Questions about NOP...

Using applications, configuring, problems
vientito

Questions about NOP...

#1 Post by vientito »

there's something that i can't seem to figure out. If i start the normal full version of puppy 2.16 or 2.17 first, then subsequent utilization of NOP disk would not seem to make any changes on desktop or application links. It seems as if nothing had changed at all. Isn't that NOP supposedly is a remastered version that consists of only a subset of applications that the default offers? How come clicking of browser no longer directs me to opera instead to seamonkey? in fact, when i check, opera does not even exist on path at all.

BUt if i start with pfix=ram or simply wipe out my pup_save.2fs, then viola NOP will come forth with new desktop. There's something i dun quite understand here. I thought pup-save.2fs only consists of environment data instead of full applications. what gives?

is there a solution that i can keep both without starting pfix=ram and simply having one pup_save.2fs around?

vientito

#2 Post by vientito »

i think i know the answer now to that problem. it's because of the puppy_217.sfs file that I copy to my windows partition that makes booting faster. original puppy uses this to start and so does the NOP version, i believe. so it ends up nothing has been changed. it still refers to the same set of applications.

Hence if i want speed booting, i got stuck because of this disk image that NOP is going to grab. I wonder if I could have another NOP image created with a different name and tell puppy to boot with a specified option to use this subset image. perhaps i am asking for too much.

in the meantime i guess i just have to deal with this. fast booting means I am stuck with one image.

Sage

#3 Post by Sage »

There's another little quirk of NOP (and other operations in other distros) that could cause problems. It takes an exceedingly long time (relatively) to install and reorganise with apparently no screen or other activity for prolonged periods. When I first tried it, I convinced my self that it had crashed, then I rebooted. But it hadn't! On one attempt, I got distracted with another machine and when I came back, everything had changed to NOP. Next time I watched it and saw new stuff gradually leak onto the desktop. It just needs one of those little progress bars with moving dots. I say 'just', but I've really no idea what might be involved.