browser bug, and easy fix

Please post any bugs you have found
miriam

browser bug, and easy fix

#1 Post by miriam »

This is something that had my puzzled for a while. When I'd click on a local html file to try to view it sometimes it would open and sometimes it wouldn't. After a while I realised that it was because either the filename or the path to the file had a space.

The fix is simple. Here it is:

It was solved by adding quotes around $COMTAIL on the second-last line of the shell script:
/usr/local/bin/mozstart

and putting quotes around $@ on the last line of the shell script:
/usr/lib/seamonkey-1.0.6/mozilla-bin
[color=blue]A life! Cool! Where can I download one of those from?[/color]

clarf

#2 Post by clarf »

Great tip miriam, i also had the same problems. The fix worked for me.

This is a simple fix that should be added to Puppy ISO, for a fast Windows users migration. A lot of folders name have spaces (My documents, Program files, shared folder, etc.). When you are a newbie linux user and you try to open the .html files in those folders, Mozilla just do nothing, then a inexperience user (like me) should think that it's a Mozilla or Puppy fault... :(

I also have problems with the backgroung application, it just crash opening folders with spaces in name. It starts to make the thumbnail and then crash, then i had to check Puppy save size for temp files, check pics size, and finally change manually the lastfolder file of Puppy background touse a new folder, i hope this can be fixed too...

miriam

#3 Post by miriam »

Hi clarf. By background application, do you mean rox -- the program that displays contents of folders and draws the thumbnails? Or do you use a different file browser? I haven't had this crashing problem. Many files and folders on my machines have spaces in their names. It makes viewing long lists much clearer and easier.

What version of Puppy are you using?
Do you run Puppy off a live CD or is it installed on your hard drive?
If it is installed, did you use the full install method where it takes over a partition for itself, or the co-exist method where it lives with another operating system as, I think, a pup_xxx.sfs file?
How much RAM do you have in your machine?

In the case of live CD or co-exist install, if you don't have much RAM then that might run out of space when viewing lots of thumbnails. It might crash some memory-hungry programs too. See if you can make room on one of your disks for a partition that you can let Puppy take over. That will use much less RAM.

clarf

#4 Post by clarf »

Hi miriam.

Excuse me for the mistake, when i talk of background app i mean Wallpaper app. This problem was also reported for another users: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=21017

I have puppy 2.17.1 and i have a big pup_save file. I think the problem is also related with folder's name with spaces...

miriam

#5 Post by miriam »

Ah... I see. I haven't had that problem. If MU doesn't get a chance to look at it, I might see if I can find a solution. (Did you notice he posted a preliminary reply to the wallpaper application post?)