Printing with CUPS: Almost here ! (Finally HERE!)

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
muggins

#181 Post by muggins »

i just bought an el-cheapo HP deskjet & followed rarsa's cups install guide. when i'd finished installing cups etc, and started up
http://localhost:631/ i could see that it was "almost seeing" my printer, (is that presque 'vu in french?), meaning that it was aware of my printer, but wasn't working.

i downloaded my printer' s ppd file from linuxprinting & installed this in /usr/share/cups/model , restarted cups, & worked straight away. i just thought i'd mention this as, like weffy said, although it might have been in the cups thread, it's quite a few posts to go through looking for such info.

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

Re: SIP compile errors

#182 Post by Billwho? »

baysoor wrote:I could not get anything working from pre-complied packages. The SIP package on linux packages.net is old. Is there a way to install RPM package in to Puppy?

So now I am trying to install hplip from source.
Problem 1. SIP fails to compile. I am getting bunch of errors. Can somebody try to compile this package. I am using default configure options.

http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/sip/download.php
I have been having the same problems trying to intall HPLIP on my computer. I alreay have printing working on the HP PSC 1410 All In One using the HPOJ included with Rarsa's cups install script but am now trying to get scanning to work and for this I need HPLIP.

I found that when I ran

Code: Select all

make
the script was trying to access files in /usr/include/python 2.4, but the pupget package fron the Grafpup site did not seem to install this directory ( guess the libraries or whatever are installed in Puppy elswhere ) so I removed the Python package and installed Python from source. Then tried again, this time successfully :D Thats this hurdle cleared. Now to move on untill I hit the next one.

Python source code can be downloaded from http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.4.3/
Note that the download links and the MD5SUM are near the bottom of the page.
Last edited by Billwho? on Thu 04 May 2006, 10:36, edited 1 time in total.
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.

sylverleaf1

Network printing problems

#183 Post by sylverleaf1 »

Hello!

I'm trying to print to either one of two network printers. Both are configured and both of them will print a test page, but neither of them will print anything *other* than said test page. CUPS will say that the file is sent and printed successfully, but nothing comes out of either printer. Both printers are using the HP Laserjet 1200 driver (works successfully on the network SuSE Linux machines).

- I have Puppy 1.0.8r1 installed to my hard drive and I have usr_devx mounted in /.
- I made sure that I have perl installed and that ls -la /usr/lib/cups/filter has everything it needs.
- I have espgs and hpijs installed.
- I have the custom HP Laserjet 1200 ppd installed to /usr/share/cups/model
- I changed the "LogLevel info" to "LogLevel debug" and included the .tar file.

I'm not sure what else I should do. Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
--Sylverleaf
Attachments
log.tar.gz
(5.08 KiB) Downloaded 433 times

dewdrop

Re: Network printing problems

#184 Post by dewdrop »

sylverleaf1 wrote:

- I have Puppy 1.0.8r1 installed to my hard drive and I have usr_devx mounted in /.
- I made sure that I have perl installed and that ls -la /usr/lib/cups/filter has everything it needs.
- I have espgs and hpijs installed.
- I have the custom HP Laserjet 1200 ppd installed to /usr/share/cups/model
- I changed the "LogLevel info" to "LogLevel debug" and included the .tar file.

I'm not sure what else I should do. Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
--Sylverleaf
Hi Sylverleaf,

The only suggestion I can make is on the need for perl to be installed. Since you already have usr_devx installed, they might be in conflict with each other. Try removing the perl file and see what happens.

Did you install the "cups-install.sh file also? As indicated in step #4 of Rarsa's instructions on the first page of this thread?

4. From the console execute "sh cups-install.sh"

I'll have to leave the reading of the log file to Rarsa, since he's the one that really knows what's going on here.

Let us know if either of the above ideas help.

dewdrop

rarsa

#185 Post by rarsa »

Two observations and a question

A) The log does not show anything unusual. It actually looks as if it sent the job to the printer and that it finished correctly.

B) When I've printed to network printers with CUPS, I haven't had to install the driver on the client computer. I've just installed cups, started the cups configuration page and I'm able to see the networked printers.

