Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 23 Jun 2018, 18:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Printing with CUPS: Almost here ! (Finally HERE!)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 12 of 16 [229 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 Next
baysoor

PostPosted: Fri 24 Feb 2006, 13:58    Post subject: SIP compile errors  

I could not get anything working from pre-complied packages. The SIP package on linux packages.net is old. Is there a way to install RPM package in to Puppy?

So now I am trying to install hplip from source.
Problem 1. SIP fails to compile. I am getting bunch of errors. Can somebody try to compile this package. I am using default configure options.

http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/sip/download.php
dewdrop

PostPosted: Fri 24 Feb 2006, 22:16    Post subject: CUPS  

Hi Baysoor,

I'm afraid your problem is beyong my ability to help. Hopefully MU will see your current post and try and lead you onward. You might send him a PM if he does not respond within a couple of days to your current question.

dewdrop
baysoor

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb 2006, 14:10    Post subject: I give up  

I give up. Not really but I did spend some serious time working on this and could not get it work within my abilities.

I was reading puppy main page and saw Barry talk about vectorlinux. So I ventured over to their forum and saw that they had more success.

I had some experience with slackware and they also supported my SCSI controller so I jumped ship, installed vector base and now the printer started working. (They had the same problem with serial mouse in Xwindow, but I had learned my lesson with puppy so no problem for me). Performance wise, I feel puppy was still fast on this machine even with IDE drive, and has better UI but my experience with vectorlinux is also approx. 23 hours. I hope that I will learn more to tweak it.

The scanner still does not work but for now I am ok. For those who are looking for solutions, vectorlinux has a compiled package that does not need snmp. With my limited puppy knowledge I could not get it working but I sure somebody here can import the package and puppyfy it.

Thanks again for all the support.
Eastern Counties

PostPosted: Sun 05 Mar 2006, 16:46    Post subject:  

Progress report with CUPS!
My neighbour downloaded the usr_devx.sfs file and I copied it into /mnt/home - my Red Hat 9 partition, which is where pup001 sits. I rebooted and restarted CUPS, but still no output from my Canon i250 printer - just a single blink from the green light when I sent the test page. I know that the drivers I downloaded from the Canon NZ site work because I use them on my RH9 partition and I assume they have installed OK because they show up as an option on localhost:631.

I then went through the whole proceedure again with a pristine pup002 (also in /mnt/home), but still no luck. I tried the Canon with various other drivers and got as far as getting the green printer lights to blink on and off as if going to print, but then nothing. The blinking lights suggest that the USB connection is OK, and Puppy lists the i250 as a USB device.

I had already tried each of the drivers in the Puppy PDQ print wizard and had also tried the PDQ-O-Matic install from linuxprinting.org, but without success. So it seems that maybe there is something that Puppy doesn't like about the Canon i250 and/or the drivers. The strange thing is that I have absolutely no problem with this printer and these drivers with my clunky old RH9 setup, and indeed, I reboot into RH9 to print (I keep all my data files in separate folders, not in pupxxx).

However, still keen to print in Puppy, I re-connected an old parallel port Epson Stylus Colour 400 printer and added it to my Puppy CUPS via localhost:631. As far as I can tell, instant success! The Epson has seriously blocked print heads, even though I have tried cleaning them, so it didn't actually print, but it looked and sounded as if it would have done if the ink could have got through.

So some progress after all. I'll try re-cleaning/replacing the print heads or see if I can find a secondhand Epson that works, and then I may have the luxury of direct Puppy printing!

Incidentally, does anybody know of other printers than the Epson Stylus that work with Puppy?

John
dewdrop

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar 2006, 00:28    Post subject: CUPS  

Eastern Counties wrote:
Progress report with CUPS!
My neighbour downloaded the usr_devx.sfs file and I copied it into /mnt/home - my Red Hat 9 partition, which is where pup001 sits. I rebooted and restarted CUPS, but still no output from my Canon i250 printer - just a single blink from the green light when I sent the test page.

However, still keen to print in Puppy, I re-connected an old parallel port Epson Stylus Colour 400 printer and added it to my Puppy CUPS via localhost:631. As far as I can tell, instant success! The Epson has seriously blocked print heads, even though I have tried cleaning them, so it didn't actually print, but it looked and sounded as if it would have done if the ink could have got through.

So some progress after all. I'll try re-cleaning/replacing the print heads or see if I can find a secondhand Epson that works, and then I may have the luxury of direct Puppy printing!

Incidentally, does anybody know of other printers than the Epson Stylus that work with Puppy?

John

Hey John,

Hurrah for you with the Epson....and too bad with the Canon.

However, I have been reading the LinuxPrint.org information about printers, and they basically claim that Canon doesn't work - aka (also known as) not Linux friendly, but a whole bunch of Epson's do. Go to this page, and select Epson for a listing of printers they believe will work with Linux in general.

http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi

I guess if you could get the clogged printheads cleaned, you would have the best of both worlds. One printer for your RH9, and a "resurrected" Epson for your Puppy needs.

I think if you look around the linuxprinting website, you might even find some info about how to clean the heads.

Thanks for keeping us updated, I'm sure your success is "sweet indeed" after all your efforts.

dewdrop
Eastern Counties

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar 2006, 08:12    Post subject: Re: CUPS  

However, I have been reading the LinuxPrint.org information about printers, and they basically claim that Canon doesn't work - aka (also known as) not Linux friendly

But to be fair, Canon New Zealand do provide Linux drivers and if the i250 works so well with Red Hat, presumably it does with other 'full size' distros as well.

Now, where is that big bottle of printhead cleaner?

John
GeoffS

PostPosted: Thu 16 Mar 2006, 17:55    Post subject: CUPS confusing  

Just a warning about CUPS that I have not found mentioned anywhere else - it maybe there, I just didn't find it. When you go into printer admin in CUPS it will find ALL the printers on the network. This will include any CUPS printers on other computers. This will include the very printer you are trying the configure. It should be ignored but it does look messy and it is very easy to get confused.
Geoff
Eastern Counties

PostPosted: Tue 21 Mar 2006, 13:44    Post subject:  

Just for the record, my Canon i250 is now working usning CUPS and TurboPrint. I re-installed TurboPrint but used the tar.gz file this time, whereas I had used the rpm download before. It worked straight away.

John
dewdrop

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar 2006, 22:50    Post subject: Cups - finally here  

Hi Puppys,

I read the following quote from Rarsa a few minutes ago, and thought it strange that he should call this thread a dormant project. I just checked the number of "views" that this thread has had and it is more than 10,500. I would say that any thread that has more than 10,000 views should be made a "sticky" so that it is permanently at the top of the topic area where it is located.

Quote:
CUPS is a dormant project as it actually does not seem fit for puppy and I haven't had time to dig deeper into ghostscript to add more drivers.

I have always been very proud of my association with this thread, and even with my limited knowledge, I hope my contribution to the world of Puppy has helped many people get "just the answer they need" when they needed it. When I started working on getting my printers to work with Rarsa's help, I had no idea it would lead to this.

I believe that Rarsa thinks that Cups is too big for the Puppy concept - small, fast, agile, etc., I just beg to differ and believe that a whole bunch of people are still using Puppy today because of the work we did. I know I am.

One point that Rarsa makes in the quoted passage is about adding more drivers into the ghostscript. That just might be where I need to add the driver for my Canon Printer to get it to work.....now, if I can just figure out how to do what Rarsa was talking about with ghostscript..... Smile

dewdrop
GeoffS

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar 2006, 23:24    Post subject: please 'NO'  

As 'dewdrop' says 'this is important'. Without CUPS I would not have stayed with puppy. My printers hang off a stand-alone print server and cups is the only way I can use them. I had very little problem with getting cups going thanks to all the advice here. I had more problem with turboprint which I needed for the Canon but even that was not too bad - however the printer has now died!!! Win one - lose one. Learnt quite a lot in the process though.
Please, keep the CUPS thread alive.
Geoff
rarsa

PostPosted: Thu 23 Mar 2006, 00:39    Post subject: Re: Cups - finally here  

dewdrop wrote:
I read the following quote from Rarsa a few minutes ago, and thought it strange that he should call this thread a dormant project...

Oops. I am sorry if I didn't express correctly what I meant. I didn't mean that people were not using it. Actually I use it my self. I meant that after the work that we did we haven't done more than helping people with their particular drivers and try to point them to the right direction.

dewdrop wrote:
I have always been very proud of my association with this thread, and even with my limited knowledge
And rightly so. This was the perfect example of how good will can take you quite far. I didn't know anything about CUPS when we started. It is also a living example that every one can have a big impact in puppy even when they think that they have limited knowledge. I am sure that many people (specially me) are thankfull for all the time you spent testing and sugesting improvements and the time that you now spend helping them to print.

dewdrop wrote:
I believe that Rarsa thinks that Cups is too big for the Puppy concept - small, fast, agile, etc.
You are correct. It is too heavy to include it on the liveCD and quite cumbersome to set up. I think that it would be worth exploring expanding the simpler queue manager included with Puppy. It may lead somewhere, it may not.

dewdrop wrote:
One point that Rarsa makes in the quoted passage is about adding more drivers into the ghostscript. That just might be where I need to add the driver for my Canon Printer to get it to work.....now, if I can just figure out how to do what Rarsa was talking about with ghostscript..... Smile
I wish I knew how to do it. I started trying to understand how it works but got sidetracked. For one reason or another I haven't been able to concentrate on Puppy recently.

I am sure that Barry has some notes somewhere, I've seen them but I don't remember it they are burried in an old thread.

Well, I hope you now know what I meant.

Sorry for the confusion.

weffy

PostPosted: Sun 16 Apr 2006, 12:42    Post subject: CUPS works  

After many hours of searching and several attempts, I finally succeeded in installing Cups and now my printer works! It is a HP officejet v40, a multifunction printer. I am running Puppy 1.0.8. It is very satisfying to have a fully functional computer and I really like Puppy.

However, I would like to suggest that the instructions for installing CUPS be more explicit in where to find the usr_devx.sfs file and how to download it. That isn´t really discussed until about page 9 or 10 of this thread and cost several hours to find for a noob like me.

Thanks to rarsa and dewdrop for their hard and successful quest to make printing work.
dewdrop

PostPosted: Sun 16 Apr 2006, 13:13    Post subject: Re: CUPS works  

weffy wrote:

However, I would like to suggest that the instructions for installing CUPS be more explicit in where to find the usr_devx.sfs file and how to download it. That isn´t really discussed until about page 9 or 10 of this thread and cost several hours to find for a noob like me.

Hi Weffy,

I'm about 48 hours away from returning to the US for the summer, so the work I describe below will have to wait until I get online again in about 10 days or so.

One of the things that I've been hoping to accomplish is review this entire thread and put together a "complete" how-to in my first posting.... it's the way the Forum is set up... you can only edit your own entries...and I would only be able to put it where my first post occured.

I know this will not help you, since you have already been successful in your printing quest, but thank you for your suggestion....we will act upon it.

The how-to would combine all the elements of Rarsa's work with pointers to where to get the downloads that he required

Quote:
Thanks to rarsa and dewdrop for their hard and successful quest to make printing work.

You are very kind. From the number of hits on this thread, I believe that our work has helped many with their printing needs. And, has helped to bring you, another happy Puppy user into the kennel... Smile
rarsa

PostPosted: Sun 16 Apr 2006, 13:52    Post subject: Re: CUPS works  

dewdrop wrote:
One of the things that I've been hoping to accomplish is review this entire thread and put together a "complete" how-to in my first posting.... it's the way the Forum is set up... you can only edit your own entries...and I would only be able to put it where my first post occured.

This would be awsome. I've meant to do that but never found the time. I agree. Instructions should not be on this thread.

Another thing I've wanted to do is to turn the scripts into a pupget and post it somewhere reliable. There werent any repositories when we did this but now I think there are several.

I think that a 'install wizard' for CUPS could help here. once you clean up the instructions I could use it as the 'spec' for the wizard. Unless... you want to write the wizard yourself Wink

Thank you!

cobelloy

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr 2006, 00:27    Post subject:  

Good Work!!

my printer works great in puppy 108, it is one of the few things that has stopped me using puppy as my main OS (also got ubuntu/winxp)

so much has improved since I first tried it, video, KDE, now printing!!

I think puppy will graduate into a big time main stream distro in the near future, if I were still a pristine noob and I could put in a disk and have kde boot straight up with open office, gimp, firefox/thunderbird, gaim and skype available, and a Xorg/printer/scanner/internet connection wizard available easily thats all I'd need - I have it all there now, but it took some (really easy) configuring to get it

puppy really hits the spot!!
Page 12 of 16 [229 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to: