"compose" package (music composition) for Puppy Linux

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
mcewanw

default note length

#31 Post by mcewanw »

From a quick glance at your music codes above, it looks to me like the main difference between pmw and abc is in the way of representing the default note length; otherwise they look very similar indeed.

ricstef

compose pkg

#32 Post by ricstef »

Hi Jeffrey,
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Life getting in the way of my hobbies...
I got version 1.0.4 some time ago and am very happy to report that it does exactly what I asked for. Nice job 8) I spent quite some time working with it. I too find entering music score this way, faster than using a graphical point and click method. One would think that it would be the other way around but experience shows otherwise. What I use it for is to score and listen to hymns that I want to learn for our church choir. So I make extensive use of your "Re-run" button while I practice by myself.
1) Your code prevents me from using capital letters in song titles. After working with it for a while, it became clear to me that it is not easy to make out the titles when the words are all squished. And I don't want to make the titles any longer by adding dashes or underscores. My preference is to use capitals at the start of words with no intervening spaces. So the name does not become too long.
As a proof of concept, I made a small change to line 138 of compose-1.0.4.
was:

Code: Select all

Music=`echo $Music | tr '[A-Z\ ]' '[a-z\_]'`
changed to:

Code: Select all

Music=`echo $Music | tr '[\ ]' '[\_]'`
Since I only wanted the title of songs to include capitals, that was all I changed. Now I find it easier to pick out the name I'm looking for.

2) Something I noticed in the Select sheet music name window is that the names appear unsorted. Is there a way that they could be displayed in sorted order? This would also aid finding what you're looking for.

3) I believe the group that is working on ChurchPup have earmarked your package to be included in their creation. Since you've refined and expanded it's functionality, this may be a strategic time :wink: to bundle the whole thing as a dotPet or what ever and upload it to MU like someone suggested.

BTW I tried it in Puppy-3.0 final and it looks good.

Cheers,
Richard.