NOP 2.17 Available NOW

News, happenings
Sage

#31 Post by Sage »

Ooooo! Families, wives, kids - you must be a mere slip of a lad!
When it gets to the prompt what does more /tmp/wmexitmode.txt give you ?
Don't quite understand what you want me to do? Should I do the 'sleep' & 'kill' edits first?

There seems to an issue between XVESA and XOrg, too. I usually use the former. I really can't understand the kiddies using XOrg and wanting to load 3D drivers with Puppy when they can run SuSE/F7 on a power machine!

Notwithstanding, I am finding Wolvix a very nice piece of work despite a few rough edges. It is very fast and even opens the CD tray! Installer & GRUB needs more work, but at least they are honest enough to warn about it first. I think it may be a Euro distro? - at least, the default k/b seems to be GB. It is a lot bigger than Puppy, though.

gray

NOP

#32 Post by gray »

Not a 'slip of a lad' - more middle aged.
Yes comment out the sleep & kill lines and try shutdown. At the prompt where I presume it stopped enter the more /tmp... line. I want to see if the wmpoweroff line is writing to that file correctly. I have just had a look at puppy 1.08 and the scripts dont seem that different, but guess what? 1.08 doesnt shut down on my PC !!

I run Xorg wiv 3D drivers. I run from a USB stick and have apps that I use in my work that need 3D acceleration. What I dont understand is this obsession with Beryl etc - that is eye candy of no use.

Yes I have had a look at Wolvix. It is shaping up into a nice distro, but for USB pendrive use nothing can touch Puppy.

Sage

#33 Post by Sage »

I can't do that, of course. When I rem those items and shutdown, I get to 'Power down'. The only thing I can do then is either press the OFF or RESET buttons! If I just edit the file, drop out of the session then re-enter WM and look for that file in /tmp - there is none!
There are two other irritations: the mouse default is set to double click, whereas most Linux distros default to single click.
When I forget to tangle with the k/b settings, I have to cut and paste the # sign as I can never remember where it is on foreign k/b s. NOP doesn't offer k/b selection at booting.
Tell me what else you want me to try.
Incidentally, running 'poweroff' at the console, as suggested by puppynop above, also recycles the desktop. That, definitely, is not supposed to happen!
Last edited by Sage on Fri 03 Aug 2007, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.

klu9

Re: NOP

#34 Post by klu9 »

gray wrote:Release of 2.17 was a bit rushed and too , err , experimental ? I think for Puppy 2.18 I wont produce a NOP version until the .1 version is out :roll:
ah, wise words for any distro. I usually find it pays to resist the urge to immediately download & burn the hot new .0 release and wait till a .1 release sneaks out a week or two later.
I was hoping to add the patches from 2.17 to 2.17.1 and then push out an updated version of NOP, but the 'updates' are too complex.
Just to be clear, does this mean there won't be an upgrade of the existing NOP 2.17? So I might as well go ahead & download the existing ISO to try out the new NOP?

gray

NOP update

#35 Post by gray »

klu9 : Yes I will put out an update for NOP, but I wont be starting from scratch with 2.17.1. So it will be 2.17 with some of the updates but not to a full .1 standard. I will include opera 2.22 also. Could be a day or too though.

Sage: I think I misunderstood where you were at in the shutdown. If you get to the message saying switch off your computer then I think the rest is an acpi thing.

mysticmarks

nop

#36 Post by mysticmarks »

People...GIVE THE MAN SOME CREDIT! Linux is not a easy beast to tame properly with all the possibilites. GRAY, its great that you've dabled and contributed your time and efforts to the community. I myself have not tried nop2.17 as i dont favor xfce. I do want to know why you worked so hard on this and DIDN'T include some engineering tools. Check into BRG cad. and i would love for you to beef it up as I myself do mechanical design. I'd love to shoot back and forth on some ideas. I'm actually developing a whole new linux distro sharing many of the principals your trying for, but a bit more extensive in functionality for all.

Hey folks instead of requests for HIM to do something for YOU. Why don't YOU give it a shot and se if YOU can contribute to HIS efforts and ultimatley puppy.

Sage

#37 Post by Sage »

By a quirk of fate. I may have found the error. Normally, I never use the <Log Out> option with Puppy (why would I when everything is working and I don't want to make major changes). Any road up, I did it! What has happened is that the Log Out (which often just recycles the desktop in compact distros) has become swapped with the Power Off buttons. Probably a trivial thing to fix for coders?
Otherwise, yes I know about the acpi thing, but it's a cop out - it shouldn't be necessary to fiddle with it for bog std. HW. Many of the other distros WILL shutdown a SiS chipset without the need for user interaction. Some folks out there obviously know how it should be done!

cb88

#38 Post by cb88 »

of course beryl is eye candy and of no use to many people as far as that goes kde is worthless slow ect... i get along just fine with jwm. but beryl is fun to use and looks cool and i am only moderately obsessed.

my 3d drivers are working with the 3d apps i have tried except beryl.
don't worry about geting it working if you don't want to somebody will get it working eventually. and nop is a great derivatve anyway thanks.

cb88

klu9

Re: NOP update

#39 Post by klu9 »

gray wrote:klu9 : Yes I will put out an update for NOP, but I wont be starting from scratch with 2.17.1. So it will be 2.17 with some of the updates but not to a full .1 standard. I will include opera 2.22 also. Could be a day or too though.
Thanks. Looking forward to it. :D

BTW you (or anyone with the ISO) might try registering at LinuxTracker.org and sharing NOP via BitTorrent in addition to regular uploading; that could help re hosting issues, changing URLs, broken downloads, traffic limits etc. (In fact, I'm downloading official 2.17.1 right now from a torrent listed at LinuxTracker.)

http://linuxtracker.org/faq.php#up2 - Guide to sharing a file at LinuxTracker using Azureus.

gray

NOP

#40 Post by gray »

Phew, that was a busy weekend. Finally got a bit of time for puppy today (Mon) :D .

Mysticmarks : I appreciate the support. The idea behind NOP is that is just a base system, mainly for installation on a USB pendrive, to which you add the openoffice sfs file to make a useable, no nonsense office pup. I personally then add my own sfs file with my engineering apps. I didn't intend it to be an engineers puppy as such - thats just how I use it.

Sage: The logout causing shutdown is wierd. Logout is handled in Xfce code, the shutdown and reboot call scripts. They are not cross wired - No idea why logout gives you a shutdown - but hey, if it works use it. :)

gray

NOP UPDATE

#41 Post by gray »

I have updated NOP 2.17 to bring it more inline with Puppy 2.17.1
ie updated Universal Installer, Net-setup, modprobe, cfdisk etc
Fixed the keyboard wizard bug
Updated the wmpoweroff & wmreboot scripts to comment out kill -9
Changed mksquashfs from LZMA to GZIP compression - this makes the iso bigger (95M) but fixes all the remastering problems (ie slow remaster & bummer boot up)
Also updated Opera to 9.22

Uploading to MU now - should be available for download soon.

Sage

#42 Post by Sage »

Where is it, gray?!

Later: Oh dear, Mark's bandwidth problem is back again!

MU

#43 Post by MU »

please try in 3 hours (1 am german time):
http://puppyisos.org/isos/2007-07-to-12/

Today there seems to be no attac, only extended usage, as also Lobsters Isos were just released.
So the server might be down for some hours the next 2-3 days.

Mark

gray

NOP download

#44 Post by gray »

Thanks MU

Also I am trying the TuxFamily hosting. So give this a go,

http://download.tuxfamily.org/nop/

klu9

#45 Post by klu9 »

up1 NOP update
thanks, Gray! now downloading from tuxfamily. (not very fast, ~25kbps but if it works, great!) I've updated the wiki page, too.

Screenshots
I wanted to put Imageshack clickable thumbnail versions of the screenshots on the wiki page, but I can't access the image attachments on the first page of this thread (no matter which browser I try, logged in or out). Could someone who has those screen shots, or can access them, please host them on imageshack and post the urls for the "succesful upload" page here? (you know, the imagshack page that shows all possible posting formats for an uploaded image). Thanks.

Straight to USB?
Is there a way I can install NOP (or any Puppy for that matter) straight to USB without burning it first?

klu9

torrent for NOP via LinuxTracker!

#46 Post by klu9 »

well I registered at http://LinuxTracker.org and uploaded a torrent for NOP 217up1, following the instructions in this Linux.com "Create your own distribution torrents" tutorial.

