Printing with CUPS: Almost here ! (Finally HERE!)

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
rarsa

#46 Post by rarsa »

That's the result I was expecting. As you can see on this line

"lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Sep 6 09:02 foomatic-rip -> /usr/bin /foomatic-rip"

Foomatic-rip is installed. The Log shown that it had failed running it. foomatic-rip is a Perl script, so installing Perl should solve this issue. hopefully there will be no more issues.

rarsa

#47 Post by rarsa »

That's the result I was expecting. As you can see on this line

"lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Sep 6 09:02 foomatic-rip -> /usr/bin /foomatic-rip"

Foomatic-rip is installed. The Log you sent me before shows that it had failed running foomatic-rip. foomatic-rip is a Perl script, so installing Perl should solve this issue. hopefully there will be no more issues.

dewdrop

CUPS

#48 Post by dewdrop »

Hi Rarsa,

Hummmmm....

Here is a step by step on what I just did.

Dewdrop

Step by Step for Perl install.

1.Did the PupGet request, and installed Perl-5.8.0

rarsa

#49 Post by rarsa »

No, just change the logLevel to debug (in /etc/rc.d/rc.cups), try to print the test page and send me the log.

dewdrop

CUPS

#50 Post by dewdrop »

Hi Rarsa,

I'm thinking that the following Step by step will be useful for now and in the future. Please read it over and see if I have left anything important out.

The words in all caps would be the command line instructions and I'm not sure if they need to be in small letters or if it makes any difference one way or the other.

Dewdrop

Begin with a pristine install - I use Chubby Puppy on a Pocket CD-R (Mini CD - 210 Megabytes)
This means I do not have a pup001 file on my C Drive of WindowsXP - FAT32, but that one is created when I run the CD Install of Chubby Puppy.

After Puppy is running, use the PupGet and install the Perl program. Once perl is installed execute
the following from a Command Line:

PERL -H

This is to confirm that perl has indeed been installed. If it is installed, you should see many
lines of information.

I now believe that I have completed all necessary steps to begin trying to get CUPS up and running on my machine using Chubby Puppy.

The CUPS install begins:

1. Download the CUPS-INSTALL.TAR.GZ FILE.

2. Untar with TAR -XVZF CUPSINSTALL.TAR.GZ.

3. Open console and execute SH CUPS-INSTALL.SH

4. Execute SH ESPGS-INSTALL.SH

5. Execute SH HPIJS-INSTALL.SH

6. Restart CUPS with /ETC/RC.D/RC.CUPS RESTART

7. Open the browser and go to: http://localhost:631

8. Install the printer you have connected to your machine.
Follow the instructions on the localhost page to do the install.

9. Print a test page. ----- IF IT DID NOT PRINT --- DO THE FOLLOWING.

10. Tar the error_log file with the following command - from a command line:
TAR -CVZF LOG.TAR.GZ /VAR/LOG/CUPS/*

11. Delete the log file with the following command - from a command line:
RM -F /VAR/LOG/CUPS/ERROR_LOG

12. To open the CONFIGURATION file - from a command line:

LEAFPAD /ETC/CUPS/CUPSD.CONF

change the lines in the file as follows: locate the words "LogLevel info" and change that
to "LogLevel debug". Save and close the file.

13. Delete the log file with the following command - from a command line:
RM -F /VAR/LOG/CUPS/ERROR_LOG

14. Repeat steps 6 and 7 above.

15. Once at the localhost page, delete the printer that you previously installed by clicking on the
delete printer button and completing the steps.

16. Install a new printer and print a test page. If not successful, repeat the process from Step 10
thru Step 13.

rarsa

#51 Post by rarsa »

Here are some comments about your step by step instructions:

The linux command line is case sensitive so PERL and perl are not the same thing. The same with file names, folder names, parameters, etc.

This is:
- PERL -H ---> won't work
- Perl -h ---> won't work
- perl -H ---> won't work
- perl -h ---> will work.

When reading instructions or giving instructions, always make sure that you follow the correct case.

Deleting the log is so only the the steps after you delete it are included in the log you send me. You shouldn't routinelly delete them. Deleting the log does not improve or impair the printing.

The tar-ing of the file is just so you can post it to the forum when I need to see it. It has nothing to do with CUPS or with printing. If you are not planning to send the log to someone, there is no poing on tar-ing it.

When I request to change the LogLevel to debug is so I can get more detailed information about the problem. Changing the LogLevel does not improve or impair the printing in any way. You should normally set it to LogLevel info (or none) to prevent the log from growing too fast.

Step 15 is superfluous unless you select the wrong printer. At the point we are at, deleting and adding the same printing does nothing to improve the situation. We already know that you have CUPS and the drivers installed correctly. We are just trying to figure out if you are missing something else (like perl) or if you need different configuration parameters.

A very important step to understand is step 6. It is required after changes to the configuration file or after installing a new driver so CUPS is aware of the new configuration or drivers.

So these instructions don't really belong to the CUPS instructions, but they may be a nice reference for you as it's faster for me to say : "tar the file and send it to me" than always giving the command, specially now that you understand what each command does.

dewdrop

CUPS

#52 Post by dewdrop »

Hi Rarsa,

At the risk of being "hung by the neck until dead!" I'll tell you that the attached log file is from a new pristine install. I believe it is easier and faster for me to go thru the entire procedure with each attempt...it re-inforces the learning I'm experiencing, and I don't mind the repetitions.

I appreciate your comments on the step by step too. what we have embarked upon is a learning experience for me that you cannot imagine, so correct repetition of any of these tasks is important. Repeating them correctly is especially important for me right now....although it may very well be driving you bonkers.

Attached is the latest error log file.

Dewdrop
Attachments
log.tar.gz
(3.87 KiB) Downloaded 329 times

rarsa

#53 Post by rarsa »

Please change the LogLevel to info, try to print the test page and send me the log.

dewdrop

CUPS

#54 Post by dewdrop »

"Please change the LogLevel to info, try to print the test page and send me the log."

Rarsa,

I think I did what you requested.....see info from xterm...as follows:

BusyBox v0.60.5 (2004.09.18-02:04+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

# leafpad /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
# /etc/rc.d/rc.cups restart
cups: restarted scheduler.
# tar -cvzf log.tar.gz /var/log/cups/*
tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
var/log/cups/access_log
var/log/cups/error_log
#
#

And here is the log as an attachment.

Dewdrop
Attachments
log.tar.gz
(1.77 KiB) Downloaded 337 times

rarsa

#55 Post by rarsa »

Try getting the status and printing from the command line with the following commands

Code: Select all

lpstat -h localhost -t
echo "test" | lp
echo "Test1" > /dev/usb/lp0
And send me the result. (both the xterm and the log)
Last edited by rarsa on Thu 08 Sep 2005, 04:10, edited 1 time in total.

rarsa

#56 Post by rarsa »

By the way... What printer are you using?

Are you using the HP3320? If you have more than one printer, please send me the models, we may try with another one.

dewdrop

CUPS

#57 Post by dewdrop »

Hi Rarsa,

Let me start with a couple of questions.

1.I have the CUPS folder in the following path.

/root/my-applications/CUPS/

Does where I have the folder make any difference?

2.The log file ends up in the CUPS folder after I create it. Should it end up there? And, is it okay to delete it from that folder after I've sent it to you?

3.I am using the HP6540...and have been for the last 4 or 5 days. The other printer I have is the HP3320.
4.Here is the Xterm info........

BusyBox v0.60.5 (2004.09.18-02:04+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

# lpstat -h localhost -t
scheduler is running
system default destination: HP
device for HP: usb://6540?serial=MY49K3Q1MP040J
HP accepting requests since Jan 01 00:00
printer HP is idle. enabled since Jan 01 00:00
# echo "test" | lp
request id is HP-1 (1 file(s))
# echo "Test1" > /dev/usb/lp0
#
# tar -cvzf log.tar.gz /var/log/cups/*
tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
var/log/cups/access_log
var/log/cups/error_log
#

5.Something interesting just happened....
A. It sounded like the printer's carriage return activated, then nothing happened, but the on/off button began blinking.
B. Then after about a minute it sounded like the printer cycled thru a series of steps, but nothing happened. The on/off button continued to blink.
C. I then did the log proceedure...noted above in the Xterm info, and the printer then ejected a piece of paper with the word
Attachments
log.tar.gz
(676 Bytes) Downloaded 335 times

rarsa

#58 Post by rarsa »

1.I have the CUPS folder in the following path.
If you mean that you have the installation scripts in that folder, then it does not make any difference. CUPS does not look at those files, those are only used during the installation.
If you you mean something else, please let me know.
2.The log file ends up in the CUPS folder after I create it.
As you are not specifying a full path for the log.tar.gz file when you careate it, it will be created in the 'current folder'. That is the expectd behaviour and it really does not matter where it is as long as you know the location so you can send it.
3.I am using the HP6540
Please try the full procedure with the HP3320. It's not uncommon that one printer will print OK while the other one just refuses. When you name your printers in CUPS, please name it as HP6540 or HP3320 so I know which one you used when looking at the log, right now you are naming it just HP.

