NOP 2.17 Available NOW

News, happenings
klu9

torrent for NOP via LinuxTracker!

#46 Post by klu9 »

well I registered at http://LinuxTracker.org and uploaded a torrent for NOP 217up1, following the instructions in this Linux.com "Create your own distribution torrents" tutorial.

Here it is: {Edit: URL removed, resolving tracker problem right now}

only thing is, it says it's "External" not internal; i wonder if that means if I go offline, nobody can find the file?

Anyways, everybody with the file, please seed it in BitTorrent!!! Everybody interested in the file, try getting it by BitTorrent first!

noprob

torrent for NOP via LinuxTracker!

#47 Post by noprob »

NOP-217-up2 iso via mininova.org. using an open tracker from piratebay.org

since Linuxtracker seems to be having problems of late

This is the updated version of the 1up version.

NOP-217-up2.iso

Pleased be advised my upload is slow until noon EST (before noon= 3KB/after=20KB) untill midnight everyday

Nice work!
Last edited by noprob on Mon 13 Aug 2007, 07:22, edited 14 times in total.

puppynop

poweroof/reboot with NOP217.1

#48 Post by puppynop »

Re: poweroof/reboot with NOP217.1

They go as they should be using XORG but not with Xvesa in my desktop.

It is running well as my 3rd puppylinux flavor using 'Puppy2 XP-Installer.

All my puppies use the same extra applications (Open office, Firefox,etc.) which I installed (using DOTPUPs/PETs) in a linux partition (I have 1FAT32 for Win98, 1NTFS for WinXP, 1Ext3 for DOTPUPs/PETs) then creating shortcuts to the Desktop or Toolbar of my puppies.

I have another puppy which I boot using 'PUP4DOS' in Win98.

PuppyNOP is a great improvement/variant among the Puppy flavors especially to newbies. The fastest so far in my experience among the XfCEs.

klu9

#49 Post by klu9 »

at noprob > torrent
I was in Mandriva at the time, and used a cli tool called createtorrent, which for some reason kept attaching port numbers to the tracker URL, even tho I wasn-t specifying any. I then made one in pupctorrent but had to go off line before I could use it.

at gray or anyone> video
how do I get the nvidia drivers to work? I'm not interested in spinning cubes (yet) but xorgwizard always fails so I have to use xvesa at 1024x768 even tho my laptop-s screen is 1280x800.

Also I have failed to output to a TV via S-Video or ext monitor via VGA (altho xorgwizard detected the ext monitor, everything still happened on the laptop's screen). tried restarting X, ^ rebooting, to no avail.

at gray or anyone> keyboard
typing in NOP 217up1 now! :) But I have a Latin American keyboard, and changing to that in the puppy keyboard wizard doesn't seem to do anything. Do I need to restart X for an effect?

PS Puppy + Opera + Xfce + Thunar = Sweeeeeet! thx gray :D

gray

Xvesa Shutdown in NOP

#50 Post by gray »

I know what is causing shutdown problems when using Xvesa. The problem is in the .xinitrc file in the root directory. Edit the file using mousepad and either delete or comment out lines 37 to 40 ie

CURRENTWM="`cat /etc/windowmanager`"
if [ "$CURRENTWM" = "startxfce4" ];then
exec startxfce4
fi

Also comment out or delete line 44 ie
/usr/bin/autocutsel &

klu9: Getting the nvidia drivers to work can be a bit tricky as xorgwizard always seems to use the "nv" driver not the "nvidia" driver. You need to get an xorg.conf file created in the /etc/X11 folder which you can then edit and change the Driver in the Device section from Driver "nv" (or Driver "xvesa") to Driver "nvidia" then drop out of X (ctrl-alt-delete) and then enter the xwin command.

If xorgwizard wont work for you try using the generic driver option. ie select options in xorgwizard as follows;-
Xorg->Test->Test_x_now->Tweak->Generic_driver->Test_x_now->Finished->done
then enter xwin and when the windows fire up edit /ect/X11/xorg.conf (and any file like it except .conf0) as above.

or try nvidia-xconfig command on the command line before xwin

Getting TV out to work is covered in the forum somewhere - again hand edit of xorg.conf is needed.

or you can rename the files in /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers to make xorgwizard use the nvidia drivers ie rename nv_drv.so to onv_drv.so and link nvidia_drv.so to nv_drv.so

For the keyboard I am not sure for Xvesa but when you are finally using Xorg the keyboard wizard Advanced keyboard xorg configuration should work and you shouldnt need to restart X if you press the Set button.

gray

Nvidia drivers

#51 Post by gray »

I just tried something. An easy way to get the drivers to work is just to rename the nv_drv.so file to onv_drv.so then use the xorgwizard. The wizard picks up the nvidia driver before the onv driver file and uses it !

I have so much to learn (sigh). :shock:

klu9

#52 Post by klu9 »

@gray:
pfind found 2 files called nv_drv.so:
usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nv_drv.so
&
initrd/pup_ro2/usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nv_drv.so
Do I rename 1 or both? Also, I'm running in LiveCD mode: does that matter? Do I have to install first?

thx for your help.

klu9

NOP doesn't reboot/poweroff properly

#53 Post by klu9 »

installed NOP to flash drive via Puppy Universal Installer, but neither the LiveCD nor flash drive install restart/poweroff properly (for me; YMMV): using Quit>Restart or Quit>Shutdown just restarts xvesa & xfce.

in the terminal, reboot does the same. halt does stop the OS, but nothing is saved to the pup.sfs, so I have to redo x wizard, keyboard settings etc all over again.

<klu9 scratches head>

klu9

#54 Post by klu9 »

or maybe I shouldn't bother with any of my above problems: I just noticed there's a NOP-217-up2.iso on the tuxfamily server.

fingers crossed all my issues will be resolved! :D But I'll be good and wait for an official announcement before downloading.

gray

NOP

#55 Post by gray »

klu9: Did you edit the .xinitrc file as detailed above ? That should have fixed the shutdown problem for xvesa. To use xorg with the nvidia driver you only need to rename usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nv_drv.so to onv_drv.so and then run the xorgwizard.

Anyway, as you suspected an updated version of NOP (up2) is now available on the tuxfamily download site (will also upload to MU soon). Update 2 has replaced hv3 with the old stalwart dillo as i had hv3 crash on me a few times. It is only for viewing help docs anyway. I have corrected the .xinitrc and the nvidia driver is now used by xorgwizard. That should be it - I dont think there will be any more updates :oops: .

I have also made a goffice squash file for use with NOP for those who dont need all the power of the openoffice.sfs. The goffice.sfs contains abiword + gnumeric and inkscapelite. Get it from Tuxfamily. :D

Turpin

#56 Post by Turpin »

I'm stumped on how to install the NVidia drivers. My previous experience was with using the 2.12-2.13 dotpup in Pizzapup. That was fairly easy. So far, I'm absolutely pulling my hair out and neighbors think I'm a lunatic since switching to Puppy 2.17. This should be easy! It's the video driver. 3d. It's a basic function of the hardware. Why must it ... Stopping rant now. Please, anyone? I'm still stumped. I've been on this all day.

william7

#57 Post by william7 »

Well I have puppy since July and that what I saw today after booting NOP... Wow, geez it's cool...
Now we waiting for full KDE with puppy :wink:
Bravo.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#58 Post by Lobster »

Turpin wrote:I'm stumped on how to install the NVidia drivers.
Nvidia drivers have not been compiled for the new kernel in 2.17 - until they are Nvidia drivers will not work :cry:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

gray

NOP and Nvidia Drivers

#59 Post by gray »

Turpin,

NOP has the 9639 drivers built-in. The 9639 driver should support most Nvidia boards except the very old ones and the latest 8 series ???. Officially this is GeForce 2 MX series to GeForce 4 - but I have tried it on a 5 series, 6 series and several 7 series boards and it works fine for them too. If you have NOP 2.17 update 2 the nvidia driver should be used automatically by xorgwizard. If an earlier verision of NOP then you have to hand edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to change the "nv" driver to "nvidia" and rerun X.

There is a slight oversight :oops: in update 2 in that the delayed run script is called twice - it doesnt cause a problem, but if you comment out the line that calls delayedrun in the .xinitrc script in /root the boot up might be a bit faster.

klu9

#60 Post by klu9 »

Can more people please seed/share the NOP up2 torrent?

http://linuxtracker.org/torrents-details.php?id=4463

I'm trying to get it now, but only 1 other person sharing, with very slow upload to me.

Turpin

Re: NOP and Nvidia Drivers

#61 Post by Turpin »

gray wrote:Turpin,

NOP has the 9639 drivers built-in...
Very, very, very cool. Thank you so much. I hadn't noticed this thread was about Nearly Office Pup. If this works, I'll finally have my Windows replacement I've been looking for. And I'll be happy to be using OpenOffice again. I've been missing it.

Side thought, I'm planning on using a multisession DVD. I hope I can get 3d to work without using a hard drive install. I somehow did with Pizzapup, but ended up messing it up ( I know I could wipe out the later sessions, but I really wanted the newer goodies that Puppy 2.17 offers).

Sorry about the anger in my previous post. Puppy is, after all, a free operating system, and a beautiful, fast, portable one. Its multisession capability, in particular, makes it my favorite linux. I really want to see it catch on and improve.

william7

#62 Post by william7 »

When We will have NOP based on puppy 3.00...?

gray

Next NOP

#63 Post by gray »

The next NOP will be based on Puppy 3.01 (ie version 3.0 with the bugs fixed :roll: ), so could be a while yet.

puppynop

Puppy NOP 3.01

#64 Post by puppynop »

I'm waiting :D .

william7

#65 Post by william7 »

So do I.