Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 22 Jul 2014, 23:50
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
NOP 2.17 Available NOW
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 5 [68 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
gray

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jul 2007, 07:05    Post subject: Xfce delete  

cthisbear:

It sounds like you run from liveCD (or USB ?), in which case, as suggested by cb88, thunar moves files to the trash bin for the delete action and so eats up ram / space in the pupsave file, which is the likely source of the slow down. This is especially the case when trying to delete winblows mega files like pagefile.sys which is 400 Mb on my home computer and 2Gb at work !!! Sheesh Im amazed it didn't just crash ! - no that would be the MS crap again Laughing .

As it says in the Xfce docs, to permanently delete a file just hold down the shift key when selecting delete from the menu (or better still use the shift and delete keys - its quicker).

Xfce-Thunar was always going to be slower than JWM-Rox or Icewm-Rox. It is a considerably bigger and more complicated desktop, and we are spoiled by how unbelievably fast is standard puppy Surprised . But I wanted to give Xfce a try and I for one like its polished and professional nature, and as I stated in the first post, NOP is "for more modern machines" where the speed hit of Xfce is hardly noticeable. Besides, the Icewm approach is pretty well served now by the excellent Ezpup Smile .

Another factor is the LZMA compression. On modern machines this is a bonus, as time is saved loading a smaller file at boot up, but older machines suffer from the extra decompression times Crying or Very sad . I checked NOP 2.17 on my sons computer, a P3 550 with MX440 graphics card & 256Mb ram and it ran well (better than win98 !), but I would not recommend machines with much lower specs.

As the old adage goes "you cant please everyone", but NOP was made only to please me - if others find a use then great, if not then I wont shed a tear.

It sounds like you are better off using a cut down standard puppy, perhaps with a few extra system repair utilities - in effect a RescuePup. Why dont you make one ?
The great thing about Puppy is that ability to create just what you want. Very Happy
cthisbear

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jul 2007, 07:33    Post subject:  

" As the old adage goes "you cant please everyone", but NOP was made only to please me - if others find a use then great, if not then I wont shed a tear. "

Fair enough.

" (or better still use the shift and delete keys - its quicker). "

Ah! the old shift key routine Siegfried.
Chris
Inuyasha

PostPosted: Wed 01 Aug 2007, 00:17    Post subject:  

Would this version have better support for nVidia graphic's cards seeing as the newer kernel is being used?
Sage

PostPosted: Wed 01 Aug 2007, 04:42    Post subject:  

Folks using fancy graphics cards and asking for drivers/3D/Beryl/etc. are using the wrong distro!

When I started up NOP this morning, Opera offered an update. Is this something you could incorporate, gray?

This one doesn't shutdown. Shutdown just recycles it. At present I am using 'reboot' and pressing the big red HW button!
gray

PostPosted: Wed 01 Aug 2007, 07:24    Post subject: NOP 2.17  

Inuyasha : The nvidia 9639 drivers are built-in to NOP 2.17. These drivers support a wide range of nvidia cards (though not the very latest I think). I have tested on MX440, 7600GS and 7900GTX cards.

Sage: I was thinking of updating NOP 2.17 to include the new network wizard and universal installer, so I guess I could throw in Opera 9.22.

Regarding your shutdown problem, does standard puppy 2.17 shut down OK. It works fine for me on every machine I have tried. Try the different acpi cheat codes when booting.
Sage

PostPosted: Wed 01 Aug 2007, 07:41    Post subject:  

Shutdown: yes and no! On VIA chipsets, regular Puppy shuts down and turns off power. On SiS chipsets, it shuts down the OS leaving me at the Power Off prompt. On NOP, pressing the red top-right button and selecting Shut Down recycles back to the working desktop on all chipsets. Yes, I know all about acpi=force, etc but it would be nice to get it right like all other distros - I think, without exception?
Another patch for your next creation?!
puppynop

PostPosted: Wed 01 Aug 2007, 23:11    Post subject: 2 probs with 2.19NOP  

Very nice and very fast distro, no other xfce distro compares to it, however, I cannot use it using pup4DOS http://www.puppylinux.org/user/downloads.php?cat_id=12&download_id=48(similar to frugal HD install) or with puppy2 XP installer, all other versions of puppy work well, except 2.17 and 2.17 NOP. I also have shutdown/reboot just cycling back xfce.
puppynop

