SMP & 64 Bit

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
John Doe

#16 Post by John Doe »

Dougal wrote:As for the problem with T2 and PFS, you need to keep somehting in mind: you are the first person who got up off their arse and actually used PFS! Barry created it and no one has bothered using it...
i used it. it worked great because i downloaded all the packages when T2 still had them available. i pick through them sometimes for libraries.

the only major point i remember is that comm needed to be included in devx. perl build died on it. it was probably removed for size reasons.

i thought Barry mentioned in a post somewhere that he was messing around with the latest T2.
Dougal wrote:I used to go to their repositories, to get packages that match Puppy's libs -- then one day they suddenly disappeared!
i noticed also. wish i had "downloaded all" rather than "required".

althought to be completely honest, i find it's better to download everything one by one and build it up from scratch to understand exactly how it all works.

Dougal

#17 Post by Dougal »

John Doe wrote:i used it. it worked great because i downloaded all the packages when T2 still had them available. i pick through them sometimes for libraries.
Did you actually go all the way and create a new Puppy out of it?
I remembered someone mentioned right at the beginning that they'd started (couldn't remember if it was you or SHS), but I assumed it hadn't gone all the way... never saw the new Pup appear.

Barry mentioned thinking of it, but he also thought of using Slack as a base... I think he might need some encouragement to take the plunge and update the filesystem.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

halfmeg

#18 Post by halfmeg »

the only major point i remember is that comm needed to be included in devx. perl build died on it. it was probably removed for size reasons.
To John Doe:

I looked at your post about this in the forum. You had edited it thinking there was a dependency which hadn't been downloaded. Do you happen to remember what it was? Reason being, this is where I am currently getting the same message you posted:
!> Locating common programs...
!> I don't know where 'comm' is, and my life depends on it.
!> Go find a public domain implementation or fix your PATH setting!
!> Due to previous errors, no 1-perl.log file!
The above is when Puppy 2.17 is used. When using another Linux, I recieve a Policy.sh error message.

*edit - After installing coreutils pet package the Perl build no longer gives an error

To Barry :

The following source ( 1st line ) is no longer available on the T2 mirrors having been removed for newer versions ( 2nd line) I suppose.

109.300 base man-pages 2.31 / extra/documentation 0
109.300 base man-pages 2.33 / extra/documentation 0

111.800 develop cvs 1.11.19 / base/development 0
111.800 develop cvs 1.11.22 / base/development 0

112.600 xorg xf86-video-nsc 2.7.6.5 / base/x11 0
112.600 xorg xf86-video-nsc 2.8.1 / base/x11 0

115.700 mail exim 4.62 / extra/server MTA JAIL 0
115.700 mail exim 4.63 / extra/server MTA JAIL 0

120.900 gnome2 glib 2.10.2 / extra/development 0
120.900 gnome2 glib 2.10.3 / extra/development 0

123.300 graphic lcms 1.14 / extra/multimedia 0
123.300 graphic lcms 1.15 / extra/multimedia 0

127.400 gnome2 pango 1.12.2 / extra/text 0
127.400 gnome2 pango 1.12.3 / extra/text 0

128.500 network samba 3.0.22 / extra/server NOPARALLEL 0
128.500 network samba 3.0.25b / extra/server NOPARALLEL 0

132.300 database sqlite 3.3.5 / base/library 0
132.300 database sqlite 3.4.1 / base/library 0

158.100 multimedia xvid 1.1.0 / extra/multimedia 0
158.100 multimedia xvidcore 1.1.3 / extra/multimedia 0

191.100 security openssh 4.3p2 / base/system extra/network 0
191.100 security openssh 4.5p1 / base/system extra/network 0

200.000 filesystem unionfs 1.2.0-20060503-0408 / extra/filesystem 0
200.000 filesystem unionfs 1.3 / extra/filesystem 0

I don't think it could find this one anywhere ( T2 mirror or original URL ).

142.700 graphic afpl-ghostscript 8.54 / extra/printing extra/office 0

Sorry to keep on about this but, as I stated before, T2 has no obligation to provide source to me as I haven't obtained any object distribution from them.

Without the specific source tar files which Puppy binaries were created from, no one can recreate or more specifically troubleshoot a particular problem without them.

Without source control, which some Puppy followers seem to think is someone else's responsibility, there is no stable release base.

