Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 24 Apr 2014, 13:29
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
puppy, hylafax, and installing apps from sources....
Moderators: deshlab, Flash, GuestToo, Ian, JohnMurga, Lobster
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
3_jeeps

PostPosted: Fri 03 Aug 2007, 17:03    Post subject:  puppy, hylafax, and installing apps from sources....  

Hi All:

Here is the background: I am contemplating running a HDD install of puppy and want to run hylafax (a fax server) under puppu. Target platform is a 133mhz laptop with 80 MB RAM and 30 gb HD (4-8 gb partitions.)

q1: has anybody configured hylafax under puppy? If so, please provide me with some details..

My task: I assume the answer is 'NO' to q1, so I plan on doing it, which means getting the hylafax src, and building it from scratch. Now I need to ask specific questions:

q2: Do any of the following come with puppy? if not, which of the following can be installed under puppy (fairly easily): gcc, libg++, libtiff, ghostscript, awk, sendmail(or metamail)?

q3: What is the procedure/guidelines for building an application that will run under puppy?

q4: How does one check the presence of an application that hylafax needs? For example, with RH/FC, typing 'rpm program_name' will tell if the program is installed.

q5: Are installers such as apt-get or dpkg installed and work in puppy?

Thanks for feedback on any of these questions.
J
muggins

PostPosted: Sat 04 Aug 2007, 08:20    Post subject:  

yo compile for puppy you need to download the compile squashfs file for your pupversion. e.g. for pup2.17 it's:

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/puppylinux/sfs_modules-2/devx_217.sfs

if you save this file to /mnt/home, then when you reboot, typing gcc -v should give the the version. as to hylafax, if you search the forum the idea has been suggested a few times, but nothing has eventuated.

libtiff, awk & ghostscript are all in the latest pups, don't know of sendmail or libg++.

as an alternative that might be easier, have you considered efax? it has several gui front-ends available:

http://www.cce.com/efax/relatedsoftware.html
3_jeeps

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug 2007, 11:17    Post subject: some additional questions....  

muggins wrote:
yo compile for puppy you need to download the compile squashfs file for your pupversion. e.g. for pup2.17 it's:

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/puppylinux/sfs_modules-2/devx_217.sfs

if you save this file to /mnt/home, then when you reboot, typing gcc -v should give the the version.

OK, does this provide the full C compiler + libraries??

Quote:

as to hylafax, if you search the forum the idea has been suggested a few times, but nothing has eventuated.

Thanks, I did, and it appears that it was not successfully accomplished...If it was, I would appreciate hearing about it.....

Quote:

libtiff, awk & ghostscript are all in the latest pups, don't know of sendmail or libg++.

What is the procedure for installing a program such as sendmail under puppy?

Quote:

as an alternative that might be easier, have you considered efax? it has several gui front-ends available:

http://www.cce.com/efax/relatedsoftware.html

Thanks for the pointer - I considered efax, but it seems to be a little lightweight for what I need. I want to both email to a recipient the FAX that has been received, as well as send an email that contains the doc to the FAX server and have it dial and send the FAX.
-J
muggins

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug 2007, 19:53    Post subject:  

i'm not sure about sendmail...if it's written in c/c++ then i suppose installation would entail ./configure && make && make install.
hushpuppy

PostPosted: Fri 17 Aug 2007, 14:37    Post subject:  

Re Hylafax :-

I've not installed Hylafax on Puppy, but remember compiling & using it on RedHat some years ago, RedHat 7.1 if i remember correctly.

I even wrote some windows software to talk to it, and installed it on a local companies network.

I might be able to help configure it if you need help, i'm sure it will come back to me. Smile

Dont remember any special compiler needs, but do remember it used to be a bit of a pain to get working correctly.
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Jump to: