NOP 2.17 Available NOW

News, happenings
gray

NOP 2.17 Available NOW

#1 Post by gray »

NOP 2.17 (Nearly Office Pup) is about to hit the shelves...

NOP is a remaster of puppy designed to be run from a USB pendrive on more modern computers. It is nearly office pup because you have to download an OpenOffice squash file (.sfs) onto the pendrive where your puppysave file is located to turn it into a working dog.

NOP has had Abiword and Gnumeric removed, but you can always add them back in by package manager if you dont want to use OpenOffice. :wink:

The Seamonkey suite has also been removed, along with Gaim, to be replaced by Opera 9.20 with Flash 7 plugin (tried to get 9 to work but it does not like opera :? ).

The really big change is that JWM and ROX have also been removed and totally replaced by Xfce 4.4.1 as the window manager and Thunar as file manager. Xfce comes complete with some useful panel plugins and some cool gtk themes :D .

NOP also has the Nvidia 9639 drivers built-in and weighs in at only 86Mb !!!

Known issues : :roll:

Grafburn CD/DVD writer will go into endless loop and crash yor system if you do not set up the burner device in the preferences dialog.

You may have to drop out of X (ctrl-alt-backspace) and type nvidia-xconfig on the cmd line to get the 3D acceleration to work (or edit the xconf file and change the nv driver to nvidia).

Setting up alsa sound may corrupt the display of the Xfce panel etc. Drop out of X and restart with the xwin command to correct.

The sound mixer panel plugin seems a bit unstable and may crash xfce - recommend that you dont use it, use the mixer in the menu instead to set sound level.

If you upgrade any scripts that normally call rox you will have to edit them to comment out rox -D calls and replace rox or rox -d calls with thunar.

Here are some screen shots to whet your appetite.
Attachments
nop-stardust.png
(113.57 KiB) Downloaded 3937 times
nop-xp.png
(116.89 KiB) Downloaded 3969 times
nop-vista.png
(150.02 KiB) Downloaded 3870 times
Last edited by gray on Tue 07 Aug 2007, 10:49, edited 3 times in total.

cb88

#2 Post by cb88 »

This is awesome could other accelerated drivers be packaged in too for intel and ati. this could become beryl puppy with the addition of an sfs. Since you removed gaim could you add links to eqivalent web apps in opera maybe you could get some ideas from googlepuppy that kind of stuff is only usable while connected to the internet and the links woyldn't take up anyspace.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

The last NOP was excellent
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyNOP

Maybe some of the MyPup online links/apps would enhance still further?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 064#129064

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

gray

NOP 2.17 Now Available for Download

#4 Post by gray »

Get NOP 2.17 here !

http://puppyisos.org/isos/2007-07-to-12/

(thanks MU)

Could some folks please mirror this. Ta

cb88: I dont have ATI or Intel cards, so I dont know. I suspect it could be done, but would blow out the size considerably. As far as replacing Gaim goes, Opera has a very nice Chat application built-in as well as a very good Mail application.

Lobster: I will think about MyPup online apps for the next NOP. The idea is certainly attractive for those that dont want OO and are online.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

When downloading from MU's site just click on the file and then check the md5sum (wget will not work - to suppress leaching)

To ensure you do not interfere or combine with other versions - when booting use the option "puppy pfix=ram"

The keyboard wizard has been bypassed so you will have to run the wizard . . .
Did that and reran xorg but still getting " as @ . . .

I had to hunt around to set up the firewall and ethernet connection
as the layout is very different to other puplets

Right from the outset this feels good. Hm3 is used as the html viewer (for Puppy help files) and there are no games. The layout of menus is different, so takes a little getting used.

Opera and Xfce fans will be well pleased with this as will Nvidia users (I have an Nvidia card)

I take it you used unleashed? Anyway I am posting this from Hm3 (which is a full browser - you get Opera too), so far very impressed. Be interested how others get on :)

Thanks very much for making this available :)

gray

NOP

#6 Post by gray »

I remastered by removing packages by hand. On the first remaster the keyboard wizard at bootup had vanished :cry: . Dont know what happened - could be a bug in the remaster script. You can define keyboard setup using the Xfce settings - I think :? . I am still quite new to linux and am learning daily.

The layout is different - I am sure some people will not like it, but I am very impressed with Xfce4. I only intended Hv3 for use with help files, the full set of Xfce help docs are included, but it is a good browser in its own right. :)

Sage

#7 Post by Sage »

Very nice, again! Thanks.
Really cannot understand why BK messes around with Seamickey when Opera is just so much faster and professional!
No problems finding my way around. Isn't an en_AU k/b much the same as en_GB ??

gray

UK Keyboard

#8 Post by gray »

Sage,

The AU keyboard is actually more like the US keyboard. Australia has taken many bad habits from our american cousins. :wink:

Previously known as Guest

#9 Post by Previously known as Guest »

Mirrored:
http://pkagfiles.net > "click" puppy-mirror-isos > NOP

Don't bookmark actual directories as they will change.
Large files (iso,sfs) can also be uploaded here.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 015#114015

Sage

#10 Post by Sage »

Oh dear! No good will come of Republicanism, believe me! Take a look at the disaster those who went West, rather than East, have created. Hope you've got no plans to drive on the wrong side of the road down there?! Optimists will be reading from Confucius not Mr Websters' abomination; latter doesn't even understand the difference between 'transport' and 'transportation' !!!!! Come back Ned, all is forgiven.

gray

Keyboard Settings

#11 Post by gray »

There is a bug in NOP 2.17 for the Xorg keyboard settings. The xkbdconfigmanager script in/usr/local/bin points to the Xkbdconfigurationmanager in /usr/local whereas it is actually in /usr/local/apps. Best way to fix is to symlink the XkbdConfigurationManager folder to /usr/local (or edit the path to be correct in the script).

ie Open a Terminal. In the terminal type ln -s /usr/local/apps/XkbdConfigurationManager /usr/local

This should then allow you to change keyboard settings to the country layout of your choice

cthisbear

#12 Post by cthisbear »

Sorry...but I didn't like this release.
Thunar file manager would delete some files and not others.
Pagefile.sys...... refused to delete as well as.... hyberfil.sys.
And it was slow.

This wasn't a Windows issue as you can either delete all or nothing.
Obviously if XP doesn't shut down properly you can see the drive most times
but fail to move and or delete files and folders.
I always use Puppy to clean XP on customers computers
...in Documents and Settings etc...it's a beaut.
This release was sluggish compared to your first.

Apologies in advance........I am being negative ..but this release
wasn't the usual Puppy experience.

Chris

MU

#13 Post by MU »

rm -rf /mnt/hda1/pagefile.sys ;)

Well, we often have requests for a Puppy that looks and behaves like Windows.

Looking at the screenshot, this puplett is pretty close to this wish.
I think this really was needed to fulfill these wishes.

Advanced users can use the shell or install XFileExplorer (XFE) or mc if they prefer some more "power" :)

I really just can encourage to continue this puplett, maybe tweak it a bit to fix the reported issues.

Mark

cb88

#14 Post by cb88 »

I think I know what the problem is thunar is trying to copy/delete the files to the recycle bin and it is causing puppy to run low on ram therefore the file cannot be deleted also explains why it is running slow. this happened to me. moving the files to the hard disk solved the problem where i deleted part them then emptied the trash an finished deleteing

maybe add a force delete option and also add the mount sfs menu option.

does this have gtk 2.10? if so wow's latest compiz-fusion will run on this however beryl as compiled by wow will not says glxinfo and libglut are missing ect.. in the error messages. I think this may be due to the driver being 9639 and not 9629 as was used in earlier versions. i have installed beryl on 2.14 and 2.16

runs fretsonfire on my gefore2 mx 400 just fine get some /dev/sequencer errors in the console though.

I like thunar a lot better than rox

also hope you can get flash 9 working in opera

cb88

cthisbear

#15 Post by cthisbear »

MU " Well, we often have requests for a Puppy that looks and behaves like Windows. "

Hello MU.
No I wasn't looking at that.
All I was saying was that from Puppy 2.10? you could delete Windows files and folders and move them around.