My original intent was to attempt a 64bit-SMP Puppy. I now think I will be lucky to duplicate the devx_217.sfs contents. If I can't compare what I generate with the devx contents there would be no point in proceeding until they can be replicated to prove the build environment is correct.

Phil

John Doe

#19 Post by John Doe »

Dougal wrote:Did you actually go all the way and create a new Puppy out of it?
i scammed a couple librarys and apps out of it. had to rebuild the packages into pets manaually. i did manage to back them all up in case picking through them in the future helped.

but since then i've learned that sometimes it's best to go through package by package and build it one's self.
Dougal wrote:Barry mentioned thinking of it, but he also thought of using Slack as a base... I think he might need some encouragement to take the plunge and update the filesystem.
well let me try to encourage.

i made it all the way through back on 2.12 or so.

the biggest stumble i had was the comm thing which i didn't understand the real nature of the problem at the time.

unfortunatly the notes i took where lost somehow. i had planned to post them and was pissed i lost them.

perhaps i should just revisit the exercise and take notes again :-)

let's vote, you all want to have a thread on it? "Latest T2 using puppy 2.17.1"?

sound off.

halfmeg

#20 Post by halfmeg »

John Doe wrote:
let's vote, you all want to have a thread on it? "Latest T2 using puppy 2.17.1"?
I'm all for having a new thread concerning the build from scratch process. It will have to delve into using T2 config script. The current one is from September 2006. When I got past the Perl problem ( comm utility missing, fixed by installing PET coreutil package - new BusyBox has this in it BTW ( current BusyBox in 2.17 is version 1.01 most recent release is 1.6.1 ), it tried to compile the downloaded kernel. Even when I excluded linux26 in the packages, it would rebuild the packages file and attempt building it again. I haven't found where the 'saved' packages file is restored from. It looks like it automatically runs configure whenever a file is changed.

I downloaded some of the newer versions of the previously posted missing packages. Some of them are compiling, others have some type of prefix error. Other packages are giving odd messages as well.

Phil

tempestuous

#21 Post by tempestuous »

Full marks for attempting a 64bit rebuild of Puppy, but if the project gets too complex you might be interested in a 64bit port of Slackware -
http://slamd64.com/index.php?page=about

halfmeg

#22 Post by halfmeg »

tempestuous wrote:
you might be interested in a 64bit port of Slackware -
Slamd64 is using an older GCC and glibc IIRC. I have been using Vector 5.1 for over a year now for MythTV, but only with a single core and the Intel HDA sound isn't fully enabled in the kernel Vector is using. Another TV card I have not yet installed needs a later kernel as well. I figured playing with Puppy would be better than killing my Myth box.

So the compiles have finished and I have this output:

Finishing build.
-> Creating package database ...
!> Binary file for abiword-2.4.5.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for afpl-ghostscript-8.54.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for alsa-tools-1.0.11.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for atk-1.11.4.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for aumix-2.8.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for docbookx-412.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for dvdauthor-0.6.11.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for firefox-1.5.0.3.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for gaim-1.5.0.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for gftp-2.0.18.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for ghostscript-fonts-8.11.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for gimp-2.2.11.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for gimp-print-4.2.7.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for glib-2.10.2.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for glibmm-2.10.3.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for gnumeric-1.6.3.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for goffice-0.2.1.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for gqview-2.0.1.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for gtk+-2.8.17.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for gtk-engines-2.6.8.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for gtkmm-2.8.8.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for gxine-0.5.6.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for inkscape-0.43.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for lcms-1.14.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for libglade-2.5.1.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for libgnomecanvas-2.14.0.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for libgnomeprint-2.12.1.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for libgnomeprintui-2.12.1.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for libgsf-1.14.1.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for libidl-0.8.6.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for libmng-1.0.9.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for libsvg-0.1.4.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for libsvg-cairo-0.1.6.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for libxml-2.6.26.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for libxslt-1.1.15.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for libzvt-2.0.1.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for lighttpd-1.4.11.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for linux26-2.6.16.18.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for nmap-4.03.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for nvu-1.0.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for orbit2-2.14.0.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for pango-1.12.2.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for perl-glib-1.100.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for perl-gtk2-1.100.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for pstoedit-3.44.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for qt-3.3.6.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for samba-3.0.22.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for sane-backends-1.0.17.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for sane-frontends-1.0.14.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for seamonkey-1.0.4.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for sqlite-3.3.5.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for sweep-0.9.1.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for sylpheed-2.2.4.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for thunderbird-1.5.0.2.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for wxwidgets24-2.4.2.4.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for xcdroast-0.98alpha15.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for xchat-2.6.2.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for xf86-video-nsc-2.7.6.5.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for xsane-0.991.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
!> Binary file for xvid-1.1.0.tar.gz not present. Skipped in package database.
-> Creating output image .
#

Some of these were downloaded and skipped compiliation due to checksum mismatch ( possibly no longer on T2 but retrieved from original URL ). Some had strange prefix error message output during build and build aborted.

Remember this is still original Puppy devx_217.sfs and T2 build scripts with no changes since Sep 2006.

Phil

Dougal

#23 Post by Dougal »

halfmeg wrote:I don't think it could find this one anywhere ( T2 mirror or original URL ).

142.700 graphic afpl-ghostscript 8.54 / extra/printing extra/office 0
Barry just updated it for 2.17, so it's probably on puptrix.org -- a different version. Try going over Barry's blog entries.
Sorry to keep on about this but, as I stated before, T2 has no obligation to provide source to me as I haven't obtained any object distribution from them.
As I mentioned above, you can email Barry and probably get the sources from him (or he'll upload to puptrix what you want). He's not some Hans Reiser or Yorg Schilling or something like that...
Without source control, which some Puppy followers seem to think is someone else's responsibility, there is no stable release base.
There's nothing stable about Puppy.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

tempestuous

#24 Post by tempestuous »

halfmeg wrote:Another TV card I have not yet installed needs a later kernel as well.
I would be interested to know what TV card you're talking about.
Yes, Puppy 2.17 could be a good option for your MythTV setup. But an easier fix might be to upgrade Vector 5.1's kernel. You could even retain a certain level of compatibility with Puppy by using the kernel sources and kernel configuration from Puppy 2.17.

I, too, have MythTV working under Vector 5.1, though I don't have a TV tuner card. I seem to recall that the configuration of mysql was messy.
If you have a high-definition digital tuner card you might be interested to read my comments about MPlayer and XvMC accelerated MPEG2 playback here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=13216
halfmeg wrote:the Intel HDA sound isn't fully enabled in the kernel Vector is using.
I think that older versions of ALSA had problems with the Intel HDA chip. Barry reported this problem at one stage on the news page, and I seem to remember that the release of Puppy 2.17 was delayed until ALSA version 1.0.14 was available.
In any case, upgrading ALSA in your Vector Linux installation should fix the problem.

Sit Heel Speak

#25 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

@tempestuous: I'm curious, what vid card do you have?
John Doe wrote:...since then i've learned that sometimes it's best to go through package by package and build it one's self...i had planned to post them and was pissed i lost them...
I, too, noticed that the T2 sources had disappeared, between the time I first found them and the eventual moment I felt smart enough to use them. It was at that point I decided to start chopping steps up the steep Gentoo face. I expect that full sources will be available from that meta-distro's many mirrors worldwide, for as long as western civilization lasts. However, now that I've seen Barry's and tazoc's posts which enlighten me to the fact that there is such a thing as kernel-src_217.sfs, I anticipate that the job of compiling a ck-patched Puppy kernel under Puppy will be possible. Who knows, I may even succeed in compiling a stable rt-patched :lol:

tempestuous

#26 Post by tempestuous »

Sit Heel Speak,
I only just saw your post now.
I have an nVidia FX5200-based graphics card (Gigabyte GV-N52128DS) in my P2-350 development computer, and onboard Intel i815 in my P3-733 main computer.
The nVidia is totally XvMC compatible. Of course, the proprietary nVidia 3D driver must be used.

pyrael

#27 Post by pyrael »

Halfmeg,

Are you still working on a 64bit SMP puppy?

If so, What has been accomplished so far? I'm interested in doing the same thing but not including most of the apps as it appears you are. I'm planning on my build to be for folding at home only. So,I'd like to just keep the desktop (JWM probably) and enough tools/apps for it to work. abiword and most of the apps arent needed for my project.

Basically, I'd like to know what libraries, packages, etc are NEEDED to sucessfully build the OS. I'd assume I should be looking at a smaller list than what puppy currently has. -- By the way, I'm using puppy 3.0 and would like to stick with it :P

pyrael