PostPosted: Thu 02 Aug 2007, 01:19    Post subject: ICONS  

And a question pls: how do I change the desktop icons? It seems they are locked.
gray

PostPosted: Thu 02 Aug 2007, 07:35    Post subject: Shutdown etc  

Puppynop : Unfortunately the Trash, Home and File System icons are locked by Xfce. Only way to change is edit the theme icons or install a new icon theme. The drives icon can be changed easily as it is one I added. Just right click on the icon and select edit launcher. Likewise new icons can be added by right clicking on an icon and selecting desktop & then create launcher.

Regarding shutdown issues I am very puzzled. Every machine i try works OK, and the scripts used are standard puppy 2.17 wmreboot & wmpoeroff.

Sage, could you do me a favour and try a few things?

1) edit /usr/X11R7/bin/wmpoweroff and comment out the 'sleep 1' and 'killall -9' lines & then try to shutdown.
2) (uncomment above lines) increase the sleep value to 2 or 3 seconds & try shutdown.

Cheers
Sage

PostPosted: Thu 02 Aug 2007, 09:40    Post subject:  

Bingo!/2, so to speak.
The first expedient, both items remmed, resulted in the expected answer for my SiS chipset, ie returned to a Power Off prompt. Doubtless this would switch off(actually - standby) on a VIA board.
Your second option failed to effect a shutdown.

Over to you, g.
PS. Hope you haven't gone to sleep down there, yet?
klu9

PostPosted: Thu 02 Aug 2007, 19:32    Post subject:  

thanks for NOP 2.17

you will soon release an upgrade? will that be a patch or a whole new ISO? if the latter, I'll wait till then to download, save the hosts some bandwidth.

oh, one more vote for including latest Opera in the update.
cb88

PostPosted: Thu 02 Aug 2007, 22:00    Post subject:  

opera and flash 9 yeah... could you do some tests for beryl/compiz-fusion compatability also not that it is nessecary but would be a nice addon.

cb88
puppynop

PostPosted: Fri 03 Aug 2007, 02:31    Post subject: strange shutdown/reboot behavior  

Did the ff:

"edit /usr/X11R7/bin/wmpoweroff and comment out the 'sleep 1' and 'killall -9' lines & then try to shutdown".

It worked, and was able to save session, sadly though, it worked only twice. I checked usr/X11R7/bin/wmpoweroff with no change i.e. 'sleep 1' and 'killall-9' lines are still uncommented.

As for the desktop icons:

chose no desktop icon settings, chose the nature backround and placed shortcuts at the top taskbar instead with the icons I prefer (from grafpup, pizzapup, etc.) Sorry, but I removed all the original shortcuts and enlarged the taskbar a bit.

Very nice indeed, but I am thinking if it is more practical, at least for the meantime, to have puppy 2.16 with xfce/thunar or icewm/thunar.
puppynop

PostPosted: Fri 03 Aug 2007, 05:22    Post subject: Poweroff with XORG  

That was using XVESA, but with XORG it proceeds to verbose mode to choose 'poweroff' or 'reboot' and shuts down cleanly saving the session.

Using XVESA, clicking 'run application' then 'poweroff', Xserver fails to restart, the computer shuts down but the session is not saved.
gray

PostPosted: Fri 03 Aug 2007, 06:03    Post subject: NOP  

Sage: Sorry mate Sad , I dont get much time on the computer during the week, what with running the kids to all their activities. 'Er indoors resents me spending time on on the computer too - she calls it 'the one eyed bitch" Twisted Evil

Anyway if I understand correctly with the kill -9 line commented out, NOP behaves like standard 2.17 ? When it gets to the prompt what does more /tmp/wmexitmode.txt give you ? I saw your comment regarding Puppy 1.08 shutting down correctly - I think I will download it and see what the differences are.

I was hoping to add the patches from 2.17 to 2.17.1 and then push out an updated version of NOP, but the 'updates' are too complex. Release of 2.17 was a bit rushed and too , err , experimental ? I think for Puppy 2.18 I wont produce a NOP version until the .1 version is out Rolling Eyes
Page 2 of 5 [68 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: