CLI SMTP mailer

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
mcewanw

As for installing perl module Net::SSLeay on Puppy 2.17.1

#16 Post by mcewanw »

As for installing perl module Net::SSLeay on Puppy 2.17.1

In the readme provided in the tar.gz file it warns:

"You should use the same C compiler and options to compile OpenSSL, perl, and Net::SSLeay."

I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything right in trying to install the module (but I could be wrong...!), so I'm beginning to wonder if the version of perl in devx_217.sfs was compiled with a different C compiler than the one in there now? Seems unlikely, but I'm lost for ideas. I notice in the thread above that vovchik is using Puppy 2.10 not 2.17. I'd be grateful if anyone could find the time to simply try and install Net:SSLeay in Puppy 2.17.1 with devx_217.sfs loaded and let me know if they have the same problems (or not) that I do.

faulkmore

As u have learned Perl isn't easy to use.

#17 Post by faulkmore »

taking some time to code TLS support into 'email'. I read the source code and i'm sure you can look at the smtp pear module for php http://pear.php.net/package/Net_SMTP and figure out from that code how to put TLS support into 'email'. Since i've hacked Net_SMTP and have read through the code for 'email' both are very very similiar. cough cough besides being written in different languages. Issue with PHP is it is super embarrasingly slow. Lets face facts, PHP isn't compiled and optimized like C. So speed wise 'email' is unlikely to disappoint.

So while we are at it:
* pipelining (batch) support (hint hint Net SMTP should think about adding this)
* The NET_SMTP code will use the best authentication method that the smtp server supports. With 'email' we are hard coding which auth method to use in a config file. So 'email' will fail if the smtp server does not support that auth method. A very avoidable situation. Use the best auth method silly and stop expecting end users to know what an auth method is.
* Japanese iso-2022-jp support plz. Both in the subject and body. Input text will be either shift_jis or utf-8. Not at all likely to be euc-jp. Net SMTP will never have this... Most PHP modules are lacking multi-byte language support and always will. It's embarrassing and shameful.
* multi-threading. Why be content with a pea shotter when we can have an out of control machine gun.

Perl yuk....Regular expressions yuk...only single byte encoding support yuk...puppy not supporting grub yuk...no way to say no ty thus bypass upgrading to a higher version of puppy yuk...

Kind Regards,
Dave Faulkmore

mcewanw

TLS support in email

#18 Post by mcewanw »

Good to hear you are working on implementing TLS support into email Dave.

Yes, Perl is a Pain, (though maybe I just wish I had taken the time to learn it years ago!), but its universality on Linux means it can't be ignored.

Hope you manage to code TLS into that other app, but in the meantime, since TLS is already available via perl for sendEmail, I would still like to know how to solve my problem installing Net::SSLeay. (I am pretty sure the problem is a minor one). That done, and I have the TLS support I need. So if anyone can try to install that perl module, please let me know how you got on. That would be a big help for me!

vovchik

sendEmail installation problems

#19 Post by vovchik »

mcewanw:

I have experienced similar frustration in other contexts, so I can commiserate. However, I don't think you should give up entirely. My installation went relatively painlessly, once I had found the above-mentioned modules. I think I installed sockets::io first. I also did not use the "-t" switch; rather, I relied on pavlovian automatism with regard to perl module installation:

Code: Select all

perl ./Makefile.PL
make
make test
make install
Why don't you try installing without the "-t" switch and, if that fails, perhaps I can post the modules in question here.

regards,
vovchik

mcewanw

had tried that I'm afraid

#20 Post by mcewanw »

Had already tried it exactly as you say vovchik and even with the module versions you used. Tried installing in all combinations of order too. I think it is something to do with Puppy 2.17.1; I believe you used Puppy 2.10?
I'm using a clean install of 2.17.1 specially, and its no go.

mcewanw

maybe the modules?

#21 Post by mcewanw »

Of course, I'm only assuming I'm using the exact same modules you did, since the same version numbers. I get the IO socket one direct from CPAN but had to get the Net::SSLeay one (which is the problem module) elsewhere (having failed with the higher versioned CPAN one)... So maybe your module would work on Puppy 2.17.1, though for some reason I doubt it. I might try and get a hold of Puppy 2.10 and try on that, but its a lot of downloading to get all the bits with dialup.

Thanks for you help and offer though.

William

PS Its way past my bedtime again. In fact its tomorrow - daylight outside. I have to go :-)

vovchik

Net_SSLeay.pm-1.30 for sendEmail

#22 Post by vovchik »

mcewanw:

Try this one out. Perhaps it will work.....

regards,
vovchik
Attachments
Net_SSLeay.pm-1.30.tar.gz
(76.79 KiB) Downloaded 640 times

mcewanw

Thanks

#23 Post by mcewanw »

Thanks vovchik, I'll give that a try "tomorrow" (when I get up again in too few hours) :-)

mcewanw

Re: Net_SSLeay.pm-1.30 for sendEmail

#24 Post by mcewanw »

vovchik wrote:mcewanw:

Try this one out. Perhaps it will work.....

regards,
vovchik
No, sorry, on an absolutely clean install of Puppy Linux 2.17.1 with devx_217.sfs loaded, the Net_SSLeay.pm-1.30 file you sent me gave exactly the same errors as the other ones I tried installing. After untarring the file I tried:

perl ./Makefile.PL
make
make test
make install

But no go... Thanks for your help anyway.

I'll check the md5sums on my puppy 2.17.1 distribution and devx_217.sfs but I expect they are fine.

Oh well, I'll try again later when Puppy 2.20 comes out officially (I'll try 2.10 at some stage too probably, just to confirm that I'm not doing anything wrong. Can you just confirm the version of Puppy linux you have successfully installed it on.

Cheers

William (mcewanw)

mcewanw

same md5sum

#25 Post by mcewanw »

Actually I've just run md5sums on the file you sent and the one with the same version number that I already had. That confirmed that they are identical!

vovchik

Puppy versions

#26 Post by vovchik »

mcewan:

I have Puppy 2.10 (HD and frugal), Puppy 2.15CE, 2.16 and 2.17 under QEMU and an old version Puppy 1.07 on two old machines. I have only tried sendEmail on my 2.10 and am perfectly happy with it now that all modules are in place. I just may have been lucky during installation. The idea proposed above of modifying email to include TLS is great and will avoid perl dependency hell.

Regards,
vovchik

mcewanw

Re: Puppy versions

#27 Post by mcewanw »

vovchik wrote: The idea proposed above of modifying email to include TLS is great and will avoid perl dependency hell.
Yes, that would be the best.

I notice that the author of that email program would like to add TLS support to it, but doesn't know enough about it, so is looking for help.

Dave (Faulkmore) you should get in touch with him with your ideas!

mcewanw

edbrowse for CLI smtp email

#28 Post by mcewanw »

Hello vovchik

I don't know if you are still interested in CLI email capable programs, but I've been working with edbrowse for a while now, for other reasons, and it looks like it is capable of TLS too (though I've still to try that). I created a dotpet for it. Details here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26184

vovchik

#29 Post by vovchik »

Hi mcewanw,

I am still interested and have been waiting for "email" (cleancode.org) to post a new SSL-capable version - long promised. I have just downloaded edbrowse and will have a look. Thanks. What I like about cleancode's email is that the binary is less than 50k stripped, making it very suitable for lean puppies. Perhaps we should contact the author (run email -v to get the email address), and make a polite enquiry.

Regards,
vovchik

mcewanw

cleancode.org

#30 Post by mcewanw »

vovchik wrote:have been waiting for "email" (cleancode.org) to post a new SSL-capable version - long promised.
Yes, I've continued to regularly look at that site too, and keep thinking the SSL-capable version is about to be done, but not yet... And, yes, the size of that is a big attraction indeed.

vovchik

#31 Post by vovchik »

Dear mcewanw,

I just wrote to the author of email and enquired about the status of the SSL-enabled version. I hope I get a response. If I do, I'll post it.

Regards,
vovchik

vovchik

Good news - email with SSL coming soon

#32 Post by vovchik »

The author of email just replied to my message enquiring about the status of an SSS-enabled email. He had the following to say:
Funny I should get this e-mail from you right now as I'm writing some code for eMail as I type this.

Surprisingly, I have had quite a few number of e-mails in the past month about this same thing. It seems that even though email took a small hiatus, it is growing in popularity which is neat.

It's in the process of getting a completely makeover right now and the next release will have a more secure code base, better mime type support and TLS/SSL support, of course. The size of the original binary may grow a small bit, but not by much. Also, a new dependency will obviously be introduced which will be OpenSSL (or GnuTLS since it has OpenSSL wrappers).

I'm actually in the process of relocating to a new state in the next week, so I probably won't have anything done with it in the next week. However, I'm hoping to have a new version released by mid-March at the latest. Who knows, I may get extra ambitious in the next few days and crank it out sooner.

What I will do is keep this e-mail and hit you back when the release is final and give you a "heads-up" on it in case you guys are in a hurry for a new release or anything.
I think we will have a new version soon!

Regards,
vovchik

mcewanw

looking forwards to the next release

#33 Post by mcewanw »

Well done. It was clearly a good move contacting the program's author. Looking forwards to the SSL-capable version of the program being ready.

cleancode

#34 Post by cleancode »

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your support.

Just wanted to let the people that were waiting know, I release version 3.0.0 today and it contains TLS/SSL support. Finally, right?! :)

Please let me know if you have any issues so I can fix them!

Dean

trapster

#35 Post by trapster »

Here is a .pet compiled in 3.0 retro
Attachments
email-3.0.0.pet
Console based email with ssl support
(114.85 KiB) Downloaded 810 times
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko