TeenPup
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

john biles

#4 Post by john biles »

Hello Lobster and setecio,
First I'd like to say that at the moment TEENpup 2.0.0 is based on Puppy 2.14 and not 2.15CE.

I imaging that it will install to Hard Drive the same way Puppy 2.14.

It is aimed at teenagers and those young at heart coming with alot of Apps used by Teenagers. But it should still appeal to the average PC User as well.

It has support for Flash 9 and websites like YouTube work fine. It doesn't come with Java support ( See below ) but that can be installed in minutes either using the installer included in TEENpup 1.0.0 or from MU's Dotpup site.
Realplayer files work with included added codecs.

As there is alot of KDE and Gnome base libs to allow Apps like K3B, Glabels, Madman, Kooka and more to work in TEENpup 2.0.0 the "Setup your Printer online Dotpup" and "Java Dotpup" included in TEENpup 1.0.0 had to be removed to keep the ISO size somewhere near what TEENpup 1.0.0 was. If you are using TEENpup 1.0.0 just copy those Dotpups to a CD, USB stick and install them in TEENpup 2.0.0

LOOK CLOSELY at the screenshot as there are Apps there you most likely don't know what they do.
Take the App "lmms" this is a music studio with alot of features.
Or "madman" an App to allow you to build a music library simular to itunes.
KDE's App "kooka" brings support for Scanners. Or digikam which gives better detection of digital cameras. I have searched hi and low to try and bring as many useful apps to a Puppy based Distro as I could. There is 100's of hours experimenting and testing to bring you TEENpup 2.0.0 and I'm very proud of TEENpup 2.0.0 and what it has become. It's now a case of fine tuning and expect TEENpup 2.0.0 in 2 weeks.

setecio

#5 Post by setecio »

OK, thanks John. Look forward to trying it.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

john biles wrote: Or "madman" an App to allow you to build a music library simular to itunes.
:oops: I thought this might be an application to keep me crazy in case of any lapses into sanity . . .

ah well . . . maybe I can work myself into a musical dance frenzy . . .

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

TheNose100

Install...

#7 Post by TheNose100 »

Is the install for this about the same as the latest version (2.16? I think). I have a laptop that I'd like to put puppy on, but I can't get past the video install part. xorg. I'm new to Linux, so I might get some simple things wrong. :roll:
I'll have to DL your version and give it a whirl anyway. Just because I like the stuff that you added onto it...

john biles

#8 Post by john biles »

Hello TheNose100,
The final ISO looks to be close to 240-250mb's in size. Puppy 2.16 is only 90mb's in size. To add all these extra Apps adds alot to the final size, but also gives you alot of useful stuff to use day to day.

Here's the current desktop and something close to what to expect in the final version.
Attachments
TEENpup 2.0.0 as of 24.05.07.jpg
(95.41 KiB) Downloaded 1401 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

have placed it here as a good example of Puppy puplets
http://www.zen45800.zen.co.uk/puppy3/page6b.htm

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

smokey01

#10 Post by smokey01 »

John,

Have you found a suitable video conferencing package that you could include, maybe something like skype. I'm not sure if it exists though.

Ta

edoc

#11 Post by edoc »

John,

Have you considered placing a URL for TEENpup in your sig?

Lobster does this for TMXXINE -- that way whenever the link changes that change
is reflected in every post he has made across the Forum.

I wish that the Forum heading would contain a clickable URL for the Puppy Home Page
and the most recent release of Puppy - it would ease the process of staying current.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603