C) Is that log from the client computer or from the server computer?
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

sylverleaf1

Network printers

#186 Post by sylverleaf1 »

I installed cups using the cups-install script that rarsa wrote.

Perl is installed in /.usr_devx and I don't have any other versions of perl installed on this computer.

On a hunch, I checked /tmp/. I found a copy of the file that I was trying to print (not a big surprise) and xerrs.txt. Since xerrs.txt was saying that my file was not found, I tried changing the file name to one word. Now, it prints out a blank sheet of paper. Any thoughts?

Side note: Since I'm trying to keep in mind that we are trying to move about 50 to 60 Windows users to Linux computers, I'm trying to think of a way to get CUPS to print files with spaces in the filenames. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
--Sylverleaf

It wouldn't even print the test page until I had the driver for the printer installed.

This is trying to get the printing from the computer that I want to function as the client. I thought that I had to have both client and server on this machine.
--Sylverleaf

Update: 5-8-06
I went back and read the instructions. Since rarsa said that it was working with a pristine pup001 file, I decided to try booting from CD. I booted from CD, then ran only the cups script and configured the printer (same settings as before), but now it tells me that all the jobs are aborted. Go figure.
--Sylverleaf

bacenter

#187 Post by bacenter »

I tried to follow the instructions in rarsa's post http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... k&start=96

I think got cups installed, then I went to:

http://localhost:631/

That opened the main page, but when I try to go somewhere else, or try to add a printer, the browser does not go, I just get on mozilla: waiting for localhost... (as when you are surfing a website and you have a slow connection).

Dont know what happen, would like any idea or help.
Jesus KYRIOS, Jesus is the LORD

dewdrop

Printing with CUPS

#188 Post by dewdrop »

Hi Sylvrleaf and Bacenter,

I'll try to answer both of your posts with this one.

For both of you.....

It would be helpful if you would indicate which version of Puppy you are using, and the make/model of the printer you are trying to get working. Please include these items in your replies. That way, if I can't help any further, Rarsa will have the information he would need to give you more in depth technical help.

Sylvrleaf - you didn't mention installing anything other than the cups-install portion of the 3 files that open when you downloaded and ran the file that is included with Rarsa's September 9th, 2005, post. It is my understanding that all 3 of those files must be run ----- try these instructions....copied from Rarsa's post mentioned above.

1. Download the cups-install.tar.gz file
(This file is found on that Sept 9th post - page 1 of this thread).
2. Open a console terminal and change folders to the folder where you downloaded the file.
3. Untar the cups-install.tar.gz with "tar -xvzf cups-install.tar.gz". This tar file includes the scripts to install cups. ESP Ghostscript and the hpijs driver.
4. From the console execute "sh cups-install.sh"
5. If you are printing to a remote CUPS server go to step 9, otherwise continue with step 6.
6. If your print drivers require ESP Ghost script, execute ""sh espgs-install.sh". (the hpijs driver needs it).
7. Install the CUPS drivers for the printers connected to your puppy computer according to your driver's instructions. Check in www.linuxprinting.org to find out the drivers required by your printer. These instructions include the hpijs, if your printer is suported just execute "sh hpijs-install.sh".
8. If your driver requires foomatic, you also need to install Perl. Don't use the Perl PupGet as it is a stripped down version. If you are using puppy 1.0.5 or newer download the usr_devx.sfs file. If you are using a puppy version prior to 1.0.5 downlad the attached perl installer, untar it and instal with "sh perl-5.8.6-install.sh"
9. Restart cups with "sh /etc/rc.d/rc.cups restart"
10. Open your browser and go to the following address http://localhost:631
11. Add your printer following the links on that page. If you already have a CUPS server that allow browsing you will see the shared printers there.
12. Print the test page

I understand that you do have the usr_devx.sfs file installed in the same location as the pup001 file, and that you are using a version of puppy newer than Puppy 1.0.5.

Would you try these instructions one more time and post your results please.

Thanks,

dewdrop

Bacenter.......

Would you also follow the instructions posted above for slyverleaf, and report what you get.

bacenter

#189 Post by bacenter »

Well,

I am using puppy 1.0.8 and the printer is LexmarkZ12, followed the instructions on the link I specified...

The problem I am having is single: I open cups and see the main page, but I am not able to go anywhere, when I click on "printers" or "Administrative Task", browser message is: Loading... but never loads.

Thanks for your help

those are the instructions:

1. Follow steps 1 to 6 from my instructions post http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=12248#12248

2. Download the foomatic filter to an empty folder clicking here ->http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/f ... ent.tar.gz

3. Compile and install the foomatic filters following my instructions in the wikki http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/Compiling.

4. Copy the file Lexmark-Z12-lxm3200-tweaked.ppd to /usr/share/cups/model and make it readable by all
Code:
chmod a+r Lexmark-Z12-lxm3200-tweaked.ppd

5. Open your favorite web browser and connect to http://localhost:631.
From the graphical CUPS configuration tool add a new printer.
Select the "Lexmark Z12, lxm3200-tweaked" from the list.
If everything went well now you can print a test page.
Something else:
This command does not work:
sh /etc/rc.d/rc.cups restart

I have to use
sh /etc/rc.d/rc.cups.new restart

dont know why, but the point is that I cannot navigate on the Cups HTML administration.

dewdrop

#190 Post by dewdrop »

Something else:
This command does not work:
sh /etc/rc.d/rc.cups restart

I have to use
sh /etc/rc.d/rc.cups.new restart

dont know why, but the point is that I cannot navigate on the Cups HTML administration.
Bacenter,

Interesting, and beyond my capabilities, I believe.

When Rarsa and I were going thru the work last year, more often than not when something didn't work, I would have usually forgotten to do the cups restart command. The fact that you need to use a modified version of it, even to bring up the http://localhost:631 page is interesting, but I know I can't give you an answer that will give you the results you seek.....getting your Lexmark Z12 working with Puppy 1.0.8.

About the only suggestion I have would be to go thru the install instructions on page one of the thread....the 1 thru 6 installs instructions, and try getting the CUPS page to open, using the normal request without specifying your Lexmark printer and see if Lexmark is one of the printer catagories listed. If it is, see if your machine is listed.

Also, I see that the link is broken on the foomatic filters instructions (#3) on the instructions you quoted in your reply. Do you need those instrctions again? If so, I'll get the right address for you.

You do have the usr_devx.sfs file installed where the pup001 file is located on your hard drive, right? I ask because I didn't see that you mentioned it in your posts.

Thanks for the swift reply. Please continue working to get your printer working. Since so many people have had good results with this thread, I'm sure you are not that far from success too.

dewdrop[

bacenter

#191 Post by bacenter »

please read next message
Last edited by bacenter on Fri 12 May 2006, 03:07, edited 1 time in total.

bacenter

#192 Post by bacenter »

Ok, its done, as you can see in the log there was a problem with PERL...

Now the problem is that prints in a terrible way, I have a color cartridge but appears to not to recognize it, printer thinks its a black one.

I would like to know the way I can admin the printer's cartrideges (i mean tunner). I cannot find that in cups admin HTMLs.

I also dont know if the problem is about cartridges alignment how to do it?

thanks

dewdrop

CUPS - finally here.

#193 Post by dewdrop »

bacenter wrote:Ok, its done, as you can see in the log there was a problem with PERL...

Now the problem is that prints in a terrible way, I have a color cartridge but appears to not to recognize it, printer thinks its a black one.

I would like to know the way I can admin the printer's cartrideges (i mean tunner). I cannot find that in cups admin HTMLs.

I also dont know if the problem is about cartridges alignment how to do it?

thanks
Hi Bacenter,

From your post, it appears that you do have your printer working with CUPS ... I do not see a log file attached to your posting.

However, you state that you have a color cartridge in your machine and it wants to print in black and white.

I believe that you now must look to your printer's instruction manual (or the internet) for answers to your questions about how to tell the machine that you are using a color cartiridge, or how to align your cartridge, since I do not believe that CUPS can answer those kinds of questions.

dewdrop

r__hughes

#194 Post by r__hughes »

This is just to add more printer info to the pot.

