IceWM Themes Exchange

Themes, icons, wallpapers, etc.
prit1

#76 Post by prit1 »

Whodo is right, I am able to access the wbar instructions on the new site even without a login or registration. It should work for anyone.

wolfwatcher51

#77 Post by wolfwatcher51 »

Hello WhoDo and prit1,

Edited post: updated status

After I installed wbar per the instructions it opened fine and looked good. I went back in to add prit1's code to that in the how to, and rebooted. When loaded, wbar was there with the changes, but hotpup icons were gone. I could neither restart x server or reboot.

Decided to use the standard windoze fix and used the restart button on the box. When it rebooted I had both the wbar and the hotpup icons. Blinky seems to be missing for some reason.

Going for broke I tried editing the .wbar file. I changed the icon,program and text for the browser. Rebooted,changes took and worked.

I have an install icon on the desktop that points to dotpup. I put that in the .wbar file, changed the icon saved and rebooted. No wbar oops! Finally had to delete the entry,save reboot, back in business. Could you please tell me what goes in wbar to execute dotpup/puppy package manager? Thanks.

If I have not worn out my time with you, the last piece is the gdesklets part. Almost there! I cannot get the program to d'load with firefox or ie on the windoze box. Something about my d'load manager making too many connections or something like that. When I tried on the puppy box, using dillo, it could not load the page, maybe some problem with the redirect to the d'load page. Any ideas on how to proceed? You wouldn't happen to have written a how to for gdesklets by chance? Thanks, Chris.

nic2109

#78 Post by nic2109 »

WhoDo wrote:I have modified dvw86's original Abby theme to look a bit like the latest Macintosh style.
I love this theme and I'm using it with the Aqua-graphite wallpaper (borrowed from my wife's Mac) and the Stardust icons. See screenshot.

What should I edit to move the task bar to the top?

Lastly; I'm sorry to say that there's a tiny cosmetic error in this theme that will be off-putting to MacOS purists.

The window control buttons on Tiger (i.e. MacOS 10.4) are (from left to right) Close, Minimise and Maximise; and the colours are Red, Amber and Green. To be completely the same as MacOS they should also contain the symbols 'X', '-' and '+' in the buttons. Fix all that and you have a near-perfect look-alike.
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

WhoDo

#79 Post by WhoDo »

nic2109 wrote:What should I edit to move the task bar to the top?
/root/.icewm/preferences and search for taskbar.
nic2109 wrote:Lastly; I'm sorry to say that there's a tiny cosmetic error in this theme that will be off-putting to MacOS purists.

The window control buttons on Tiger (i.e. MacOS 10.4) are (from left to right) Close, Minimise and Maximise; and the colours are Red, Amber and Green. To be completely the same as MacOS they should also contain the symbols 'X', '-' and '+' in the buttons. Fix all that and you have a near-perfect look-alike.
I'll look into it. Abby-Mac was a "quick-and-dirty" attempt to satisfy a few requests. I never leave these things be, so an updated version will include your suggestions. If you can give me a screenshot of the bar and buttons, I can make it identical. I don't have a Mac of any sort myself.

Cheers
Last edited by WhoDo on Wed 14 May 2008, 10:01, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

nic2109

#80 Post by nic2109 »

WhoDo wrote: If you can give me a screenshot of the bar and buttons, I can make it identical. I don't have a Mac of any sort myself.

Cheers
Your wish is my command, oh Great Theme Master.

The screenshots demonstrate a few points about the MacOS GUI :-

The commands in the Task bar change according to which application has focus.

The window control buttons gain or lose their symbols (x, -, and +) according to whether the pointer is over them or not.

The Dock is just the same as the Cairo Dock - but I'm not sure which copied which!

PS. Sorry about the size of the images: I am posting from the Mac and cannot find how to re-size them!

Eyes-Only

#81 Post by Eyes-Only »

Those are some very handsome screenshots Nick! And I should think that what with the excellent clarity of them WhoDo shouldn't have too much problem at all, what with knowing his abilities as I do. Of course the one thing which I was never able to copy over into a Linux theme (outside of the KDE desktop that is) was how Mac's place the menubar into the "taskbar". I was able, however, when making a "Faux-Mac" theme using my shell on 98se to recreate a "pseudo-effect" which looked like the Mac menubar but didn't work of course as the words were printed into a "3rd layer" which would show. Rather complicated to explain unless you worked with the shell programme unfortunately.

Thanks though for those shots. Mac has one of the most beautiful and attractive GUIs around.