Here it is: {Edit: URL removed, resolving tracker problem right now}

only thing is, it says it's "External" not internal; i wonder if that means if I go offline, nobody can find the file?

Anyways, everybody with the file, please seed it in BitTorrent!!! Everybody interested in the file, try getting it by BitTorrent first!

noprob

torrent for NOP via LinuxTracker!

#47 Post by noprob »

NOP-217-up2 iso via mininova.org. using an open tracker from piratebay.org

since Linuxtracker seems to be having problems of late

This is the updated version of the 1up version.

NOP-217-up2.iso

Pleased be advised my upload is slow until noon EST (before noon= 3KB/after=20KB) untill midnight everyday

Nice work!
Last edited by noprob on Mon 13 Aug 2007, 07:22, edited 14 times in total.

puppynop

poweroof/reboot with NOP217.1

#48 Post by puppynop »

Re: poweroof/reboot with NOP217.1

They go as they should be using XORG but not with Xvesa in my desktop.

It is running well as my 3rd puppylinux flavor using 'Puppy2 XP-Installer.

All my puppies use the same extra applications (Open office, Firefox,etc.) which I installed (using DOTPUPs/PETs) in a linux partition (I have 1FAT32 for Win98, 1NTFS for WinXP, 1Ext3 for DOTPUPs/PETs) then creating shortcuts to the Desktop or Toolbar of my puppies.

I have another puppy which I boot using 'PUP4DOS' in Win98.

PuppyNOP is a great improvement/variant among the Puppy flavors especially to newbies. The fastest so far in my experience among the XfCEs.

klu9

#49 Post by klu9 »

at noprob > torrent
I was in Mandriva at the time, and used a cli tool called createtorrent, which for some reason kept attaching port numbers to the tracker URL, even tho I wasn-t specifying any. I then made one in pupctorrent but had to go off line before I could use it.

at gray or anyone> video
how do I get the nvidia drivers to work? I'm not interested in spinning cubes (yet) but xorgwizard always fails so I have to use xvesa at 1024x768 even tho my laptop-s screen is 1280x800.

Also I have failed to output to a TV via S-Video or ext monitor via VGA (altho xorgwizard detected the ext monitor, everything still happened on the laptop's screen). tried restarting X, ^ rebooting, to no avail.

at gray or anyone> keyboard
typing in NOP 217up1 now! :) But I have a Latin American keyboard, and changing to that in the puppy keyboard wizard doesn't seem to do anything. Do I need to restart X for an effect?

PS Puppy + Opera + Xfce + Thunar = Sweeeeeet! thx gray :D

gray

Xvesa Shutdown in NOP

#50 Post by gray »

I know what is causing shutdown problems when using Xvesa. The problem is in the .xinitrc file in the root directory. Edit the file using mousepad and either delete or comment out lines 37 to 40 ie

CURRENTWM="`cat /etc/windowmanager`"
if [ "$CURRENTWM" = "startxfce4" ];then
exec startxfce4
fi

Also comment out or delete line 44 ie
/usr/bin/autocutsel &

klu9: Getting the nvidia drivers to work can be a bit tricky as xorgwizard always seems to use the "nv" driver not the "nvidia" driver. You need to get an xorg.conf file created in the /etc/X11 folder which you can then edit and change the Driver in the Device section from Driver "nv" (or Driver "xvesa") to Driver "nvidia" then drop out of X (ctrl-alt-delete) and then enter the xwin command.

If xorgwizard wont work for you try using the generic driver option. ie select options in xorgwizard as follows;-
Xorg->Test->Test_x_now->Tweak->Generic_driver->Test_x_now->Finished->done
then enter xwin and when the windows fire up edit /ect/X11/xorg.conf (and any file like it except .conf0) as above.

or try nvidia-xconfig command on the command line before xwin

Getting TV out to work is covered in the forum somewhere - again hand edit of xorg.conf is needed.

or you can rename the files in /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers to make xorgwizard use the nvidia drivers ie rename nv_drv.so to onv_drv.so and link nvidia_drv.so to nv_drv.so

For the keyboard I am not sure for Xvesa but when you are finally using Xorg the keyboard wizard Advanced keyboard xorg configuration should work and you shouldnt need to restart X if you press the Set button.