Are you connecting the HP3320 trhough USB or paralell?
5.Something interesting just happened...
Running the risk of sounding silly I have to ask: Is the printer "ON" when you are testing? I'm asking this because in windows you don't have to 'turn on' the printer, when you print it turns on automatically. This may not be the same in Linux. Make sure that the printer is ON.

I'm running out of options. I want you to try the HP3320 as I think that there is another way (the puppy way) to have the 6450 printing without CUPS.

dewdrop

CUPS

#59 Post by dewdrop »

Hi Rarsa,

I shall answer your questions first.

1. The CUPS folder question/answer. I was thinking that perhaps the location of the folder might have an effect on it's actions. In effect, the installation files once used could be deleted.

2. I use the xterm from the CUPS window, and that is why the log file ends up there. At first I didn't know where it would be, but once I learned that if I kept the Xterm window open during the procedure, the log file would end up in the CUPS folder (current folder) as you call it.

3. I am in the process of doing the full procedure on the HP3320, and the initial attempt failed. I am attaching the log file of that attempt to this posting. I have used the name HP3320 during the printer setup process on localhost:631, so that is the name I would expect you will see inside the log.

3a. The HP3320 is connected thru the USB port, as is the HP6540.

4. "Is the printer on?" - my response has to be "I think so". The ON/OFF button is illuminated, so I take that as meaning it is on.

I shall now go thru the process of deleting the log file, opening the configuration file and doing the leafpad procedure, restarting cups with that procedure and doing the lpstat -h localhost -t procedure....and the echo lines. Then I'll send you the results of that test in the next post.

Dewdrop
Attachments
log.tar.gz
(1.37 KiB) Downloaded 322 times

dewdrop

CUPS

#60 Post by dewdrop »

Hi Rarsa,

Here is my information from the second procedure. The log file is attached.

This time there was no activity from the printer during the second "Test1" procedure.

When I got to the leafpad information the LogLevel info was still there
Attachments
log.tar.gz
(1.18 KiB) Downloaded 318 times

dewdrop

CUPS

#61 Post by dewdrop »

Hi Rarsa,

Your last statement
I'm running out of options. I want you to try the HP3320 as I think that there is another way (the puppy way) to have the 6450 printing without CUPS.
I believe that I did the same procedures with the HP3320 printer.

I read your instructions above to mean that I should now reconnect the 6540 printer, and await whatever instructions you have from "the puppy way"...so I can try those on the HP6540.....unless you discover something with the second attempt with the HP3320, and wish me to try something over or new with that printer.

I await your commands

Dewdrop

rarsa

#62 Post by rarsa »

With the HP3320. Please set the LogLevel to "debug", try to print the test page and send me the log.

Did you install perl when you started fresh with the HP3320?

dewdrop

CUPS

#63 Post by dewdrop »

HI Rarsa,

I'll do as you request in your response in the morning.

As for now I'm off to catch some Zzzzz's

Dewdrop
Last edited by dewdrop on Fri 09 Sep 2005, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

dewdrop

CUPS

#64 Post by dewdrop »

Hi and Good Friday Morning Rarsa,

Here is the step by step for today's attempts, and 3 log files. I renamed the log files believing that it would not harm them.

I await further instructions.

Dewdrop

Step by step for 9-9-2005 Pristine Install.

1.Installed Internet Connection
2.Installed Morizot firewall
3.Installed perl
4.Untarred cups-install.tar.gz file
Attachments
log1.tar.gz
(1.36 KiB) Downloaded 386 times
log2.tar.gz
(4.74 KiB) Downloaded 399 times
log3.tar.gz
(5.65 KiB) Downloaded 406 times

edoc

Re: CUPS & Puppy Friendly Printer?

#65 Post by edoc »

Can anyone recommend an easily portable color printer that uses cheap or refillable color cartridges that don't produce easily smudged prints that has a wall wart (power adapter) that outputs 12-14vdc to power the printer and is likely to work well with Cups and Puppy?

How's that for a fussy request?

Cartridges: Had an Epson C84 but they wanted blood for the cartridges.

Ink Quality: Need to make some brochures from time to time so they need to be decent quality.

12-14vdc: Allows me to run it directly from emergency power.

doc
Last edited by edoc on Sat 10 Sep 2005, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603