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

WhoDo

#82 Post by WhoDo »

nic2109 wrote:The screenshots demonstrate a few points about the MacOS GUI :-

The commands in the Task bar change according to which application has focus.
I can't do this with an IceWM theme, but it may be possible using HairyWill's launch panel in JWM.
nic2109 wrote:The window control buttons gain or lose their symbols (x, -, and +) according to whether the pointer is over them or not.
No problem here.
nic2109 wrote:The Dock is just the same as the Cairo Dock - but I'm not sure which copied which!
Some of the guys have managed to make a Cairo dock lookalike out of Wbar - easier to install and uses less resources. I'm pretty sure there's a Gtk-2 theme that will reproduce the other effects within the windows, too.
nic2109 wrote:PS. Sorry about the size of the images: I am posting from the Mac and cannot find how to re-size them!
Actually that worked out ok because I've saved the images to my machine and I can blow them up for better detail.

I won't be able to do it this weekend. I'm flying to Melbourne for my daughter's birthday and won't be back until Monday night. Give me a little while and I'll come back with an update that will incorporate most of what you want.

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

HairyWill

#83 Post by HairyWill »

WhoDo wrote:I can't do this with an IceWM theme, but it may be possible using HairyWill's launch panel in JWM.
nope sorry.
The contents of a jwm tray are fixed once jwm starts. You could bind buttons to dynamic launchers whose contents could be changed. You cannot change an icon in a jwm tray without restarting jwm
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

Joshas

#84 Post by Joshas »

There is a patch for GTK to display menu items in taskbar (Gnome and XFCE). More info here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=241868 . One could make a plugin for LXPanel to display menu items, but it would be a lot of work, and I'm not sure if it is worth it.

6tr6tr

#85 Post by 6tr6tr »

Botanic wrote:IceKDE-1.7
*** UPDATED - don't mind following posts related to this theme

So, here's the theme i created, designed to look like KDE 3.5 - at least that's what the taskbar, clock, start button, Rox icons, taskbar icons, window decorations and other minor items are here for.

Notes:
* the menu skeleton as shown in the screenshot is in ~/.icewm/menu_icekde, you can edit it to add your apps and rename it as "menu" to use it.
* this theme uses the DejaVuSans font. Be sure it's installed on your system
* the icon theme that goes with the theme (594 kb) is in /root/.icons/IceKDEicons
Thanks for the cool theme. I just have two questions since installing it:

1. Now when I open the menu, mousing over a "folder" does not open it. I have to click to open it (i.e. to open what's under the arrow). How do i ge that functionality back?

2. Under themes it's now collapsed the similarly named themes (which is fine) but put them under cryptic names. For example Quanx and Quanx-who are under "Q..." instead of "Quanx...".

6tr6tr

#86 Post by 6tr6tr »

OK, figured it out as well as a few other changes:

1. Open /root/.icewm/prefoverride
2. Add line:
MenuMouseTracking=1
3. Save
4. Restart IceWm (under StartMenu->Windows)

And then you can also add these lines to allow shutdown via the menu (Why wasn't it in there to begin with?)

ShutdownCommand="wmpoweroff"
RebootCommand="wmreboot"
ShowLogoutMenu=1

jeljr

#87 Post by jeljr »

I've been following this with interest as I am a Mac user, actually I'm on Puppy 90% of the time now, my wife has the G5 IMac. I like MacPup, especially the wbar and the window buttons being on the left side, wish it used 3.01 though. I am also using NOP and the window features are great, the equivalent of OsX and Expose' where putting the cursor off screen in the upper right shows all open windows was one of the great extras with Tiger. Yes I dream of combining the two for a nearly complete Os X experience. I've noticed nobody has mentioned the scroll bar for paging up and down within a window has both direction arrows at the bottom of the scroll bar in OS X. It took some getting used to, but now I really like it. Don't know how complicated that would be to create. I've fiddled with ways to hide the wbar to simulate a true dock without any real success. Keep up the great work.
Joel

6tr6tr

#88 Post by 6tr6tr »

Some issues with IceKDE installed (anyone know how to fix?):

1. Clock is no longer clickable
2. When I set Network status to show in taskbar, it's invisible (but it is there and clickable, but the processes/cpu-load runs over the clickable space visually)
3. Seamonkey's icon space is still on the task bar but invisible (still clickable)

Also, does anyone know how to uninstall ice-kde? It's different than just a theme. It made some other major changes that, even when I choose other themes, it's still controlling/forcing certain things.

nic2109

#89 Post by nic2109 »

WhoDo wrote:Give me a little while and I'll come back with an update that will incorporate most of what you want.

Cheers
@WhoDo : how are you getting on? We're hungry!