My Canon S520 colour bubblejet won't print in colour from Livepuppy108r1
(Parallel cable to AMD-K6 480MHz PC). Canon doesn't have a linux driver for this but
there is one from Turboprint which costs about $30 & is offered on a free trial basis
in 2 pkgs, a rpm file and a tarball. After much effort, trial & error my conclusion
is that turboprint-1.94-2.i386.rpm won't work with Livepuppy108r1 but the
turboprint-1.94-2.tgz will.

To get it working you need usr_devx.sfs sitting in the main drive directory
(eg the C:\ directory where the pup001 file is), you also need to install CUPS
before turboprint.

Method:
1-1) For safety sake make a backup copy of the pup001 file in case of problems.
Fire up puppy & ensure a live internet connection for the CUPS installation.

1-2) Make folder /root/my-applications/cups and into it put cups-install.tar.gz -
use Xterm here to:
tar -xvzf cups-install.tar.gz - giving
cups-install.sh
cupsconf.tar.gz (needed by above)
espgs-install.sh (not needed)
hpijs-install.sh (not needed)

1-3) Use Xterm to: sh cups-install.sh - Lots of action and ftp download - creating
many files incl /etc/cups entries.

1-4) Copy turboprint-1.94-2.tgz to / (not /root) then Xterm here to:
tar -xvzf turboprint-1.94-2.tgz - much action resulting in creation of turboprint-1.94
folder containing a setup file among other things. (NB: edit the system.cfg file to change
help-browser to Mozilla before starting setup). Use Xterm here to ./setup

a) 'Setup' window: English - press OK
b) 'Setup Option' window: printer spooler = CUPS - start installation
Xterm shows error messages:
# ./setup
chown: unknown user name: lp
chown: unknown user name: lp
chgrp: unknown group name: lp
chgrp: unknown group name: lp
c) 'Setup Protocol' window says everything found: - press OK
d) 'Registration window' (no key): - press OK
e) 'Want to start up xtpsetup?' window: switch printer on and press OK
f) 'Tpsetup' window : add printer (eg Canon S520), info says:
short name= tp0, device name= parallel:/dev/lp0
all looks good so press OK
g) print test page window : yes
printing starts after 5 secs with progress shown on Tpsetup window

drag /usr/bin/xtpsetup and xtpconfig to desktop for shortcuts to turpoprint utilities.
(http:\localhost:631 pages mirror these utilities, either can be used to add, del, set, modify,
read printer status) Turboprint can also check ink levels, clean nozzles, check alignment etc
localhost can also display print history.

(Note: / still contains turboprint-1.94-2.tgz and turboprint-1.94 folder at this stage.
Reboot puppy now causes these to vanish from / also starts cupsd process automatically)

Start Mozilla http:\\localhost:631 - check printer tab: shows printer installed (eg Canon_S520 printer
as tp0) print test page from here: note printout says AFPL ghostscript is active.

Click the xtpsetup & xtpconfig icons to access turboprint utilities. Info is same as cups
http:\\localhost:631

Results:
It works and in colour and quickly recognized & installed both parallel and USB printer
connections but the darned thing prints a logo over each & every colour print at 600dpi & higher.
The 300dpi setting is good for grayscale or B&W (better & faster than my original bj-8200) & has
no logo but the colour print at 300dpi is not good.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sources:
usr_devx.sfs ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/
cups-install.tar.gz http://www.murga.org/~puppy/download.php?id=650
turboprint-1.94-2.tgz http://www.turboprint.info/turboprint.html

Kudos to rarsa for developing a pupcups & dewdrop for testing it, et al who wrote
in this forum and the wiki.
Kudos also to whoever found out that the bj-8200 semi-works for the Canon S520
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the record, Turboprint-1.94-2 has the following printer drivers :