This was not happening here with Puppy 2.17NOP, some deleted and some would not.

And it was slow. ...compared to the regular releases.
An honest assessment...but not a gracious one.
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
cb88
"I think I know what the problem is thunar is trying to copy/delete the files to the recycle bin and it is causing puppy to run low on ram therefore the file cannot be deleted also explains why it is running slow "

I will post a link to this and repost my answer elsewhere as to
why Puppy is useful for XP.

" Why I use Puppy for XP "

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=20312

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Here's what I do with Puppy on XP.

" Reboot Windows and copy the ...1 New Xp onto a DVD.
I can copy the contents of that onto a backup drive, USB...larger capacity,
another partition whatever.
So if Windows dies I have a pristine backup.
10000 viruses...I don't care..move the whole lot with Puppy to another folder....copy the new installation back to the drive..reboot Windows,
update AVG and scan the lot...and then safely bring the data...word docs,
pics, etc back to Documents and Settings. "

20 minutes tops.

Chris

gray

Xfce delete

#16 Post by gray »

cthisbear:

It sounds like you run from liveCD (or USB ?), in which case, as suggested by cb88, thunar moves files to the trash bin for the delete action and so eats up ram / space in the pupsave file, which is the likely source of the slow down. This is especially the case when trying to delete winblows mega files like pagefile.sys which is 400 Mb on my home computer and 2Gb at work !!! Sheesh Im amazed it didn't just crash ! - no that would be the MS crap again :lol: .

As it says in the Xfce docs, to permanently delete a file just hold down the shift key when selecting delete from the menu (or better still use the shift and delete keys - its quicker).

Xfce-Thunar was always going to be slower than JWM-Rox or Icewm-Rox. It is a considerably bigger and more complicated desktop, and we are spoiled by how unbelievably fast is standard puppy :o . But I wanted to give Xfce a try and I for one like its polished and professional nature, and as I stated in the first post, NOP is "for more modern machines" where the speed hit of Xfce is hardly noticeable. Besides, the Icewm approach is pretty well served now by the excellent Ezpup :) .

Another factor is the LZMA compression. On modern machines this is a bonus, as time is saved loading a smaller file at boot up, but older machines suffer from the extra decompression times :cry: . I checked NOP 2.17 on my sons computer, a P3 550 with MX440 graphics card & 256Mb ram and it ran well (better than win98 !), but I would not recommend machines with much lower specs.

As the old adage goes "you cant please everyone", but NOP was made only to please me - if others find a use then great, if not then I wont shed a tear.

It sounds like you are better off using a cut down standard puppy, perhaps with a few extra system repair utilities - in effect a RescuePup. Why dont you make one ?
The great thing about Puppy is that ability to create just what you want. :D

cthisbear

#17 Post by cthisbear »

" As the old adage goes "you cant please everyone", but NOP was made only to please me - if others find a use then great, if not then I wont shed a tear. "

Fair enough.

" (or better still use the shift and delete keys - its quicker). "

Ah! the old shift key routine Siegfried.
Chris

Inuyasha

#18 Post by Inuyasha »

Would this version have better support for nVidia graphic's cards seeing as the newer kernel is being used?

Sage

#19 Post by Sage »

Folks using fancy graphics cards and asking for drivers/3D/Beryl/etc. are using the wrong distro!

When I started up NOP this morning, Opera offered an update. Is this something you could incorporate, gray?

This one doesn't shutdown. Shutdown just recycles it. At present I am using 'reboot' and pressing the big red HW button!

gray

NOP 2.17

#20 Post by gray »

Inuyasha : The nvidia 9639 drivers are built-in to NOP 2.17. These drivers support a wide range of nvidia cards (though not the very latest I think). I have tested on MX440, 7600GS and 7900GTX cards.

Sage: I was thinking of updating NOP 2.17 to include the new network wizard and universal installer, so I guess I could throw in Opera 9.22.

Regarding your shutdown problem, does standard puppy 2.17 shut down OK. It works fine for me on every machine I have tried. Try the different acpi cheat codes when booting.