How to print from Abiword?

Using applications, configuring, problems
gerry

How to print from Abiword?

#1 Post by gerry »

The Abiword version used in Puppy has a bug (or perhaps it's been lightened a bit too much).

EDIT: I just discovered next sentence is not true- it can affect even printers set up with a Gutenprint driver. "It won't affect many people- just those whose printer is not supported by Ghostprint/Gimpprint/Foomatic."

The problem is that if I set up my printer using the manufacturer's driver and CUPS, then when I open the Abiword print dialog, only the Generic postscript printer (and pdf file) are listed. Output to the Generic Postscript Printer goes to (I think!) Ghostprint. If I install Open Office, then my printer gets listed and I can print a document.

I don't want to keep Open office, as it is too big for my computer really, I've looked at downloading the latest stable Abiword, but their download site seems to be broken.

Any ideas? (Except get a new printer.)

Gerry
[/i]
Last edited by gerry on Wed 13 Feb 2008, 08:22, edited 1 time in total.

Dingo

#2 Post by Dingo »

Woof Woof! Gerry.

I use a simple workaround to print with my printer EPSON

in

- file
- print
select custom (see image attached)

and digit

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/lpr -P Name_of_your printer
I Use. with my EPSON Stylus Color D92:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/lpr -P EPSON_Stylus_D92_USB_1
Attachments
print_with_abiword.png
(26.26 KiB) Downloaded 2294 times

gerry

#3 Post by gerry »

Thanks.... I tried what I think is the equivalent entry for my printer, but all that happens is that Abiword closes instantly.

Gerry

Dingo

#4 Post by Dingo »

Mmmh.. What printer? (model)

You say
Gerry wrote:I don't want to keep Open office, as it is too big for my computer really
Do you know that you can use OpenOffice as sfs file without spending size on puppy filesystem?

see here

But, Because you want use Abiword, anyway we must solve your problem to allow you to use Abiword

gerry

#5 Post by gerry »

Canon i965. See my post in the printers forum.

Gerry

gerry

#6 Post by gerry »

Hi... so I've downloaded the Open Office sfs file, and parked it in the (Puppy 214) home directory, alongside all the Pup-save files. How do I run it?

(You're right- it has not so far used up any Puppy memory.)

Gerry

Dingo

#7 Post by Dingo »

Well. Be sure that your sfs file putted in /home/ directory has 301 (or version of Puppy you have currently) in your name (assuming you have downloaded OpenOffice_2.3.1.sfs, and are running Puppy 3.01, you must add 301 so: OpenOffice_301.sfs) but you are running Puppy 2.14, so you must add 214

If your file contains already the 214 string. you will find in /program/ OpenOffice executable (swriter, simpress, scalc, sdraw... and so on)

If not, add the 214 string, and reboot. next time you will relogged in Puppy the OpenOffice files will be in /program/

make a simlink in any directory you want from these files, clic on these and enjoy with OpenOffice!

gerry

#8 Post by gerry »

Couldn't get the Open office sfs to work with Puppy 214R, but it works with 301. But it takes ages to start, and is very sluggish in use. I ran TOP, and the Open Office writer uses 69% of memory (I have 256M), whereas Abiword only uses 10.6%. It does list my printer, though.

Out of interest, I installed Abiword in my Debian reference system, amd Open Office writer uses 24% of memory, and Abiword 6.6%.

But in Debian, Abiword lists my printer, and prints.

Incidentally...GIMP won't print in Puppy, but does in Debian.

So I think we users of unusual, unsupported printers, that need a custom driver (ie the manufacturer's driver, rather than Gutenprint etc) are on a hiding to nowhere with Puppy.

Gerry

Wosh

Printing from Abiword

#9 Post by Wosh »

Hi gerry

The printer support in Puppy Linux is a todo and not so convenient as in other distros.

Adding a printer to cups will not lead to an update to Abiword's/Gnumeric's or other application's printer list.

To solve your problem proceed as follows:

1. Start a console and enter abiword (Now all error messages will be displayed in the console)
2. Start printing with these settings:
... a) Printer: Generic Postscript
... b) Settings: default
... c) Location: lpr (if your printer is default in cups)
........................... or custom lpr -P MY-CUPS-PRINTER-NAME (if your printer is not default in cups).
3. Print

If you can't print the error wil be displayed within the console.
lpr: The printer class was not found means that the printer name typed in was wrong.
Segmentation fault....................................... will mean that something with the dialog or printer driver goes wrong.

I have a similiar problem with printing from epdfview to my HP710C. It ends with a segmentation fault if my default printer is HP710C but succeeds if I change the default to CUPS-PDF within cups. So you could try this too.

I hope I have helped you.
Wosh

MU

#10 Post by MU »

just an idea:
a while ago, Pakt released a newer version of cups (0.3, but I don't know what Cups-version this includes).
You might backup your save-file, and install that.
Maybe it fixes your errors.

http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Printing/
or:
http://puppyfiles.ca/dotpupsde/dotpups/Printing/

Or try Mini-Muppy for tests, it has Cups 1.3.5.
If that fixes your issues, I might try to make a dotpup, so that you can use it in your favourite puplett.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=25414

Mark

gerry

#11 Post by gerry »

Wosh..... tried running Abiword from console- no errors at print time, though there is an error about a missing mime icon when it starts up. But it doesn't print.

How do you set CUPS-PDF as a default printer in CUPS? I can't see it.

There are two ways I can see to print- one is to use the "Create a pdf file" option, then use a pdf viewer to print it- the viewer in Puppy 301 lists my printer OK, and it prints. Second is to install Ted. It's very basic, but it does most letter and simple documents, and the configured printers all appear on the list.

Applications are supposed to get a list of printers from /etc/printcap, and Abiword does if the printer is installed by XPDQ. But if the printer is installed by CUPS, the it doesn't. One difference is that in XPDQ, the entry in the file is very simple, and it is a LOCAL printer. If the entries are put into the printcap file by cups, they are for a remote printer, at localhost.

Open Office, the PDF viewers, and little simple Ted all get it right- it's only Abiword (and, possibly, GIMP) that don't get it.

I find it really annoying that, as you say, printing is still a "to do" in Puppy. There's a problem here with Abiword, and it's been there since CUPS was introduced (2.17). All the developers are too busy writing new bugs to be bothered to fix this one- they just keep on perpetuating it. Still, I've got two workarounds (PDF and Ted), so it's still Puppy For Ever!

Gerry

gerry

#12 Post by gerry »

Wosh- I tried running Abiword from the console again, and got the following:

Default lpr No print, and no message on console.

lpr -P printername No print, no message

lpr -P wrongname "Printer or class was not found"

Gerry

JB4x4

#13 Post by JB4x4 »

Gerry,

I tested again, this time with Puppy running in RAM, (no save file)

Puppy 3.01
Deskjet 3930
CUPS with PPD file downloaded from linuxprinting.org

Abiword and geany both printed. Abiword settings: Generic Postscript, Default, lpr.

I did need to set the Deskjet as Default or else it was sent to the PDF writer. Just curious, have you tried reloading from a fresh install (or running from RAM) to be sure your install isn't messed up.

JB

gerry

#14 Post by gerry »

JB4x4-
Well, I'm using live CD. But yes, the "install" is Ok, since printing is no problem with Open Office and Ted. I get the same situation with 214R, 217, and 301.

Currently using 301, printer is Canon i965, driver and ppd downloaded from Canon (Japan only), which is the only advice on Linuxprinting.

Gerry

gerry

#15 Post by gerry »

Having written the above, I thought I'd better check that the Linuxprinting entry had not been updated with something better. It has been updated with a user entry, but that is something that I tried months ago, and it is no good- the contributer suggests using the BJ8200 driver and Gutenprint, but that prints grey instead of black.

Gerry

tlchost

#16 Post by tlchost »

JB4x4 wrote:
Abiword and geany both printed. Abiword settings: Generic Postscript, Default, lpr.
I tried that with a Laser4 Plus and the printer tells me PC Load A4, yet in CUPS I have the printer set to use letter size.

disciple

#17 Post by disciple »

This was the opposite problem, but maybe something here will help: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 43&t=24868

tlchost

#18 Post by tlchost »

disciple wrote:This was the opposite problem, but maybe something here will help: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 43&t=24868
Thanks.....I looked in every version of ghostscript I saw...and in none of the referenced files did I find the A4 uncommented.

disciple

#19 Post by disciple »

Is Abiword actually set to use A4 or letter? You should be able to tell by zooming out until you can see the whole page, as letter is wider and shorter than A4.

MarkQ

Re: How to print from Abiword?

#20 Post by MarkQ »

gerry wrote:The Abiword version used in Puppy has a bug (or perhaps it's been lightened a bit too much).

[snip]

The problem is that if I set up my printer using the manufacturer's driver and CUPS, then when I open the Abiword print dialog, only the Generic postscript printer (and pdf file) are listed. Output to the Generic Postscript Printer goes to (I think!) Ghostprint. If I install Open Office, then my printer gets listed and I can print a document.

[snip]

Gerry
[/i]
Same problem here.
No solution for it, but maybe a helpful workaround: use Google Doc (http://docs.google.com) instead of Abiword.

Regards.
MarkQ