Brother HL1250, HL1270N, HL1450, HL1470N, HL1650, HL1670N, HL1850N, HL1870N,
HL5140, HL5150D, HL5170DN, HL6050, HL7050, HL8050
Canon BJ30, BJC1000, BJC150, BJC2000, BJC2100, BJC210, BJC240, BJC250, BJC3000,
BJC4000, BJC4100, BJC4200, BJC4300, BJC4400, BJC4550, BJC4650, BJC6000,
BJC600, BJC6100, BJC610, BJC6200, BJC620, BJC6500, BJC7000, BJC70, BJC7100,
BJC800, BJC8200, BJC8500, BJC85, i250, i255, i320, i350, i450, i455, i470D,
i475D, i550, i560, i6500, i70, i80, i850, i860, i865, i905D, i9100, i950,
i960, i965, i9900, i990, i9950, MP360, MP370, MP390, MP700, MP730, MPC190,
Multipass_F30, PIXMA_iP1000, PIXMA_iP1500, PIXMA_iP1600, PIXMA_iP2000,
PIXMA_iP2200, PIXMA_iP3000, PIXMA_iP4000R, PIXMA_iP4000, PIXMA_iP4200,
PIXMA_iP5000, PIXMA_iP5200, PIXMA_iP6000D, PIXMA_iP8500, PIXMA_MP110,
PIXMA_MP130, PIXMA_MP500, PIXMA_MP750, PIXMA_MP780, PIXMA_MP800,
S100, S200, S300, S330, S400, S450, S500, S520, S530, S600, S630, S750,
S800, S820, S830, S900, S4500, S6300, S9000
Epson C60, StylusC20UX, StylusC40UX, StylusC42, StylusC44, StylusC60, StylusC62,
StylusC64, StylusC66, StylusC70, StylusC80, StylusC82, StylusC84, StylusC86,
StylusColor1160, StylusColor1520, StylusColor200, StylusColor3000, StylusColor300,
StylusColor400, StylusColor440, StylusColor460, StylusColor480, StylusColor500,
StylusColor580, StylusColor600, StylusColor640, StylusColor660, StylusColor670,
StylusColor680, StylusColor740, StylusColor760, StylusColor777, StylusColor800,
StylusColor850, StylusColor860, StylusColor880, StylusColor900, StylusColor980,
StylusColorIIs, StylusColorII, StylusColor, StylusPhoto1200, StylusPhoto1270,
StylusPhoto1280, StylusPhoto1290, StylusPhoto2100, StylusPhoto2200, StylusPhoto700,
StylusPhoto750, StylusPhoto790, StylusPhoto810, StylusPhoto820, StylusPhoto830,
StylusPhoto870, StylusPhoto875, StylusPhoto890, StylusPhoto895, StylusPhoto900,
StylusPhoto915, StylusPhoto925, StylusPhoto950, StylusPhoto960, StylusPhotoEX,
StylusPhotoR1800, StylusPhotoR200, StylusPhotoR2400, StylusPhotoR300, StylusPhotoR800,
StylusPhotoRX500, StylusPhotoRX600, StylusPhoto, StylusPro, StylusProXL
HP ColorLaserJet4500, ColorLaserJet5, ColorLaserJet8500, DesignJet110, DesignJet130,
DesignJet30, DesignJet70, DesignJet90, DeskJet112xC, DeskJet122xC, DeskJet2500C,
DeskJet381x, DeskJet382x, DeskJet500C, DeskJet515x, DeskJet550C, DeskJet555x,
DeskJet565x, DeskJet585x, DeskJet600C, DeskJet612x, DeskJet6xxC, DeskJet81xC,
DeskJet82xC, DeskJet83xC, DeskJet84xC, DeskJet850C, DeskJet870C, DeskJet88xC,
DeskJet890C, DeskJet895C, DeskJet92xC, DeskJet93xC, DeskJet94xC, DeskJet95xC,
DeskJet96xC, DeskJet97xC, DeskJet98xC, DeskJet99xC, DeskJet, LaserJet1100,
LaserJet1200, LaserJet1300, LaserJet2100, LaserJet2200, LaserJet2300, LaserJet3,
LaserJet4000, LaserJet4100, LaserJet4200, LaserJet4L, LaserJet4plus, LaserJet4Si,
LaserJet4, LaserJet4V, LaserJet5000, LaserJet5100, LaserJet5Si, LaserJet5, LaserJet6,
LaserJet8000, LaserJet8100, PhotoSmart1000, PhotoSmart11xx, PhotoSmart12xx,
PhotoSmart13xx, PhotoSmart71xx, PhotoSmart73xx, PhotoSmart75xx
Image PPM
Last edited by r__hughes on Sat 20 May 2006, 00:57, edited 1 time in total.

dewdrop

CUPS - Finally here!

#195 Post by dewdrop »

r__hughes wrote:This is just to add more printer info to the pot.

Hi r_hughes:

All I can say is thank you for the compliment, and thank you very much for all the work you did adding valuable printer install info to this thread. WOW!!!

dewdrop

Taavi

Lost it with Puppy 2

#196 Post by Taavi »

Hi,

I was happily printing with cups and Puppy 1.08. But as I got to Puppy 2 I have not managed to get it working. I have installed cups and I get it right when I go to localhost:631. Everything looks fine but I can't print. I see the jobs there, but nothing else happens. There is this message by the printers state: "Unable to open USB device "usb:/dev/usb/lp0": No such device"
Device URI: usb:/dev/usb/lp0

Did I mess something?

Taavi

dewdrop

Re: Lost it with Puppy 2

#197 Post by dewdrop »

Taavi wrote:Hi,

I was happily printing with cups and Puppy 1.08. But as I got to Puppy 2 I have not managed to get it working. I have installed cups and I get it right when I go to localhost:631. Everything looks fine but I can't print. I see the jobs there, but nothing else happens. There is this message by the printers state: "Unable to open USB device "usb:/dev/usb/lp0": No such device"
Device URI: usb:/dev/usb/lp0

Did I mess something?

Taavi
Hi Taavi,

I'm not able to print with CUPS on Puppy2 yet either. I've been wondering why, and it might have something to do with the following:
1. Puppy2 has Xorg and Xvesa, but so does Puppy1.0.9CE, and I'm printing fine with CUPS there - using either Xorg or Xvesa.

2. It can't find usr_devx.sfs or there is some kind of conflict between it and the perl file that is included inside of Puppy2 (I believe I read one of Barry's comments on his developer's site about perl5.8.1 being included with Puppy2).

I'm going to send this post as a private message to both Barry and Rarsa, to get their input.

I have tried to use the chroot method of gaining access to programs I have on Ubuntu - which is installed on the hard drive of my system, - something I can do using either Xorg or Xvesa in 1.0.9. In Puppy2, I can get the chroot access using Xvesa, but not Xorg.

I know that things have changed between Puppy1.xx and Puppy2, I'm just not smart enough to be able to figure out how to handle the differences without a lot of help from the people that really know.

I'll ask Barry and Rarsa to post their replies to this thread when they have an answer.

dewdrop

cobelloy

#198 Post by cobelloy »

I also had an easy time getting cups on 108, but get no joy on 2.0

r__hughes

#199 Post by r__hughes »

I've just started using LivePuppy200-seamonkey and I've been checking out
the peripherals I was able to use in pup108r1.

Using the method I described above for puppyv108r1 I managed to install CUPS and Turboprint and get my Canon S520 (parallel port) printing in colour in puppy200 with no problem.

The only significant difference was that at the end of CUPS installation I got a 'missing Printer module error" but this didn't seem to affect anything.
Maybe this was due to lack of a usr_devx.sfs equivalent.

Before installing Turboprint I checked the CUPS localpage:631 for the inbuilt printers and they all seemed to be there - but of course I couldn't check any
of them.

Afterwards I added my printer using Turboprint's xtpsetup but a quick check using the CUPS localpage:631 showed CUPS could be used to add/delete/modify printers.

dewdrop

Re: Lost it with Puppy 2

#200 Post by dewdrop »

I'll ask Barry and Rarsa to post their replies to this thread when they have an answer.

dewdrop
For Taavi, r_huges, and cobelloy,

I just received word from Barry that the perl files are in conflict between Puppy2 and the one in devx_200.sfs. Barry will fix this conflict in the next release of Puppy2.

The devx_200.sfs file can be downloaded from here:

http://www.puppylinux.org/user/downloads.php?cat_id=12

It is big (45 megs).

Rarsa hasn't tried to install his printer yet into Puppy2, so I imagine he will await the fix from Barry too.

Dewdrop