WhoDo

#90 Post by WhoDo »

nic2109 wrote:@WhoDo : how are you getting on? We're hungry!
Patience my little ones. All will be ready in due time. :P

This is as far as I've gone. I used a real Leopard screenshot for guidance, in conjunction with the two images you supplied. The titlebar buttons are active and show the x, + and - when you hover the mouse over them.

I also used Geko's-Leopard Gtk-2 theme to get a more realistic feel, but I'm sure you'll find something even closer to the look you are seeking.

You'll have to modify Wbar or Cairo-dock to suit yourself. I wasn't prepared to get my system looking too Mac-like in case the wind changed and it stayed that way! :P

I have given you two choices of the menu button in /root/.icewm/themes/Abby-Leopard/taskbar directory.

Hope this is what you were looking for. I'm sure you can make some nice Crystal icons with reflections to make the Wbar effect even more Mac-like.

Cheers

Botanic

#91 Post by Botanic »

6tr6tr wrote:Some issues with IceKDE installed (anyone know how to fix?):

1. Clock is no longer clickable
2. When I set Network status to show in taskbar, it's invisible (but it is there and clickable, but the processes/cpu-load runs over the clickable space visually)
3. Seamonkey's icon space is still on the task bar but invisible (still clickable)
hello,
i don't think the clock thing is related to IceKDE. IceKDE just overrides TaskBarShowClock to 1 to be sure the clock is displayed, but for it to be clickable you need to look into your personal "preferences" file and set the line
ClockCommand="command_to_run"

i don't know what to tell you about icons and network status in taskbar... i guess i left it unchanged, because i used network and CPU status in JWM in the same way before switching to IceWM. you may want to look at TaskBarCPUSamples= and TaskBarNetSamples= if by any chance the dimensions are not correctly set.
6tr6tr wrote:Also, does anyone know how to uninstall ice-kde? It's different than just a theme. It made some other major changes that, even when I choose other themes, it's still controlling/forcing certain things.
that must be the icon theme. you can change it using ROX-filer configuration panel. (right-clic on a file in ROX, "Options", "Types" -> "Themes" and there select another icon set (ROX is the default).
Puppy 2.16 on HP Vectra VL400 - PIII 800 MHz - 320M RAM
Wary on Acer Aspire X3200 - Phenom X4 - 2.2GHz - 4G RAM

nic2109

#92 Post by nic2109 »

WhoDo wrote:

Cheers
Many thanks for this - it's seriously cool. I have a go with wbar myself.

I have another "Howto ..." request if I might presume on your patience.

After moving the Taskbar to the top it goes over the top of the top row of desktop icons - see screenshot. The rest of the desktop needs moving down by the taskbar depth. How can that be fixed?

WhoDo

#93 Post by WhoDo »

nic2109 wrote:After moving the Taskbar to the top it goes over the top of the top row of desktop icons - see screenshot. The rest of the desktop needs moving down by the taskbar depth. How can that be fixed?
Easy. You need Rox controlling the desktop. Right click any desktop icon and choose ROX-Filer>Options>Compatibility and check "Override window wanager wontrol of pinboard and panels" option.

cristo-father

#94 Post by cristo-father »

WhoDo wrote:

This is as far as I've gone. I used a real Leopard screenshot for guidance, in conjunction with the two images you supplied. The titlebar buttons are active and show the x, + and - when you hover the mouse over them.

I also used Geko's-Leopard Gtk-2 theme to get a more realistic feel, but I'm sure you'll find something even closer to the look you are seeking.

You'll have to modify Wbar or Cairo-dock to suit yourself. I wasn't prepared to get my system looking too Mac-like in case the wind changed and it stayed that way! :P

I have given you two choices of the menu button in /root/.icewm/themes/Abby-Leopard/taskbar directory.

Hope this is what you were looking for. I'm sure you can make some nice Crystal icons with reflections to make the Wbar effect even more Mac-like.

Cheers
Hi everyone, nice work WhoDo.
Could anyone tell me how to have that exact enviorment in icewm with the
upper bar in the bottom, without the wbar in the bottom and have icons
on my desktop in icewm.
A link to a how to or tutorial would be nice, btw i am using ubuntu (i do not have gnome installed just icewm).
Infinite thanks. :wink:

nic2109

#95 Post by nic2109 »

WhoDo wrote:
nic2109 wrote:After moving the Taskbar to the top it goes over the top of the top row of desktop icons - see screenshot. The rest of the desktop needs moving down by the taskbar depth. How can that be fixed?
Easy. You need Rox controlling the desktop. Right click any desktop icon and choose ROX-Filer>Options>Compatibility and check "Override window wanager wontrol of pinboard and panels" option.
Sorry WhoDo, but that setting is already checked. Is there anything else to look for?